What Year Was Adam Created?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

What Year Was Adam Created?

Post by 7777777 »

According to the Bible what is our best estimate on when Adam was created? How many years ago?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: What Year Was Adam Created?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

The Bible doesn't give a date. In terms of estimate, the YEC position tends to fall close to the estimate of Bishop Ussher, an Irish clergyman in 1650 AD, who used the genealogies within the Bible to suggest a date of about 4004 BC. Today YEC proponents tend to suggest it's about 4000 BC to 10000 BC although there are some who go as far as 100,000 years who still consider themselves to be Young Earth creationists, but most would fall into 10,000 years or less.

OEC has a broader range. in terms of Adam's creation, some OEC agree with the 10,000 BC estimate and some go back as far as what modern evolutionary science suggests today (theistic evolutionists here mostly). OEC tends to see the genealogies as unreliable as used by Ussher because of issues with those genealogies, such as "telescoping." A good article explaining a lot of this would be this one from the main page.

http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth ... ogies.html

Any dates from the Bible at best are by inference or indirectly figured. The Bible itself doesn't directly address the issue. That leads me to believe that that particular issues isn't of primary concern to God in terms of His revelation in Scripture.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: What Year Was Adam Created?

Post by B. W. »

7777777 wrote:According to the Bible what is our best estimate on when Adam was created? How many years ago?

Reminds me of a Jewish rabbi who answered the same question:

Why it was the first month of the first hour at the very first second on the very first day when Adam was created…

Next question please

-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys