new study on nde's says they are real

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: new study on nde's says they are real

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Always the same 'ol same 'ol. y(:|
yup, when its not "amen", its "yes verily yes". :D
I was talk about the science refrain.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Always the same 'ol same 'ol. y(:|
yup, when its not "amen", its "yes verily yes". :D
I was talk about the science refrain.
Ya was talk was ya. See how THAT turned out.
Morny
Valued Member

Post by Morny »

PaulSacramento wrote: Are you suggesting that these scientists are saying that the brain of worms have non-physical properties ?
No. Not sure where that notion comes from. Probably my bad writing skills.

The idea is that no animal brain function shows behavior requiring a non-physical component.
PaulSacramento wrote: The question of non-physical properties of any brain can't be answered by science because science only works the observable and quantifiable.
False. A demonstrated out-of-body experience would be so anomalous as to rule out any chance of an existing scientific explanation. Scientists would be left with only 2 choices:
1. Desperately try to start a completely unknown branch of science of unknown effects and unknown mechanisms.
2. Start going to church.

Carl Sagan's book "Contact" (not the movie) also showcases a discovery so bizarre that only a non-physical explanation (God) suffices.
PaulSacramento wrote: Primates are amazing similar in terms of instinct and instinctive reasoning and even learned reasoning BUT, that I am aware of, they have not shown the capacity or ability to go beyond that.
In short, you don't get primate philosophers or physicists.
Uhm, we're all primates. We also see a historical brain progression in volume, and in sophistication via tools, artifacts, and culture from groups like homo habilis, homo erectus, Neanderthals, French people, etc..

Yes, humans are special, but not as much as our ego might lead us to believe.

Emo Phillips: I used to think that the brain was the greatest organ in the human body, then I realized, "Hey! Look what's telling me that!"
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Morny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote: Are you suggesting that these scientists are saying that the brain of worms have non-physical properties ?

The idea is that no animal brain function shows behavior requiring a non-physical component.
PaulSacramento wrote: The question of non-physical properties of any brain can't be answered by science because science only works the observable and quantifiable.
False. A demonstrated out-of-body experience would be so anomalous as to rule out any chance of an existing scientific explanation. Scientists would be left with only 2 choices:
1. Desperately try to start a completely unknown branch of science of unknown effects and unknown mechanisms.

Carl Sagan's book "Contact" (not the movie) also showcases a discovery so bizarre that only a non-physical explanation (God) suffices.
PaulSacramento wrote: Primates are amazing similar in terms of instinct and instinctive reasoning and even learned reasoning BUT, that I am aware of, they have not shown the capacity or ability to go beyond that.
Uhm, we're all primates. We also see a historical brain progression in volume, and in sophistication via tools, artifacts, and culture from groups like homo habilis, homo erectus, Neanderthals, French people, etc..

Emo Phillips: I used to think that the brain was the greatest organ in the human body, then I realized, "Hey! Look what's telling me that!"

Did you truly not understand what I wrote or are you just being argumentative?

It is clear that the human brain shows properties that go beyond it's physical capacities ( which are basically the same as all other animals).
I mean, you do SEE that right?
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Morny wrote:

It is clear that the human brain shows properties that go beyond it's physical capacities ( which are basically the same as all other animals).
It isnt clear to me. What do you mean "go beyond physical capacity"? What are "properties"?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Audie wrote:It isnt clear to me. What do you mean "go beyond physical capacity"? What are "properties"?
Information.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Byblos wrote:
Audie wrote:It isnt clear to me. What do you mean "go beyond physical capacity"? What are "properties"?
Information.
Ok... not much info in that.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Morny wrote:

It isnt clear to me. What do you mean "go beyond physical capacity"? What are "properties"?
What are you doing RIGHT now Audie?
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

What am I doing right? Most everything, why do you ask?
Morny
Valued Member

Post by Morny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Morny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:It is clear that the human brain shows properties that go beyond it's physical capacities ( which are basically the same as all other animals).
No. If worm brains have the same "properties", what goes beyond "it's physical capacities"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:What am I doing right? Most everything, why do you ask?
Audie, you are engaging in an intellectual debate about abstract views that have NOTHING to do with your natural instincts and rational.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Morny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Morny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:It is clear that the human brain shows properties that go beyond it's physical capacities ( which are basically the same as all other animals).
No. If worm brains have the same "properties", what goes beyond "it's physical capacities"?

When was the last time a worm asked that very question?
Morny
Valued Member

Post by Morny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Morny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Morny wrote:

When was the last time a worm asked that very question?
You seem to say all animal brains show the same properties that go beyond it's physical capacities.

For discussion simplicity, asking what worm brains do to go "beyond it's physical capacities" seems like a reasonable and simple question.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Audie wrote:What am I doing right? Most everything, why do you ask?
Audie, you are engaging in an intellectual debate about abstract views that have NOTHING to do with your natural instincts and rational.

i asked you this..It isnt clear to me. What do you mean "go beyond physical capacity"? What are "properties"?

And that is your answer?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

You two are pulling my leg, right?