My Son

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

My Son

Post by Philip »

Well, today, my son, who just turned 21, signs a contract he has been offered to enter the Navy SEALs program (which means first Navy boot camp and then the unbelievable challenge to see if he makes it as a SEAL. He has been working out with a SEAL group for months, and his fitness numbers, running, swimming, pullups, pushups were all very good. So, as you might see any mention of the SEALs, as it might come to your mind, I'd appreciate any prayers sent his way - his name is Duncan. He leaves in October - he wants to be in even greater physical peak than now (which is already unreal). LOL, I guess what I did backfired, as he had just finished his first two years of college and still didn't know what he really wanted to major in, I told him to avoid the military at ALL costs! :lol: See how well my clever strategy has worked! :roll: Maybe I should have emphasized it instead. y:-?

Thanks, guys!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: My Son

Post by PaulSacramento »

Hope he makes it.
Being part of an elite group is quite something.
Remind him to keep his ego in check, which is quite hard to be honest.
Special Forces is all about NOT quitting.
They don't want the "gazelles" as much as they want the tenacious "bulldogs" ( or frogs in this case).

Remind him that "two is one and one is none", he'll understand.

The hardest part is dealing with the aftermath of combat, lots of us are still dealing with lots of demons.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:06 am Well, today, my son, who just turned 21, signs a contract he has been offered to enter the Navy SEALs program (which means first Navy boot camp and then the unbelievable challenge to see if he makes it as a SEAL. He has been working out with a SEAL group for months, and his fitness numbers, running, swimming, pullups, pushups were all very good. So, as you might see any mention of the SEALs, as it might come to your mind, I'd appreciate any prayers sent his way - his name is Duncan. He leaves in October - he wants to be in even greater physical peak than now (which is already unreal). LOL, I guess what I did backfired, as he had just finished his first two years of college and still didn't know what he really wanted to major in, I told him to avoid the military at ALL costs! :lol: See how well my clever strategy has worked! :roll: Maybe I should have emphasized it instead. y:-?

Thanks, guys!
I think it'll be a great experience for him, whatever happens. Becoming a navy seal takes some serious dedication. I was never able to join the military, because of an injury(no, not my lobotomy), so I wish him well
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Thanks, Rick!

My dad spent a long time both in and working for the Army - and I got enough of that military man mentality at home - so much so that I was determined to avoid it. But if one is smart with their money, it can be a really good situation for a young person. But my son has been talking about the SEALS for two years - I really thought his interest would fade. I guess he'll soon be getting the Uncle Sam tattoo on his butt! LOL He's also interested in one day becoming a youth pastor. He's a great kid!
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Paul: Hope he makes it.
Being part of an elite group is quite something.
Remind him to keep his ego in check, which is quite hard to be honest.
Special Forces is all about NOT quitting.
They don't want the "gazelles" as much as they want the tenacious "bulldogs" ( or frogs in this case).

Remind him that "two is one and one is none", he'll understand.

The hardest part is dealing with the aftermath of combat, lots of us are still dealing with lots of demons.
Thanks, Paul - I'm going to share your post with him. He's humble - has a team outlook. And probably as mentally tough as any kid I've ever known. He knows the DIs are going to try to make him quit, be in his face, relentlessly aggressive and psychologically oppressive, all that. But the terrors of war - who can really ever be totally prepared for that? I've emphasized the current geopolitics and dangerous enemies mean war is always just around the corner. I've gone over this stuff relentlessly with him, but he still seems incredibly drawn to it. Strangely, it's as if he simply can't NOT pursue it. I'm so close to him, that just the fact that I'll seldom get to see him will be very difficult. He's also very close to his little brother, who is five years younger. They work out and do everything together - it's gonna be tough on them both. And don't even get me started on how my wife will deal with it.