Forsaking All

Bible Studies
User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 17469
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Living in Parricide just north of Jacob's bosom

Re: Forsaking All

Postby RickD » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:46 am

melanie wrote:Windy as far as I see it, your sitting in your comfy chair, enjoying the luxury of a computer with first world access to the Internet preaching to others about sacrifice. I think it's a pretty big error to think that because you threw it all in a bucket and divvied it out amongst yourselves that you have forsaken all attachment to material things.
The heart as you said can be very deceitful

Great point Mel. Just because someone sells his computer, and only uses a shared computer, that doesn't mean he can't be attached to it. In the same way that if someone owns a computer, or any other possession, that doesn't mean he is attached to the possessions.

The whole stance seems very legalistic. It seems to rely on our abilities, or lack of ability to not love our possessions, instead of relying on the Holy Spirit, to guide us and transform us in the place that God has placed us to do His will.

It seems very similar to what the pharisees used to do.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 17469
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Living in Parricide just north of Jacob's bosom

Re: Forsaking All

Postby RickD » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:07 am

rain wrote:

This is the closest you have come to answering the above question, yet you still side step it. The issue is not whether Jesus told his disciples to do as he commanded them to do, but whether Jesus told his disciples to teach OTHERS to do as he commanded THEM to do. Can you see the difference? It would be good to hear your thoughts on that



Rick wrote:

Ok. I see what you're saying, and why you think I'm avoiding your question. I apologize. I wasn't avoiding. Yes, Jesus told his disciples to teach others to do as he commanded. I have no problem with that. I have a problem with what you choose to believe Jesus commanded his disciples to teach others. Specifically, the idea that we are commanded to abandon all money and possessions, and go live in a commune somewhere.



Hi Rick,

Okay, so we're in agreement that Jesus commanded his disciples to teach others to do as he commanded them. So, what's your struggle with applying that to Luke 14:33? Jesus clearly taught his disciples to do this. We see them doing it in Acts, so where's the problem?

Hi rain,

I see that the thread is starting to get overcrowded, and we are all posting over each other, so you may have missed what I wrote. I have no issue applying it to Luke 14:33. As I have been saying, I don't interpret the verse literally as you do. As Luke 14:26-27 aren't to be taken literally(windy agreed. We still disagree about meaning, but neither take those verses literally), I don't apply it as you do.

Rain wrote:
You say your problem is with me choosing what to believe Jesus commanded his disciples to teach others, but I'm just choosing to believe what Jesus said in Matthew 28:20, i.e. choosing to DO what he commanded his disciples to do. My argument is; Jesus taught his disciples to do this, he told them to teach others to do what he taught then to do, I choose to believe that he meant this. You however, read Jesus saying ''teach others to obey all things that I have commanded you'', and choose to believe that Jesus did not mean all things. Please provide some teachings from Jesus that suggest that we can pick and choose what to do from the things he taught/commanded? Thanks.

That's just not what I'm saying. I believe disciples should teach what Jesus commanded them to teach. I disagree with what you think Jesus was saying. It's not hard to understand that. I'm not disagreeing with Jesus. I'm disagreeing with what you think Jesus said. Disagreeing with your literal interpretation, is not the same as disagreeing with Christ himself. Understand?

RickD wrote:
So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that I and others here, are choosing which commands to follow. And you ARE NOT choosing which commands to follow, because you follow all the commands that Jesus gave his disciples? Is that accurate?


rain wrote:
Aren't you (and others) choosing which commands he gave to follow?


Yes, at least as far as I'm concerned, if it's found within the command to love God, and neighbor, I try to follow it. If it's not, it's really secondary, and between the person and God, if he wants to follow it.

rain wrote:
In response to your question, based on what I have shared in my posts, what commands that Jesus gave his disciples do you think I chose to not try to follow?

I have no idea. Nor does it matter to me. If you trust Christ for salvation, that's most important. Then, the law is summed up in the command to Love God and your neighbor.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 7286
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Forsaking All

Postby PaulSacramento » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:23 am

I guess the simple fact that Christ's first generation and direct followers did NOT forsake all means nothing.
Oivay !
y#-o

I do enjoy how people that choose which scriptures to follow and how to interpret them LOVE to criticize those that do the very same thing they do BUT reach a different conclusion.

I can only bang my head against the door so much and after all, my namesake said it best:
Romans 14New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Principles of Conscience
14 Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions. 2 One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only. 3 The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him. 4 Who are you to judge the [a]servant of another? To his own [b]master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

5 One person [c]regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, [d]does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. 7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; 8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

10 But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. 11 For it is written,

“As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to Me,
And every tongue shall [e]give praise to God.”
12 So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.

13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this—not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother’s way. 14 I know and am convinced [f]in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love. Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be [g]spoken of as evil; 17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. 19 So then [h]we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another. 20 Do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are clean, but they are evil for the man who eats [i]and gives offense. 21 It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles. 22 The faith which you have, have [j]as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 17469
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Living in Parricide just north of Jacob's bosom

Re: Forsaking All

Postby RickD » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:26 am

I think the whole discussion boils down to a disagreement on who Jesus was making specific commands to, and what it means to forsake.

Here's the blue letter bible meaning of apotassō, in the context of Luke 14;33, which has been translated as "forsake":
https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G657&t=KJV



to set apart, separate

to separate one's self, withdraw one's self from anyone

to take leave of, bid farewell to

to renounce, forsake


If you think forsake means "get rid of", then you may take the path that rain and windy have taken.

If you think Jesus command to forsake applies to all believers, and think forsake means to separate one's self from, then you may take the stance others take.

I can separate myself from the love of my possessions, while still owning them. I can render unto God, that which is His. While still being able to render unto Caesar.

Windy and rain's interpretation just seems too much like what Colossians 2:21-23 tell us:
21“Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”? 22These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings. 23Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

Those who give away all their possessions, have an appearance(at least to them) of wisdom, and false humility. But they take away the freedom we have in Christ, and subject us to a law that was never ours to follow.

Love God. Love your neighbor. From wherever you are. If God has blessed you financially or otherwise, it's good to help others. Not as an obligation, but out of Love.

Self imposed piety is not love.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 17469
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Living in Parricide just north of Jacob's bosom

Re: Forsaking All

Postby RickD » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:36 am

Windy and rain,

Would you mind sharing a website of the group you belong to? Or if not your specific group, maybe the larger group? I'm interested in seeing who you left everything to be with. Surely you are not ashamed to show us?

And, I'm not demanding this as a mod. I'm asking. I'd like to read more to understand your beliefs better.

But I can understand that in certain areas of the world, being known as a Christian, can be a safety issue.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 7741
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Forsaking All

Postby B. W. » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:46 am

"Utleys, You Can Understand the Bible: Study Guide Commentary Series states this concerning Acts 2:44-47:

Utleys, You Can Understand the Bible: Study Guide Commentary Series wrote:
"and had all things in common" This early experiment in "community" was not successful (cf. Acts 4:32 to Acts 5:11). It was not meant to be a universal principle, but an attempt at a loving, mutually supportive community or faith. This is a good example that not everything recorded in the Bible is meant to be universally implemented! These early believers had a great love for one another. Oh, that we could regain this love and sense of the presence and power of God among us (cf. John 17:11; John 17:21-23)!!

Acts 2:46 "with one mind" The early church was characterized by this unity of purpose (cf. Acts 1:14; Acts 2:46; Acts 4:24; Acts 5:12). This is not to say that they agreed on everything, but that their hearts and minds were knit together in kingdom priorities instead of personal preferences or agendas.

▣ "in the temple" They probably met in "Solomon's portico" (cf Acts 3:11; Acts 5:12). Jesus taught there (cf. John 10:23). Solomon's Portico or porch was a covered colonnade along the east side of the outer court of the Gentiles in Herod's Temple (cf. Josephus' Antiq. 15.11.3). Rabbis taught there. People regularly gathered there to hear teaching.

Notice the early church attended the temple and probably the local synagogues until the rabbis instituted a curse formula (about A.D. 70), which forced synagogue members to curse Jesus. This caused the break between the church and Judaism. The early believers maintained their weekly worship, but also met on Sunday to commemorate Jesus' resurrection. Remember, Jesus Himself met with the disciples, three Sunday nights in a row.

▣ "breaking bread from house to house" If "breaking bread" was a technical designation for the Lord's Supper (cf. Luke 22:19 and esp. in contexts of agape meals [1Co 11:17-22; 2Pe 2:13-14; Jude 1:12] in the early church, ex. Acts20:7), then this refers to daily communion in local homes (but it must be admitted that it is also used of a regular meal in Luke 24:30; Luke 24:35). Be careful of your dogmatic denominational traditions about the when, where, frequency, and form of the Lord's Supper. The heart is the key!


As Utley pointed out: This early experiment in "community" was not successful...

Next, Biblical Illustrator Commentary expresses this on this subject:

Biblical Illustrator Commentary wrote:Communism

What about this so-called communism in the early Church? What was it in nature and extent? The passage describing the community of goods is critical. Social reformers, not always Christian, point to this as the ideal state from which the Church has wandered

1. The arrangement was purely voluntary. What any man put in was still his. The sin of Ananias was not that he had kept back a portion of his estate by fraud, but that he lied about it. It was still in his power after the sale as before. The community of property flowed out of the new spiritual life. (See Acts 4:32-37.) “In point of fact, their experiment was simply the assertion of the right of every man to do as he chooses with his own; and they chose to live together and help each other. It was a fraternal stock company for mutual aid and protection. No man was bound to come into it unless he wished; but if he did come in, he was bound to act honestly.”

2. It was a spiritual result, and not a social experiment. It cannot be explained except on the spiritual basis. It must be studied in its true setting. The Brook Farm, “Utopia,” and all kindred institutions, have been social experiments. Bellamy’s “Looking Backward” Society is allied with them. They have arisen for lack of the Holy Spirit. This sprung up spontaneously because of Pentecost.

3. The community of goods seems to have been a community of use, not ownership. Nobody said that aught that he possessed was his own. They were of one heart. The circumstances were peculiar. Many of the people were away from home. All had to be cared for. No one should suffer.

4. The plan was local. Jerusalem was the only city where it was tried. No trace of it is to be found in any ether Church. It evidently did not commend itself to other churches as a wise plan. The other churches took up collections just as now when a case of need was presented. (See 1Co 16:2; 2Co 9:6-7.)

5. It was temporary. It lasted while the circumstances in which it arose continued.

6. It did not relieve poverty. It was not devised for that purpose. Many writers insist upon seeing a close connection between this incident and the subsequent poverty in Jerusalem. Thus Meyer: “And this community of goods at Jerusalem helps to explain the great and general poverty of that Church. It is probable that the apostles were prevented by the very experience acquired in Jerusalem from advising or introducing it elsewhere.” Thus Gulliver: “Under such sublime inspirations it is easy to see that a communism, impossible to ordinary human nature, might temporarily flourish. But it is as easy to see that it would gradually settle to the level of ordinary motive, and would be subjected to the disturbances of inevitable inequalities in capacity and industry, as well as in piety.

The Plymouth Pilgrims were, perhaps, the most single-minded men of modern times. Yet it was not till the community of lands and goods which obtained in the early years of their settlement gave place to farms in severalty, and to private property protected by law, that the annually recurring danger of absolute starvation in their colony disappeared. The lesson of such a history is, therefore, not solely the lesson of Christian consecration. It includes the utility and the sacredness of the personal control of property. It places before us the problem of combining the largest Christian benevolence with the strict maintenance of proprietary rights.”

7. It was not modern communism. Says Gerok: “That holy community of goods proceeded from love to the poor; but that which is now proclaimed is the result of a hatred to the rich.” And Van [lesbian]: “Of late years the communistic doctrine has begun to present itself in another shape. It has laid aside the red cap and put on the white cravat. It invites serious and polite inquiry. It quotes Scripture and claims to be the friend, the near relative, of Christianity. So altered is its aspect that preachers of religion are discovering that it has good points, and patting it on the back somewhat timidly, as one might pat a converted wolf who had offered his services as watch-dog.” There is a fundamental and absolute difference between the doctrine of the Bible and the doctrine of the communiser.

For the Bible tells me that I must deal my bread to the hungry; while the communiser tells the hungry that he may take it for himself, and if he begins with bread there is no reason why he should draw the line at cake. The Bible teaches that envy is a sin; the communiser declares that it is the new virtue which is to regenerate society.

The communiser maintains that every man who is born has a right to live; but the Bible says that if a man will not work neither shall he eat; and without eating life is difficult.

The communiser holds up equality of condition as the ideal of Christianity; but Christ never mentions it. He tells us that we shall have the poor always with us, and charges us never to forget, despise, or neglect them. Christianity requires two things from every man that believes in it: first, to acquire his property by just and righteous means; and, secondly, to look not only on his own things, but also on the things of others. (W. F. McDowell.)


Let's not forget that John 9:22, and John 12:42 points out that following Jesus indeed would put one out of the synagogue even when Jesus walked in Israel...

Basically what happened in Jerusalem in Acts 2:44-48 was local event, due to the large influx of new converts. Due to persecution of the early Church which is well documented by the religious authorities towards the Jewish believers in Messiah, these Leaders would: First - put believers out of the fellowship of the synagogue as John 9:22, and John 12:42 mentions.

It was a serious thing to be excommunicated from the synagogue with all its perks and privileges. There was no means of support or rights one had after this. Next, secondly - Due to persecution, believers would have their property confiscated, lose employment, lose land right of ownership - Lose the farm) all rights as Jewish citizens were taken away.

These folks had no choice other than do what they did in order to survive and collections elsewhere were gathered for them from the Church. It was not meant to be a welfare state. In fact, Paul mentions this in Rom 15:25,26, "to make a contribution for the poor among the saints in Jerusalem," due to the persecution going on there.

Point is, Rain and Windy, no where else was this practiced as a norm in the spreading early church, unless in cases of extreme persecution. In fact Paul also wrote, 2Th 3:10,12 For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, 12 Now such persons we command and exhort in the Lord Jesus Christ to work in quiet fashion and eat their own bread. NASB

Please review the commentaries quoted above again and I pray it helps you grasp the truth...

Blessings
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

User avatar
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2789
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Forsaking All

Postby Storyteller » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:55 am

I have very few material possessions and I would give them all up tomorrow if needed (apart from my books :mrgreen: )
I work for myself, running a bookshop and I take pride in it. Again, I would walk away from it tomorrow if needed.
I earn enough, with Government help, to live. I have very few luxuries and I donate to my church and charities.
If I can help anybody, in any way, I will, and do.

Have I forsaken all? No. Could I? Not if I want to provide for my daughter.

I am not well versed in Scripture but from what I have read, I just don't think Christ meant what you think He meant.
If you believe what you thinks He means, why do you have internet? For example. You dont need it. (and tgat isnt a dig, its a genuine question)
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 7741
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Forsaking All

Postby B. W. » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:03 am

Rain and Windy...

Next, Luke 14:26-35 is a clarfication from the Law in Deut 13:6,7,8. Again Luke 14:26-35 correlates directly to Matthew 10:32,33,34,35,36,37-40 which points to the Law mentioned in Deut 13:6,7,8.

Therefore, this involves leaving behind persecutors who will do anything to sway a person to come back and live according the wiles of the world' system. The ones that have the most influence come from family members and Jesus is clarifying the reality of Deut 13:6,7,8 in Luke 14:26-35 and Matthew 10:32-40.

Again I hope this helps Rain and Windy understand what Jesus is saying in these verses... and not take them out of context...

Blessings
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 7741
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Forsaking All

Postby B. W. » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:11 am

Storyteller wrote:I have very few material possessions and I would give them all up tomorrow if needed (apart from my books :mrgreen: )
I work for myself, running a bookshop and I take pride in it. Again, I would walk away from it tomorrow if needed.
I earn enough, with Government help, to live. I have very few luxuries and I donate to my church and charities.
If I can help anybody, in any way, I will, and do.

Have I forsaken all? No. Could I? Not if I want to provide for my daughter.

I am not well versed in Scripture but from what I have read, I just don't think Christ meant what you think He meant.
If you believe what you thinks He means, why do you have internet? For example. You dont need it. (and tgat isnt a dig, its a genuine question)


Co 9:5-6 NKJV, Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren to go to you ahead of time, and prepare your generous gift beforehand, which you had previously promised, that it may be ready as a matter of generosity and not as a grudging obligation.6 But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. NKJV

Giving is guided under this injunction: 2Co 8:12 For if the readiness is present, it is acceptable according to what a person has, not according to what he does not have. NASB

The bible desire us to be cheerful givers and to not give out of necessity / compulsion and according to what can. in other words, be wise in your giving. If you have a family and you give all your money to a ministry and your family starves - that is not good or wise.

Be wise in your giving and to whom and when. Be directed by the Holy Spirit not out of guilt...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 17469
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Living in Parricide just north of Jacob's bosom

Re: Forsaking All

Postby RickD » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:15 am

Storyteller wrote:I have very few material possessions and I would give them all up tomorrow if needed (apart from my books :mrgreen: )
I work for myself, running a bookshop and I take pride in it. Again, I would walk away from it tomorrow if needed.
I earn enough, with Government help, to live. I have very few luxuries and I donate to my church and charities.
If I can help anybody, in any way, I will, and do.

Have I forsaken all? No. Could I? Not if I want to provide for my daughter.

I am not well versed in Scripture but from what I have read, I just don't think Christ meant what you think He meant.
If you believe what you thinks He means, why do you have internet? For example. You dont need it. (and tgat isnt a dig, its a genuine question)

Storyteller,

I think it was mentioned when Mel asked, that it was a shared computer. Maybe in the community they live in, or in a coffee shop or something similar. I would guess it's probably a coffee shop or internet place, because if it were a computer in their community, it would go against what they're saying here. It wouldn't be consistent if rain and windy gave up their possessions to live in a community that hasn't "forsaken" its possessions, such as a computer.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 17469
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Living in Parricide just north of Jacob's bosom

Re: Forsaking All

Postby RickD » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:20 am

Rain and/or windy,


Did either of you have a wife and/or children that you had to forsake to join your Community? And if yes, how difficult was it for you?
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2789
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Forsaking All

Postby Storyteller » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:22 am

Thank you :)

My family comes first, charity begins at home.
I donate what I can, when I can and sometimes time and love means more than material things.

I dont think Christ teaches us not to have material things but to not love them.

The billionaires that donate their fortune to others are no more blessed than the pauper giving his time. Its about loving our fellows. Giving what you can, because you want to.

edited to add.. in response to BW
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 7741
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Forsaking All

Postby B. W. » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:29 am

Again here, I am not saying or implying Rain or Windy are involved in a cult because well meaning Christians can fall prey to bad teachings regarding Luke 14:26-35 and Matthew 10:32-40 as well as Acts 2:44-47 and become exploited, which sadly does happen.

We are called to rightly divide the word of truth in the bible and in the case of the examples in Luke 14 and Matthew 10 without realizing Deut 13:6-9 even exists then one can be lead into error.

The same goes along with Acts 2:44-48 teachings that with out the facts from John 9:22, and John 12:42 one may miss the reason the Lord moved these people to do what they did and why collections were taken in the early church located outside of Israel for them in Jerusalem. Without balancing the bible with other verses that also are verified by historical records from the times on matters such as this, people can twist the bible for exploitation purposes.

2 Peter 2:1-3, ...and in their greed they will exploit you with false words; their judgment from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep. NASB

So a word of advise, be wise and pray for the spiritual gift of wisdom, knowledge, and discernment to be granted you...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Mallz
Senior Member
Posts: 696
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Forsaking All

Postby Mallz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:07 pm

Forsaking all, aye? Lets see... I have a house but don't own it as the bank does (mortgage)
Because it is 'mine' but not 'mine' I get to oversee how my house and land functions. I use it to help people gain foundations to thrive on their own, I currently have 3 people living with me.
Every day is an opportunity to work His work, everywhere you go.
I work for Him at my job taking care of His children (pediatric nurse). And because my work brings in decent money, it allows me to do more work for him: In my household, in the world through people who make actual changes to save His people and His children. I don't lose out in opportunities to help others around me, from the occasional homeless people with cash/food, friends, families, strangers. I literally left my home (ran away) breaking my mothers heart when I was 15. I saw the lies and darkness in the world and rejected the world I woke up to (I was lost in darkness for a while). That being said I love my parents and we've had a great relationship throughout all the thick and thin. My mother is the perfect living example of Christs love. But I left them as I didn't see Him. I searched a longtime through many lives to find He truly does exist but is so very hidden in this world because of man and what man makes: government, economy and religion.
That all said I'm no where close to a saint. I doubt many brothers and sisters would agree with how I live. And I need work, and my household too to be thriving more in His will.

I like the idea of community. My dreams have transformed throughout my life and one of them is to buy a lot of land and have a community of friends, brothers and sisters. We could all build cheap but great houses incorporated into the land by adobe buildings (OK its not adobe, I forget what it is but it is straw/plaster walls with some wiring foundation) But a good house could be built for 10-15 K. I'm more of a communal person. Money only registers to me when it needs to be used. Wouldn't it be cool if it could be like the first church? I do aspire to that. But I think too many people get lost in the law and forget the spirit. Reading the word and not why the word is there to begin with.

You don't need to sell everything and give up everything. If you do, you would have nothing to give. Sure it's cool a bunch of people living together in and for the Lord. But who is that community helping except itself? What about the 1000s of women and children being raped 30 times before noon in the middle east? What about the gross homelessness, and orphans running the streets in the US? How about taking care of the widows and elderly in their need? How do you know they exist if a community is focused on itself? I've never seen a community like the first church exist un-spotted becoming defiled. And BW is right, it's because the Spirit Himself was running the show and allowed to.

Honesty, what Jesus is saying is true. We should give up and sell everything and follow Him and you can do that in a much more powerful way than throwing away all He has given you. Know that you have nothing. To know everything has been given to you do to His work and His will is to give up and sell everything. Do you feel like you own something? You shouldn't. Not even your own life. It doesn't belong to you. It belongs to Him.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 17469
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Living in Parricide just north of Jacob's bosom

Re: Forsaking All

Postby RickD » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:22 pm

Mallz wrote:
To know everything has been given to you do to His work and His will is to give up and sell everything. Do you feel like you own something? You shouldn't. Not even your own life. It doesn't belong to you. It belongs to Him.


That's my point. Everything I own, God has given me by his grace. It's mine only as much I can be a good steward with it. I'm managing His possessions. The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it.

Do I fail to live up to God's standards as what it means to be a good steward? Of course.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony


Return to “Bible Studies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest