Verse of the Day: Proverbs 15:1....How true!

Bible Studies
JButler
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Verse of the Day: Proverbs 15:1....How true!

Post by JButler »

Verse of the Day in my mail box.

Proverbs 15:1--A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Maybe it should say a word spoken harshly stirs up anger??

Anyway upon seeing it the message smacked me with...How true this is!! Immediately I had "flashbacks" to examples from my life experience of people fit this verse perfectly, positive and negative.

I really believe that many people have been shut down from pursuing understanding/faith by harsh, snarky, berating, belittling words directed at them in an equally negative verbal tone. It happened to me and I'm pretty thick skinned. :(

Words do matter but voice inflection is just as important. Inflection is controlled by inner emotions, for example anger, hatred, love, compassion. The inflection will last far longer in someone's memory than the words. Not only can it drive someone away but you'll also leave an impression of yourself with them and they'll remember that for a very long time also.

Think and take some deep breaths, count to 10, you know the usual stuff. Old advice but still applies.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Verse of the Day: Proverbs 15:1....How true!

Post by B. W. »

JButler wrote:Verse of the Day in my mail box.

Proverbs 15:1--A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Maybe it should say a word spoken harshly stirs up anger??

Anyway upon seeing it the message smacked me with...How true this is!! Immediately I had "flashbacks" to examples from my life experience of people fit this verse perfectly, positive and negative.

I really believe that many people have been shut down from pursuing understanding/faith by harsh, snarky, berating, belittling words directed at them in an equally negative verbal tone. It happened to me and I'm pretty thick skinned. :(

Words do matter but voice inflection is just as important. Inflection is controlled by inner emotions, for example anger, hatred, love, compassion. The inflection will last far longer in someone's memory than the words. Not only can it drive someone away but you'll also leave an impression of yourself with them and they'll remember that for a very long time also.

Think and take some deep breaths, count to 10, you know the usual stuff. Old advice but still applies.
True statement indeed !
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys