Was Jesus black or white?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
User avatar
Gman
Old School
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Northern California

Was Jesus black or white?

Postby Gman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:49 pm

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to the ethnicity of Christ, not that this really has anything to do with how we view Him. For the most part, I believe that most people view him as a white European.

Image

Unfortunately this is false.. We have to remember that the Bible is a middle eastern book. It's not western thought. Europeans, until the time of Christ, basically worshiped gods like the Norse gods, or the Druids, or the Greek or Roman gods such as Apollo or Zeus.

In fact, I would say that Jesus had more of a black influence than he ever did a white influence. Please read the following.

At this point we are now in a position to further appreciate the Black ancestry of Christ. This information is anchored in the genealogical table of Matthew, and, in this particular approach, and to the surprise of some, it concerns no less that three of the four women who are noted as being ancestors of the Lord!

The first woman is mentioned in Matthew 1:3 and is named Tamar. The story of Tamar can be found in Genesis 38. Tamar was known te be a Canaanite woman by virtue of her implied identification as a Canaanites,189 and where she dwelt, in a city called Timnath. Timnath was in the vicinity of Adullam, a known Canaanite town (d. 38:1, 2, 6,11,13). Tamar became an ancestor of Christ Jesus through a child she mothered by her own father-in-law Judah. The child's name was Perez (Matthew 1:3).

The second woman is mentioned in Matthew 1:5 and is named Rahab. The story of Rahab is found in Joshua 2:1-21 and 6:17-25. Rahab was known to be a Canaanite, an inhabitant of the city of Jericho. She was the prostitute who helped the two Israelite spies when they surveyed the land of Canaan. As a result of her actions of faith, the lives of Rahab and her household were spared during the Israelite conquest of Jericho (cf. Hebrews 11:31; James 2:25). It was an ancestor of Christ Jesus named Boaz who was in fact the son of Rahab the Canaanite (Matthew 1:5).

The third woman who was a Black ancestor of Christ Jesus is mentioned in Matthew 1:6 as the "wife of Uriah," Bathsheba by name. The story of Bathsheba is recorded in 2 Samuel 11. Most know the story of "David and Bathsheba." What is often overlooked is the fact that Bathsheba was married to Uriah the Hittite. It is widely known and accepted that the Hittites were a Hamitic people. They descended from Heth, a son of Canaan (Genesis 10:15; 23:10).190 If in fact Bathsheba shared the same ethnic origin as her husband (a not improbable assumption), then the child born to her and David, Solomon by name, did indeed have Black ancestry in his veins. Solomon was an ancestor of Christ Jesus (Matthew 1:6).

Immediately the objection may be raised: But Joseph, whose genealogy is recorded in Matthew's Gospel, had nothing to do with the birth of Jesus, for Jesus was miraculously conceived and born to a woman who was a virgin. Joseph's seed had nothing to do with the humanity of Jesus. Thus, any reference to Black African blood in the genealogical line of Jesus through Joseph is invalid!

Such an objection would be devastating to our argument, save for one bit of enlightening information. It is virtually without disagreement among biblical scholars that Mary as well as Joseph was "of the house of David" (Luke 1:27; cf. Luke 2:4). This blood relation of Mary to her forefather King David is corroborated by other Scripture (see Luke 1:32, 69; Matthew 9:27; 15:22; 20:30, 31; Mark 10:47, 48).

That Mary, as the woman who physically mothered Christ, was of David's line is foreshadowed in the prophecies that the promised Messiah was to be the very offspring of David as well as successor to the Davidian throne (cf. 2 Samuel 7:12ff.; 1 Kings 8:25-26; Isaiah 7:2, 13-14; 9:7; Jeremiah 23:5; 33:15, 17, 22, 25-26; John 7:42; Mark 11:10). The Apostle Paul wrote that "Jesus Christ ... descended from David" (2 Timothy 2:8), and furthermore states that Jesus Christ "was descended from David according to the flesh" (Romans 1:3)."

Indeed, according to His own testimony, Christ Jesus Himself is both "the root and the offspring of David" (Revelation 22:15).

Now inasmuch as the references to women of Hamitic descent impact upon the "house of David," Jesus' lineage is so affected by virtue of Mary His mother. This is true in both the cases of Tamar and Rahab, for they preceded David and his house. Further, it may not be unreasonable to assume that Mary's bloodline may also have been influenced through Solomon, f 'son of Bathsheba and David. The fact that Luke's Gospel carries a heightened emphasis on the very physical descent of Christ gives an added strength to this argument.

So here we have it, Tamar, Rahab, and Bathsheba - each of Hamitic descent, each a lineal ancestor of Christ Jesus according to reliable genealogical information of Matthew's and Luke's Gospels. Ontologically and genealogically speaking, then, Jesus is Black, for "Black" ancestral blood ran in His human veins.

Such truth concerning the racial/ethnic identity of Jesus is liberating to many of us, despite the fact that racial relationship to Christ may serve for Black people only as a cordial invitation to Christ. It continues to stand that each person, of whatever racial-ethnic origin, must personally come to the Lord for salvation, regardless of a kinship relationship to Christ Jesus. Faith in the atoning death of Christ is the way to redemption from sin and to wholistic liberation; not a claim on physical/kindred relationship to Christ. - The Black Presence in the Bible by Rev. Walter McCray.


Not that this really matters... I believe he looked more like this..

Image

Brown eyes, brown skin, black hair... A real middle eastern kind of guy. And when you really think about it, if we were to mix all the nations into one color, we would probably come up with something like this!! :P
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8

User avatar
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 807
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:48 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby Gabrielman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:00 am

You know I saw a documentry about Jesus and they represented Him almost like that, but a bit lighter. I never really thought that He was white, lol but it's odd how others did that! Good point to bring up though! Most people don't realize this about Him!!!
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.

User avatar
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 807
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:48 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby Gabrielman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:03 am

Actually he was yellow! :jesus: :lol:
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.

User avatar
Gman
Old School
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Northern California

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby Gman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:11 am

Gabrielman wrote:Actually he was yellow! :jesus: :lol:


Now we are really pushing the limits here.. :roll:

Well we can't deny that the Jews worked with the Egyptians, and Egypt is certainly on the continent of Africa. Can't get more African than that..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8

User avatar
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:09 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby cslewislover » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:17 am

Gabrielman wrote:Actually he was yellow! :jesus: :lol:


Yeah, that's what I think too! :lol: :jesus:
Image

"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 807
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:48 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby Gabrielman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:53 am

Gman wrote:
Gabrielman wrote:Actually he was yellow! :jesus: :lol:


Now we are really pushing the limits here.. :roll:

Well we can't deny that the Jews worked with the Egyptians, and Egypt is certainly on the continent of Africa. Can't get more African than that..

I know, lol I was just being funny. I know He wasn't white. He was a middle eastrener, but it isn't like it matters, what matters is what He did for us.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.

User avatar
jlay
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3616
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:47 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby jlay » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:37 am

Jesus could have sang for the BeeGees.

I like the blow dried, styled and feathered hair.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious

Swimmy
Established Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:42 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby Swimmy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:22 am

Jesus was probably a olive skin color with Jewish features.

User avatar
jlay
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3616
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:47 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby jlay » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:08 pm

A Jew with Jewish features? Surely not.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious

User avatar
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:08 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Southern California

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby ageofknowledge » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:48 pm

Neither.

User avatar
Gman
Old School
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Northern California

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby Gman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:40 pm

Swimmy wrote:Jesus was probably a olive skin color with Jewish features.


I would seriously doubt this... Given Christ's genealogy, I would say he was probably more black than olive skinned.

Byblos, would probably know best here. Byblos, given the fact that you lived in the middle east, would you say that the native inhabitants there looked like Bedouin sheep headers or European industrialists?
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8

User avatar
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:08 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Southern California

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby ageofknowledge » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:35 am

He was Jewish. It's not important the actual number of pigments in his melatonin. Why even start a thread like this? :shakehead:

User avatar
Gman
Old School
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Northern California

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby Gman » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:58 am

ageofknowledge wrote:He was Jewish. It's not important the actual number of pigments in his melatonin. Why even start a thread like this? :shakehead:


True, it really doesn't matter. It's just interesting to see how many try to paint Christianity as a European religion or western thought.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 5646
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby Byblos » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:08 am

Gman wrote:
Swimmy wrote:Jesus was probably a olive skin color with Jewish features.


I would seriously doubt this... Given Christ's genealogy, I would say he was probably more black than olive skinned.

Byblos, would probably know best here. Byblos, given the fact that you lived in the middle east, would you say that the native inhabitants there looked like Bedouin sheep headers or European industrialists?


There isn't really one set of characteristics, it's more like a broad spectrum, perhaps to the exclusion of blond/blue eyes. The closer to the African continent, however, (such as Egypt or Sudan)the darker the skin. And the closer to the Mediterranean (Israel, Lebanon, Syria) the lighter the skin. But that's by today's standards. I have a light olive skin (more like Greek or Italian) and so do most Lebanese (Muslims tend to be a little darker than Christians but that's not a general rule either). Jesus was probably a darker olive skin but no one knows for sure. He was never physically described anywhere that I know of.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 7863
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Was Jesus black or white?

Postby B. W. » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:21 pm

+

Maybe all we need is a mirror — do we see Christ or just more of ourselves in the reflection?






2 Co 3:18, "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." NKJV

Gal 4:19. "… my little children, for whom I am again in the anguish of childbirth until Christ is formed in you!" NKJV
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)


Return to “God and Science”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests