Corona Virus - How are you disinfecting things?

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Corona Virus - How are you disinfecting things?

Post by Philip »

Just curious how others have been disinfecting packaging, mail, etc? We started with 70% rubbing alcohol, but ran out - can only find 50% (not supposedly nearly as effective). Today, according to the CDC, 3% hydrogen peroxide is supposed to work very well (https://www.consumerreports.org/cleanin ... ronavirus/). So, I got a misting spray bottle and used the HP - which was a lot easier. Wipes and alcohol (can't get them!) dry out way too quickly, when disinfecting lots of groceries.

Any better ideas? No, moving to Mars isn't an option!
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Corona Virus - How are you disinfecting things?

Post by 1over137 »

Leave it untouched for there days 🙂
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Lover: Leave it untouched for there days
Well, don't run low on the toilet paper, then! :P
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

The virus becomes inactive after 3 to 24 hours or so on a surface depending on the ambient temperature. Leaving things untouched is easiest. My wife is a neat freak but still got the covid-19 so going around cleaning everything like crazy is no guarantee. Stay away from strangers, avoid watching all-news channels, keep your distance and enjoy your alcohol instead of rubbing things with it...You should be OK.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Sorry to hear about your wife, FlieG - hope and will pray it will be relatively mild for her!
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Philip wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:53 pm Sorry to hear about your wife, FlieG - hope and will pray it will be relatively mild for her!
I wasn’t fishing for prayer! Her case was bad, with all of the symptoms but one...two visits to the hospital and bronchitis as a complication. I wasn’t tested for coved-19 but only had three days of nausea and headache (no, it wasn’t a result of a Jack Daniels IV...)

The point is exactly what Lover 137 said: just don’t touch stuff. If you do, wash your hands and keep some distance from people. It’s no big deal

If you want to panic then listen to a news channel, wear a mask everywhere and rub everything down with alcohol, peroxide or bleach.

:amen:
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
I wasn’t fishing for prayer!
y[-o<
Praying for your health.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

FlieG: If you want to panic then listen to a news channel, wear a mask everywhere and rub everything down with alcohol, peroxide or bleach

Well, I'm sure if you are in an area that doesn't have as many (known) active cases, then the danger is far less. But as the science shows how long the virus is active on surfaces - even cardboard and plastic - and it's an invisible danger I can't see, then, for the time being, I'm just going to keep spraying and wiping down stuff we're coming into contact with. I don't worry so much about stores with open spaces and high ceilings - as long as I don't stand right next to someone. As for aerosol transmission that lingers from a sneeze - I mean, who now is sneezing without covering their mouth? There is simply a lot of unknowns - so if I need to take simple steps just to be sure, I'm not going to think it's all mostly hype - IS it???
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL,

It’s nice to see that you’ve finally removed yourself from that cesspool they call Montreal.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

RickD wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:36 pm FL,

It’s nice to see that you’ve finally removed yourself from that cesspool they call Montreal.
Montreal isn’t a cesspool. Toronto, Baltimore and Detroit are cesspools but Montreal is just a mess like most large cities in North America. New York City is a notable exception because it’s actually nice but with the corona virus outbreak, NYC isn’t the place to be now.
-John Stuart Mill
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Philip wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:45 am
FlieG: If you want to panic then listen to a news channel, wear a mask everywhere and rub everything down with alcohol, peroxide or bleach

Well, I'm sure if you are in an area that doesn't have as many (known) active cases, then the danger is far less. But as the science shows how long the virus is active on surfaces - even cardboard and plastic - and it's an invisible danger I can't see, then, for the time being, I'm just going to keep spraying and wiping down stuff we're coming into contact with. I don't worry so much about stores with open spaces and high ceilings - as long as I don't stand right next to someone. As for aerosol transmission that lingers from a sneeze - I mean, who now is sneezing without covering their mouth? There is simply a lot of unknowns - so if I need to take simple steps just to be sure, I'm not going to think it's all mostly hype - IS it???
I live between the twin summits of a low hill 5 miles in circumference and about 400 feet high. My nearest neighbor is about 500 feet away and the wife of that couple has covid-19. Am I worried? No. Worry won’t change a thing so there’s no point. Is the whining about covid-19 mostly hype? I’m sure there’s a lot of that because it’s good for ratings. Is the disease serious? Yes,of course but those who are worried or flippant about it are just silly. Here’s a site where you can see for yourself the progress of the disease and how various countries are doing:

www.worldometers.info

Click on Coronavirus update
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Fl wrote:
Montreal isn’t a cesspool.
That’s good. French Canadian defending motherland until the end.

If you think Montreal IS NOT a cesspool, you probably believe me when I say that Massachusetts isn’t a leftist hell hole.

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

RickD wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:12 pm
Fl wrote:
Montreal isn’t a cesspool.
That’s good. French Canadian defending motherland until the end.

If you think Montreal IS NOT a cesspool, you probably believe me when I say that Massachusetts isn’t a leftist hell hole.
I’m not defending anyone or anyplace. I’m no patriotic flag-waving imbecile. As for Massachusetts, all I can say is that Boston is a nice city to walk around in, probably because of all the smart young people living there. Boston is like Lublin, Poland, in that respect (but with crappy architecture). Another charming university town like Boston (but much smaller) is Sackville, Nova Scotia.

Now wash your hands with bleach so you don’t infect your computer.

y**== y**== y**==
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

My wife just got back from grocery shopping, and I immediately sprayed her from head to toe, with bleach, and now she looks like Michael Jackson.

Disinfecting can be fun!

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

You're a better man than me. I'm too lazy to spray my wife down so just locked her out of the house for three days.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)