Dr. Heiser: Does Satan think he can defeat God?

Bible Studies
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Dr. Heiser: Does Satan think he can defeat God?

Post by Philip »

It's a good question: Is the devil so deluded with pride, arrogance and blind rage that he actually has convinced himself and his followers (demons) that he can eventually defeat God? Or is his strategy born more of a pragmatic, if temporary, strategy?

Michael Heiser responds, as he also references "The Day of the Lord." Fascinating!

https://youtu.be/2jPzzxGZaX8

claysmithr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Dr. Heiser: Does Satan think he can defeat God?

Post by claysmithr »

I feel like, due to his arrogance, Satan thought he could win.
Armyman
Recognized Member

Post by Armyman »

Philip wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:56 am It's a good question: Is the devil so deluded with pride, arrogance and blind rage that he actually has convinced himself and his followers (demons) that he can eventually defeat God? Or is his strategy born more of a pragmatic, if temporary, strategy?

Michael Heiser responds, as he also references "The Day of the Lord." Fascinating!

https://youtu.be/2jPzzxGZaX8

I've thought about this. I think at first the devil did, but then figured otherwise. Seeing how the devil is bent on evil for evils sake I doubt he cares, as long as the devil can do bad things.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Satan and his demonic cohorts undoubtedly knew of their fate and key things about Jesus, well before his death and Resurrection. Satan and at least some of the other demons were once with the Lord, before the earth was inhabited and before their rebellion. In Job 38, God rhetorically asks Job whether he was around when "I laid the foundation of the earth?" As well referenced that angels witnessed the beginnings of the earth: "... who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars (angels!) sang together."

So, they know of God's great power - that He created them and is more powerful than they can imagine.

Demons later also appeared to know of their fate and doom:

In Matthew 8, when Jesus confronts the "Legion" of demons who had possessed the man living amongst the tombs at Capernaum, their response was, "What have you to do with us, O Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?”

So, the demons appear to realize both Who and what Jesus is (God in the flesh) and their eternal fate.