A special Parable

Bible Studies
DougPeters
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes

A special Parable

Post by DougPeters »

There are only two "extended" parables (i.e., more than a single verse) that appear in all three synoptic gospels.
Do you know which they are? Knowledgeable Christians often can name one (The Sower and the Seed), but not the other.
Any guesses? (sure, anyone can look it up :ewink: )
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Male

Re: A special Parable

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

The one with the two builders, one built on sand the other rock. Or is it the wise and foolish virgins?
DougPeters
Newbie Member

Post by DougPeters »

The wise and foolish virgins is found only in Matthew 25:1-13;
The two builders is found in Matthew 7 and Luke 6.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

DougPeters wrote:There are only two "extended" parables (i.e., more than a single verse) that appear in all three synoptic gospels.
Do you know which they are? Knowledgeable Christians often can name one (The Sower and the Seed), but not the other.
Any guesses? (sure, anyone can look it up :ewink: )
parable of the mustard seed
DougPeters
Newbie Member

Post by DougPeters »

Good! The parable of the mustard seed is in all three synoptic gospels.
So is the parable of the new wine and old wineskins.
But these are not (granted, in my arbitrarily made-up category) "extended" -- they are only a few verses long.

The second "extended" parable in all three synoptic gospels is the parable of the Tenants.
But, strangely, it doesn't seem to get much attention.
For example, it is not even mentioned in John MacArthur's book entitled "Parables".

I've thought about this parable a lot, and wonder how other Christians would find my interpretation of it:
http://ilovetotellthestory.ca/tenants-commentary
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

DougPeters - welcome. Please tell us a bit about yourself here: http://discussions.godandscience.org/viewforum.php?f=2
Davy
Familiar Member

Post by Davy »

DougPeters wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 8:50 am .....
The second "extended" parable in all three synoptic gospels is the parable of the Tenants.
But, strangely, it doesn't seem to get much attention.
For example, it is not even mentioned in John MacArthur's book entitled "Parables".

I've thought about this parable a lot, and wonder how other Christians would find my interpretation of it:
http://ilovetotellthestory.ca/tenants-commentary
I thought your explanation would go into Isaiah 5 more. There's some reasons why that parable isn't popular. It's against the orthodox Jews, directly against them:

Matt 21:43
43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
KJV

By that, Jesus showed how The Gospel would go to the Gentiles, and among the Gentiles it would bear fruit.

But there's another subject in His Message, which is about the symbolic 'vineyard' itself:

Isa 5:7
7 For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah His pleasant plant: and He looked for judgment, but behold oppression; for righteousness, but behold a cry.
KJV

After 1 Kings 12, the "house of Israel" represented the ten northern tribes of Israel, the majority of the children of Israel. That's what the 'vineyard' in the parable represents, i.e., the majority of the scattered ten tribes, since they were first scattered among the Gentiles. Jesus did say that He was not sent but unto the house of Israel, which would only include believing Jews along with the scattered ten tribes that would receive The Gospel along with Gentiles. Apostle Paul revealed this in Romans 9 when he quoted from the Book of Hosea to Roman believers on Christ. Hosea was written to the house of Israel, not Gentiles. Yet Paul quoted it about the time when God would have mercy on a people that was lo-ami (not My people), and together would call them the sons of the living God.

Per Isaiah 5, God planted a symbolic vineyard (seed of Israel) and He put Judah as the pleasant plant over the vineyard. But it bear poison grapes instead of good fruit. And because of that, He declared He would do this:

Isa 5:5-6
5 And now go to; I will tell you what I will do to My vineyard: I will take away the hedge thereof, and it shall be eaten up; and break down the wall thereof, and it shall be trodden down:
6 And I will lay it waste: it shall not be pruned, nor digged; but there shall come up briers and thorns: I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it.
KJV

And that's what literally happened to Jerusalem when the Romans destroyed it in 70 A.D. And The Gospel went to the Gentiles (along with the scattered seed of Israel among the Gentiles), and they became the western Christian nations of history, representing the "nation" of Matt.21:43 bringing forth the fruits.