Creation debate

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
theophilus
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Creation debate

Post by theophilus »

There will be a debate between Ken Ham, the founder of Answers in Genesis, and Bill Nye, known as "the Science Guy", on February 4 at 7 pm Eastern Standard Time. The subject will be: "Is creation a viable model of origins in today's modern scientific era?" The debate will be live streamed free at this site:

http://debatelive.org/
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Creation debate

Post by Silvertusk »

I am washing my hair that night.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

theophilus wrote:There will be a debate between Ken Ham, the founder of Answers in Genesis, and Bill Nye, known as "the Science Guy", on February 4 at 7 pm Eastern Standard Time. The subject will be: "Is creation a viable model of origins in today's modern scientific era?" The debate will be live streamed free at this site:

http://debatelive.org/
Too bad this is not an old earth creation vs evolution debate. In my view this debate will be damaging to the Bible's credibility.. :(
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Why debate Y.E.C, boring....

A talk on all the creation perspectives would be much nicer and probably more productive.

Also to hear a Rabbi's take on creation would be much more interesting.

I think this debate is going to hurt Christianity, why would you debate issues that are not important to salvation, issues which could drive away people, this is just a stumbling block put in the way of the non-believer.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Haters gonna hate. I'll tune in. Thanks for the link :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Silvertusk wrote:I am washing my hair that night.
I'll be dyeing my hair orange... :roll:

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
cubeus19
Established Member

Post by cubeus19 »

Or just like me, you could die your skin orange and your hair green to look just like a CARROT! :D
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

cubeus19 wrote:Or just like me, you could die your skin orange and your hair green to look just like a CARROT! :D
Oh how the mind wanders..

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Jac3510 wrote:Haters gonna hate. I'll tune in. Thanks for the link :)
I don't think anyone here hates the Y.E.C position, I think everyone is just sick of the stupid accusations they spew at you. If anything, that is what I can't stand and Ken Ham is pretty well know for such lying and deception.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I didn't anything about hater's hating YEC. It's pretty clear that most people hate Ken Ham. But this is an issue we've discussed in great detail before. I'll simply register my normal objection to such anti-Christian hateful vitriol and move on.

So, as I said, haters gonna hate. I'll tune in.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Jac3510 wrote:I didn't anything about hater's hating YEC. It's pretty clear that most people hate Ken Ham. But this is an issue we've discussed in great detail before. I'll simply register my normal objection to such anti-Christian hateful vitriol and move on.

So, as I said, haters gonna hate. I'll tune in.

No one hates Ken Ham either, we hate the lies, the deception and the way he attacks another Christians faith.
I thought we were supposed to hate sin?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

As I've said, I've been through this before.

And let's not pretend that the hatred is just for his perceived sins. When he is called an "idiot," when he is painted with Hovind's mistakes and wrongly said to be in jail--and that with flippant defense of the mix-up when it is pointed out (as if Hamm somehow deserves to be in jail)--when it is regarded as "an added bonus" for an evolutionist to "cheese [him] off," when he is called "willingly ignorant", when he's termed a "nutjob" . . . I could go on, but you should get the point. As I've said before, it's one thing to think the man's arguments are wrong. It's one thing to even think that he is divisive. It's quite another to engage in the mockery and insults as is regularly done on this board, usually by moderators.

Besides, the behavior in this very thread demonstrates that it isn't just about his perceived sins. The vitriol is directed at the man. It's unbecoming, unChristian, and a shame on this board that it is tolerated--in fact that it is celebrated. Shame on all of you who are engaging in such behavior. You don't need to be a theologian or even know the Golden Rule to see the sin in it. Thumper's rule should be quite sufficient on this point.

So I think the objection has been lodged. I'll say no more other than this to beat it into the ground:

Haters gonna hate. I'm tuning in. :)
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Haters hate sin, I am going to tune in too, even though I don't think it will achieve anything.

As to your comments on what people have been saying about Ken ham, while I don't agree with the personal things they say about him, I also don't agree with most of the things that are said to various people on this board this includes yourself and everyone else.

Most posts interacting with atheists, are rude, condescending and arrogant, and do not display the characteristics of Christ.

We are all guilty of being rude and arrogant most of the time, towards each other and towards people not associated with this board, seems to be a case of throwing stones in glass houses to me. I could point out many posts that you have made that fit this bill.

Ken Ham is definitely guilty of causing division within the Church, because of his teachings I have even experienced it within my own Church, I have heard it from his own mouth and as far as I'm concerned he is a liar and divisive person, maybe he has changed but unfortunately he needs to now correct the damage he has done.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:As I've said, I've been through this before.

And let's not pretend that the hatred is just for his perceived sins. When he is called an "idiot," when he is painted with Hovind's mistakes and wrongly said to be in jail--and that with flippant defense of the mix-up when it is pointed out (as if Hamm somehow deserves to be in jail)--when it is regarded as "an added bonus" for an evolutionist to "cheese [him] off," when he is called "willingly ignorant", when he's termed a "nutjob" . . . I could go on, but you should get the point. As I've said before, it's one thing to think the man's arguments are wrong. It's one thing to even think that he is divisive. It's quite another to engage in the mockery and insults as is regularly done on this board, usually by moderators.

Besides, the behavior in this very thread demonstrates that it isn't just about his perceived sins. The vitriol is directed at the man. It's unbecoming, unChristian, and a shame on this board that it is tolerated--in fact that it is celebrated. Shame on all of you who are engaging in such behavior. You don't need to be a theologian or even know the Golden Rule to see the sin in it. Thumper's rule should be quite sufficient on this point.

So I think the objection has been lodged. I'll say no more other than this to beat it into the ground:

Haters gonna hate. I'm tuning in. :)
Ahhh, the memories with some of those older threads/posts. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac,

I'm pretty sure we could dig up some of your old posts and find some stuff that you've said, just as bad or worse than what others have said about Ham.

It's been a long time since any Ham bashing has gone on here.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony