Boltzmann brain

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Boltzmann brain

Post by Silvertusk »

I have two questions here -

1) I don't get it - what is a Boltzmann brain (in idiot guide phrases please - diagrams may help here ;-))

and..

2) What on earth is WLC on about here:

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/further- ... oll-debate

Any help here would be much appreciated.
SeekingSanctuary
Established Member
Sex: Male

Re: Boltzmann brain

Post by SeekingSanctuary »

Okay, I'll try to explain it but I maybe wrong on half of this. Hana is way more qualified here, but:

The Boltzmann Brain is basically some "thing" that arises out of chaos, thanks to random chance. Depending on who is describing it, it either a self-aware thing or literally just a human brain floating there.

The idea behind it goes like this. "If it is possible, no matter how inevitable, then under infinite opportunities it becomes inevitable".

So, let's say you are shooting a gun and trying to hit a target, but you a drunk, blindfolded, and have literally no idea where the target is. What you do have is infinite ammo and infinite patience. Eventually you'll hit it.

Quantum Physics allows for some weird stuff. Things can just 'happen', I mean I think there are rules, but I don't know what they are or if physicists have them figured out yet, but there are a lot of stuff that can happen. There is a chance, an incredibly small chance, your computer could just teleport from where you're at to Antarctica for example.

Supposedly, building this brain counts as possible. If the universe has an infinite lifespan then one will appear eventually, most likely after heat death.

Probably a crap explanation, but basically "Eventually random chance will make a brain/something self-aware". Does this help at all? I haven't looked into the debate at all, so I don't know.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Re: Boltzmann brain

Post by 1over137 »

I have found a good explanation here: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmi ... 3NfcYGSyE4
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart