Irreducible Complexity

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Irreducible Complexity

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Lets start off with a definition.
Once we have agreed to one we can begin to discuss the merits of this theory. In this post we shall not go into too many specifics because of the lack of expertise on this site.

"Irreducible complexity means single system composed of several well-matched, interacting parts that contribute to the basic function, wherein the removal of any one of the parts causes the system to effectively cease functioning."

Does anyone have any objections to this definition?
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Irreducible Complexity

Post by Believer »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:In this post we shall not go into too many specifics because of the lack of expertise on this site.
So, from the bolded text of your own, do you claim you know more than anyone else on this entire website? What makes you claim such a thing when you probably have not gone through every post in every thread in every topic, both old and new forum? I'm sorry, but when I see claims as this from skeptics such as yourself, it seems as though the thread starter knows more than anyone else especially since you haven't really seen ALL of the expertise to be seen. I would rather have the skeptic remove his/her sheeps clothing to reveal the goat that he/she really is, meaning be who you really are and don't act all nice for a show, or to prevent from being banned. If people on this website lack of expertise, perhaps the skeptic should go to a forum where there are far more complex debates.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Re: Irreducible Complexity

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Thinker wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:In this post we shall not go into too many specifics because of the lack of expertise on this site.
So, from the bolded text of your own, do you claim you know more than anyone else on this entire website? What makes you claim such a thing when you probably have not gone through every post in every thread in every topic, both old and new forum? I'm sorry, but when I see claims as this from skeptics such as yourself, it seems as though the thread starter knows more than anyone else especially since you haven't really seen ALL of the expertise to be seen. I would rather have the skeptic remove his/her sheeps clothing to reveal the goat that he/she really is, meaning be who you really are and don't act all nice for a show, or to prevent from being banned. If people on this website lack of expertise, perhaps the skeptic should go to a forum where there are far more complex debates.
I am sorry I did not mean to offend, I only wish to help people understand what science really is. If there are people who have the understanding to discuss the topic I will gladly have a discussion. I just wished to continue the discussion in a manor which is suitable to those I had been in discussions with.

Of course I am not the ultimate authority, I am willing to argue the points as you can see from previous posts. People are free to post references from experts as well. My main concern is that if I write a rebuttal to a quote that the one who quoted it may very well not be in the position to respond.
Last edited by BGoodForGoodSake on Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

Out of interest are there any professional practising or retired biological scientists posting here?
thinker wrote:I would rather have the skeptic remove his/her sheeps clothing to reveal the goat that he/she really is, meaning be who you really are and don't act all nice for a show, or to prevent from being banned.
You have a problem with people being polite and pleasant?

Yes, I admit I have made an effort to be on best behaviour since joining.

My name is Blob. And I am trying to be nice. There, I confessed it.

I have deliberatley avoided misrepresenting others' views and I have made an effort to agree with points people make wherever I can. Personally I think it is a constructive attitude to attempt to build bridges of rapport and commonality with those I broadly disagree with.

Oh yes - and I personally am happy to accept your IC definition, BGood.
While in external speech thought is embodied in words, in inner speech words die as they bring forth thought.
- Vygotsky
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Blob wrote:Out of interest are there any professional practising or retired biological scientists posting here?
If there isn't, perhaps you should move to a more heated debate forum suited to your liking?
Blob wrote:
thinker wrote:I would rather have the skeptic remove his/her sheeps clothing to reveal the goat that he/she really is, meaning be who you really are and don't act all nice for a show, or to prevent from being banned.
You have a problem with people being polite and pleasant?
No, I don't. Only with people who PRETEND to be polite and/or pleasant for the sake of not being banned and are just doing it for an act. Reveal the TRUE person you are on here.
Blob wrote:Yes, I admit I have made an effort to be on best behaviour since joining.

My name is Blob. And I am trying to be nice. There, I confessed it.
You are "trying to be nice" and "have made an effort to be on best behaviour", you are holding back your TRUE self, be YOURSELF, don't TRY to put on an act, as it has happened before and the person(s) lost it and got banned, as I have witnessed this. If you can't, maybe a different forum would be better?
Last edited by Believer on Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

Oh dear. You seem to be telling me to go away.

Fine, though that isn't a very good impression of christians that you have left me with.

Goodbye everyone.
While in external speech thought is embodied in words, in inner speech words die as they bring forth thought.
- Vygotsky
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Blob wrote:Oh dear. You seem to be telling me to go away.

Fine, though that isn't a very good impression of christians that you have left me with.

Goodbye everyone.
You don't have to leave, I'm not the authority to say who stays and who doesn't, I'm just saying universally for everyone to be themselves and don't be pretend.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Does anyone have any objections to this definition?
No objections, but I would like to add one clarification. The parts making up the system can have other functions outside of the system.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Brain your always on the defensive.
and what I have seen from many of your comments, is they can easily be taken as rude or intolerant. Many of us seem to have the same problem, it doesn't mean that we should shug our sholders and think oh well, and continue on without an attempt to change.
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

Thinker wrote:You don't have to leave
Okay, thinker, I forgive you and I'll give the forum another shot. :)

But I would like to say a couple of things.

Firstly, yes, I am making an effort to pleasant. But that does not mean underneath there is a nasty, snarling Mr Hyde waiting to burst out. I am just making an effort in the sense we all do when, say, meeting new friends, colleagues, one's partner's family and so on.

Secondly, I am not going to "lose it" and suddenly become nasty and earn myself a banning. I swear on my life, that is not my personality. Is that clear? Look how readily and politely I was prepared to leave the forum just because you asked me to.

Please don't assume unpleasant personality traits just because I have different opinions about the fascinating questions of how we came to be here on planet earth. Would you be able to make an effort to do that :?:
- Vygotsky
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Blob wrote:
Thinker wrote:You don't have to leave
Okay, thinker, I forgive you and I'll give the forum another shot. :)

But I would like to say a couple of things.

Firstly, yes, I am making an effort to pleasant. But that does not mean underneath there is a nasty, snarling Mr Hyde waiting to burst out. I am just making an effort in the sense we all do when, say, meeting new friends, colleagues, one's partner's family and so on.

Secondly, I am not going to "lose it" and suddenly become nasty and earn myself a banning. I swear on my life, that is not my personality. Is that clear? Look how readily and politely I was prepared to leave the forum just because you asked me to.

Please don't assume unpleasant personality traits just because I have different opinions about the fascinating questions of how we came to be here on planet earth. Would you be able to make an effort to do that :?:
The bolded underlined text shows me you think I ASKED you to leave, I didn't do such a thing, read my back posts. I also don't have a problem with your questions, and it was my problem to pounce on you or any other person for that matter, so I am sorry. I just find it ignorant that people will automatically say that life came from nothing, 100% nothing. At this point, I really don't care to know what processes it took for us to get here, all I know is that a divine God exists, Jesus exists, and the Holy Spirit exists, not the godless nature god, and that does it for me.
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

That's okay Thinker. And nice to meet you. :)
- Vygotsky
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Blob wrote:That's okay Thinker. And nice to meet you. :)
You too, you mentioned you had a story that you are increasingly being surrounded by religious people and also your moms conversion, please PM (Private Message) me that or post it here. It could be of great interest and see where you are heading in life as well.
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

Well I'm going to hang on to it for a while yet.

Sorry thinker, but some of the treatment I have received here so far (not just you), combined with a shortage of warm welcomes from regular posters means I don't feel ready to open up here yet. At the moment I'm feeling slightly like an irritation people are reluctantly tolerating.

There are forums and chat rooms out there where I do share a mutual affection with religious people and tell them my story. Perhaps this is such a place but I have yet to find out.

Sorry, but I have to ask for you to be patient on this.
- Vygotsky
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Blob wrote:Well I'm going to hang on to it for a while yet.

Sorry thinker, but some of the treatment I have received here so far (not just you), combined with a shortage of warm welcomes from regular posters means I don't feel ready to open up here yet. At the moment I'm feeling slightly like an irritation people are reluctantly tolerating.

There are forums and chat rooms out there where I do share a mutual affection with religious people and tell them my story. Perhaps this is such a place but I have yet to find out.

Sorry, but I have to ask for you to be patient on this.
Well, I would say you should at least open up a little bit so we know what you are like, otherwise we don't know anything about you, we don't know your motivation, your desires, nothing really. But if you don't want to, so be it :wink:.