Back to school

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Nicki
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Back to school

Post by Nicki »

I'm starting a one-year cooking course tomorrow :shock: At least I'm not the only oldie doing it.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Back to school

Post by RickD »

Nicki wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:02 am I'm starting a one-year cooking course tomorrow :shock: At least I'm not the only oldie doing it.
Everyone, please refrain from women cooking jokes. And please don't ask why a woman Nicki's age, needs classes to cook, when she should already be proficient.

These kinds of comments would be deemed appropriate inappropriate.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

RickD wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 am
Everyone, please refrain from women cooking jokes. And please don't ask why a woman Nicki's age, needs classes to cook, when she should already be proficient.
Unmarried women don’t need to know how to cook good food.

She probably has a new boyfriend so the cooking classes are to snare impress him.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Nicki wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:02 am I'm starting a one-year cooking course tomorrow :shock: At least I'm not the only oldie doing it.

These kinds of comments would be deemed appropriate inappropriate.
:lol: Love you, buddy. Just so you know, I'm hoping to actually get a job with the qualification. We made some pretty simple stuff today but I learned some new cutting techniques (I also cut my fingers slightly a couple of times - now I keep having thoughts of really cutting them :roll: ) My lack of confidence is not helping me in the kitchen but it was only the first day today, after all. I only have to go three days a week - tomorrow it's an afternoon and evening class and Friday similar hours but in the kitchen of the public restaurant at the college (eek!) Kind of suits me, not being so much of a morning person.
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Fliegender wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:55 pm
Unmarried women don’t need to know how to cook good food.

She probably has a new boyfriend so the cooking classes are to snare impress him.
Actually, I kind of feel as if I have a new boyfriend - the only other oldie in my group (he's even older than me). No, not boyfriend really, but I think we're going to be good friends :) Nice guy and he has some experience in the industry - he was helping me and other students with things today.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Nicki: I'm starting a one-year cooking course tomorrow :shock: At least I'm not the only oldie doing it.
Wow - and coincidentally, Rick is starting a one-year eating course - "Appreciation of Samwiches 101."
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

There are special gloves protecting hand from cutting.
I know, since recently my husband bought me one, after I cut top of my finger half-ly out.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

1over137 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:44 am There are special gloves protecting hand from cutting.
I know, since recently my husband bought me one, after I cut top of my finger half-ly out.
I think we just have to use the right cutting techniques (mainly keeping fingertips out of the way). I just nicked myself a couple of times peeling an onion or something. Today was a bit more of a relaxed day :esmile: - yesterday we had a long session in the kitchen with no break, making one thing after another.
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Nicki wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:46 am
I think we just have to use the right cutting techniques (mainly keeping fingertips out of the way). I just nicked myself a couple of times peeling an onion or something. Today was a bit more of a relaxed day :esmile: - yesterday we had a long session in the kitchen with no break, making one thing after another.
I think the glove Lover137 is talking about is mostly worn when using a mandolin cutter.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Fliegender wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:50 pm
Nicki wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:46 am
I think the glove Lover137 is talking about is mostly worn when using a mandolin cutter.
A mandolin is a fancy banjo. Who uses gloves to play the mandolin?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Gordon Ramsay’s ignorant brother wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:28 pm
A mandolin cutter is an instrument used in the kitchen, normally by women who make fancy sandwiches. It cuts vegetables into very thin slices. Ask your wife. She probably owns one.
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

French gender wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:38 pm
A mandolin cutter is an instrument used in the kitchen, normally by women who make fancy sandwiches. It cuts vegetables into very thin slices. Ask your wife. She probably owns one.
That would be mandoline, with an e on the end.

One is a fancy banjo. The other is a fancy knife.

You're a man. I wouldn't expect you to know this. I only know, because my wife told me.

Is it any wonder that Canada is so far behind the rest of the world, if Canadians don't know the difference between a string instrument, and a knife?

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Fundamentalist Grammar Nazi wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:03 pm
French gender wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:38 pm
That would be mandoline, with an e on the end.

One is a fancy banjo. The other is a fancy knife.

You're a man. I wouldn't expect you to know this. I only know, because my wife told me.
Ah... I stand corrected.
Probably a ClosetCanadian living in Florida (where else?!) wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:03 pm Is it any wonder that Canada is so far behind the rest of the world, if Canadians don't know the difference between a string instrument, and a knife?
Cana what? Cana whatever... who cares about an ice-covered dump to the north of the Greatest Nation On Earth?
-John Stuart Mill
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I wanted to cut bottom of a beetroot in the air.
And since my husband has sharpened my knives before and I was not used to such sharp knife for some time, to cut beetroot went so smoothly that also my finger cutting went so smoothly :)

oh gosh
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart