Proof of God's sense of humour

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Ngakunui
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Proof of God's sense of humour

Post by Ngakunui »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripod_fish

Not only are they naturally homosexual(per them all being hermaphrodites with both organs functional), but are also apparently based off the war machines from a "devout" Darwinian's book. I guess who we can guess will have a "gay 'ol time" making yet another "Jesus-fish" knock-off, eh?

But I should stop being silly. What do you think about this freak-of-nature species?

Personally, I think the tripod fish are perfectly moral in their natural manner of..."it", but there are definitely going people who think of these fish as abominations due to being different from humans in that manner. What I really mean to ask or find out is how many people think that it's immoral for a species to be designed or be adapted that way naturally, and if Tripod Fish are just God's way of trolling the Gay and Anti-gay crowds. The latter seems likely to me, because He's just that awesome. I also mean to ask what would happen if humans managed to mess up our species enough to not have any male/ female differences anymore, but it's not a main pillar of this discussion.

So what do you make of it?
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Proof of God's sense of humour

Post by zoegirl »

There are plenty of different sexual behaviors in the animals world. Hermaphroditism is not unnatural in the animal world and there are many many species that are hermaphrodites, there are many many species that are polygamous, and there are many many species that are promiscuous (birds show adultery, deer polygamy...)

Animal sexual behavior does not dictate morality to us nor (IMO) should it be considered abominations.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
coldblood
Recognized Member

Post by coldblood »

Occasionally people, too, are born somewhere between male and female. What is God’s plan for them? Should they: a) Date only other hermaphrodites? b) Feel free to date both sexes at will? C) Be obliged to pick one sex and stick to it? d) Avoid intimacy altogether because they are an abomination to everyone?
Swimmy
Established Member

Post by Swimmy »

coldblood wrote:Occasionally people, too, are born somewhere between male and female. What is God’s plan for them? Should they: a) Date only other hermaphrodites? b) Feel free to date both sexes at will? C) Be obliged to pick one sex and stick to it? d) Avoid intimacy altogether because they are an abomination to everyone?

Good question. How could they even accurately assess themselves as God sees them. What happens when they die and Gods says they are going to hell for sexual sin such as homosexuality. If that's the case
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

My understanding is that human hermaphrodites are not true hermaphrodites. They do not posses fully functional female and male parts.. Therefore they could just surgically cut off the male/female appendages (or not). But if someone wanted to prove me wrong, I would like to see a hermaphrodite that one day could become pregnant, then the next day impregnate someone else.. And if they wanted to top it off, impregnate themselves with their own sperm. ;)

But we ALL have male and female hormones.. It's just that we have one dominate over the other..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

Usually intersex conditions do not invovle devlopement of both sexual organs but rather a non-functioning or deformed organs (smaller or enlarged) that are neither one or the other. Surgery does invovle risks (losing sexual function, destroying nerves). Some can be treated with hormone therapy to encourage development of the organs when the child is young.

It would indeed be frustrating to not be able to identify with a specific gender. In terms of God's plans, they are His creations just as every other human, made in His image, loved by Him and capable of being redeemed by Him.

Personally, if treatment can help someone develop a gender identity, I would think it would be beneficial to encourage one or the other. But that has nothing to do with their redemption.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"