U.S. Atheists Reportedly Using Hair Dryers to 'De-Baptize'

Got some good and clean jokes to share? Everyone likes a laugh.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: U.S. Atheists Reportedly Using Hair Dryers to 'De-Baptiz

Post by Byblos »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:The Roman Catholic Church will de-baptize people here in this jurisdiction but it is a complicated procedure. The man who discipled me actually went through it, and it cost him a lot of time and money.
Seriously FL? A Catholic Church actually pretends they can do that? I shudder to think of what the Vatican would say of such a practice. Of course I could be wrong but that seems like an extremely heretical thing to do and absolutely against everything I know the Church teaches, i.e. one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. De-baptizing someone implies they can get baptized all over again, totally anti-Catholic.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:The Roman Catholic Church will de-baptize people here in this jurisdiction but it is a complicated procedure. The man who discipled me actually went through it, and it cost him a lot of time and money.
Seriously FL? A Catholic Church actually pretends they can do that? I shudder to think of what the Vatican would say of such a practice. Of course I could be wrong but that seems like an extremely heretical thing to do and absolutely against everything I know the Church teaches, i.e. one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. De-baptizing someone implies they can get baptized all over again, totally anti-Catholic.
Byblos, remember, FL is Canadian. They'll do anything, as long as there's bacon involved.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:Byblos, remember, FL is Canadian. They'll do anything, as long as there's bacon involved.
But is it Canadian bacon? :pound:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:Byblos, remember, FL is Canadian. They'll do anything, as long as there's bacon involved.
But is it Canadian bacon? :pound:
No, it's back bacon, you hoser.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Byblos wrote:Seriously FL? A Catholic Church actually pretends they can do that?
Seriously, the guy who discipled me went through the process. It doesn't make sense and seems impossible, and it must be. My guess is that he interpreted the process as de-baptizing. In any event, why would someone de-baptize only to get re-baptized in some other church???
RickD wrote:Byblos, remember, FL is Canadian.
Canadian on my passport, Swiss in spirit. I prefer cheese to bacon.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Byblos wrote:Seriously FL? A Catholic Church actually pretends they can do that?
Seriously, the guy who discipled me went through the process. It doesn't make sense and seems impossible, and it must be. My guess is that he interpreted the process as de-baptizing. In any event, why would someone de-baptize only to get re-baptized in some other church???
I don't know if they would or wouldn't, but de-baptizing certainly leaves the possibility open for re-baptizing, which is a foreign idea to Catholicism.

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Byblos wrote:de-baptizing certainly leaves the possibility open for re-baptizing, which is a foreign idea to Catholicism.
Here in Quebec, the RCC had special status so that when a baby was baptized, he was then put on the civil register. Since nearly everyone was Catholic, baptism = birth certificate. Things have changed now and a baptism is just a religious sacrament with the state having nothing to do with it.

I assume that the man who discipled me (a godfather for Catholics) simply ''divorced'' his birth certificate from his baptism (the two are one and the same here for older people) and then went about getting a retroactive birth certificate. The more I think about this whole story, the more it sounds looney.

I'll be visiting a lawyer friend on the weekend and I'll ask her about all this. Stay tuned.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

narnia4 wrote:On a more serious note, I'm so tired of this "New Atheist" movement. As Ravi Zacharias has often said, "What are you denying?" They spend so much time shaking their fists and hating (and it obviously is hate) this "imaginary" being. If He is on the same level as Santa Claus then that says a great deal about these atheists. I don't believe in Santa Claus, and I don't waste my time holding anti-Santa rallies or putting a fire under my chimney so that he gets burned when he comes down it.
The point is that there is no organization(s) sending people out to prosthelytize on behalf of "God". They protest the use of "God" in our founding documents, in our currency, in our government, ... churches on corners with bells ringing ( seriously...I've had that mentioned to me ) and all that is Christianity, Muslim, Catholic...whatever has to do with the ONE God.

They don't protest Santa, Zeus, Neptune...or any other gods because frankly no one takes these serious enough to push them on society as actually existing other than in myth.

I think it is quite easy to see why they shake their fists and hate. They are surrounded by "God" and cannot seem to exist without this "God" being shoved in their faces or laws made according to this non-existent ( or so they believe ) "God's" moral code(s).

What's not to understand? There is no legitimate reason to protest <insert god here> as no one really believes <insert god here> really exists.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:l be visiting a lawyer friend on the weekend and I'll ask her about all this. Stay tuned.
Byblos,

in 1986, the legislators here decided that a baptismal certificate issued by the RCC was no longer also birth certificate, and so all new babies from then on had to have a birth certificate. Older citizens could apply for a birth certificate on presentation of a baptismal certificate and a small fee of about $15. To this day, those born before 1986 and baptized in the RCC and Canadian citizens may only have a baptismal certificate and it will be considered a valid birth certificate. The present price for a new birth certificate issued on presentation of a baptismal certificate for older citizens is $25.

Previous to 1986, anyone wanting to have a new birth certificate would have had to go through the same procedure as for a name change. This would have been quite costly and would not nullify the baptismal certificate, which was the domain of the RCC anyway. So...the guy who discipled me is still baptized by the RCC!

FL

+ + +

+ + +
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:l be visiting a lawyer friend on the weekend and I'll ask her about all this. Stay tuned.
Byblos,

in 1986, the legislators here decided that a baptismal certificate issued by the RCC was no longer also birth certificate, and so all new babies from then on had to have a birth certificate. Older citizens could apply for a birth certificate on presentation of a baptismal certificate and a small fee of about $15. To this day, those born before 1986 and baptized in the RCC and Canadian citizens may only have a baptismal certificate and it will be considered a valid birth certificate. The present price for a new birth certificate issued on presentation of a baptismal certificate for older citizens is $25.

Previous to 1986, anyone wanting to have a new birth certificate would have had to go through the same procedure as for a name change. This would have been quite costly and would not nullify the baptismal certificate, which was the domain of the RCC anyway. So...the guy who discipled me is still baptized by the RCC!

FL
That's what I thought, there ain't no escaping it :mrgreen: .

narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

BavarianWheels wrote:
narnia4 wrote:On a more serious note, I'm so tired of this "New Atheist" movement. As Ravi Zacharias has often said, "What are you denying?" They spend so much time shaking their fists and hating (and it obviously is hate) this "imaginary" being. If He is on the same level as Santa Claus then that says a great deal about these atheists. I don't believe in Santa Claus, and I don't waste my time holding anti-Santa rallies or putting a fire under my chimney so that he gets burned when he comes down it.
The point is that there is no organization(s) sending people out to prosthelytize on behalf of "God". They protest the use of "God" in our founding documents, in our currency, in our government, ... churches on corners with bells ringing ( seriously...I've had that mentioned to me ) and all that is Christianity, Muslim, Catholic...whatever has to do with the ONE God.

They don't protest Santa, Zeus, Neptune...or any other gods because frankly no one takes these serious enough to push them on society as actually existing other than in myth.

I think it is quite easy to see why they shake their fists and hate. They are surrounded by "God" and cannot seem to exist without this "God" being shoved in their faces or laws made according to this non-existent ( or so they believe ) "God's" moral code(s).

What's not to understand? There is no legitimate reason to protest <insert god here> as no one really believes <insert god here> really exists.
You're not addressing what I actually said, which is why do they hate God? Let's say there were believers in Zeus who went around passing pro-Zeus legislation... is Zeus the guy you'd get mad at?

Also, given naturalism and reductionism and quite possibly a complete lack of consciousness and free will, its not as if Christians could help it either. If you're being consistent in your ideology you might as well relax instead of getting angry about something that doesn't matter at all.
Young, Restless, Reformed
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

narnia4 wrote:You're not addressing what I actually said, which is why do they hate God? Let's say there were believers in Zeus who went around passing pro-Zeus legislation... is Zeus the guy you'd get mad at?
I'm not sure you'll get many atheists to claim to hate "God", but rather what Christians shove down their throats about God. If they say they hate God, it's just to ruffle a Christian's feathers.
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

narnia4 wrote:You're not addressing what I actually said, which is why do they hate God? Let's say there were believers in Zeus who went around passing pro-Zeus legislation... is Zeus the guy you'd get mad at?
You made me laugh with "pro-Zeus legislation"... :lol: What would that include? :D
BavarianWheels wrote:I'm not sure you'll get many atheists to claim to hate "God", but rather what Christians shove down their throats about God. If they say they hate God, it's just to ruffle a Christian's feathers.
Why do you defend them?
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

Reactionary wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote:I'm not sure you'll get many atheists to claim to hate "God", but rather what Christians shove down their throats about God. If they say they hate God, it's just to ruffle a Christian's feathers.
Why do you defend them?
I'm pointing out that what Narnia4 said a few posts back is wrong.
One would be hard-pressed to find an atheist that hates the Christian God. I have spoken to many atheists. On forums and a few in person. None hate God specifically. To hate God would be nonsense. Rather they "hate" hypocrit Christians...and I can't help but agree to some degrees.

So I'm not defending their disbelief, but defending WHAT they actually have issue with...and it's not with "God", but the people of this imaginary God and the rules/morals they try/force onto and legislate on society. THAT part I agree with. God's morals should not be legislated onto secular society.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Reactionary wrote:
You made me laugh with "pro-Zeus legislation"... :lol: What would that include? :D

"pro-Zeus legislation"... err would be one Abortion on demand :esurprised:
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys