Something might smash Earth to bits

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Something might smash Earth to bits

Post by ultimate777 »

I know this might be better posted on an astronomy newsgroup but I don't know how to find one with high traffic or just about any others with high traffic either. I don't know if where I'm at now even qualifies as a newsgroup.

Anybody ever see the movie this trailer is from? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcLaMyc4ecE

Suppose some space object big enough to tear Earth to shreds was on a collision course with it?
How soon could we discover it before it got here?

In 1951, how soon?
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: Something might smash Earth to bits

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

ultimate777 wrote:I know this might be better posted on an astronomy newsgroup but I don't know how to find one with high traffic or just about any others with high traffic either. I don't know if where I'm at now even qualifies as a newsgroup.

Anybody ever see the movie this trailer is from? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcLaMyc4ecE

Suppose some space object big enough to tear Earth to shreds was on a collision course with it?
How soon could we discover it before it got here?

In 1951, how soon?
Probably years. We can detect small asteroids years before predicted impact.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

NO need to worry about large space rocks. As if THAT is how God winds things down - well, it will be unavoidable. It won't end but in the way He orchestrates and desires - it won't be an accident, to GOD. However, we're left this interesting passage from Genesis 8: "... I will never again destroy every living thing, as I have done.While the earth remains, Seed time and harvest, And cold and heat, And summer and winter, And day and night Shall not cease." This means that the seasons and man's perennial activities will remain while earth remains. Least that's what I get from that passage. Course, that doesn't rule out catastrophes in various areas across the earth - it just means none with any global finality - not until God is ready for it. And as He knows what WILL happen and exactly how the end will occur, then you can bet it cannot be avoided - no getting Bruce Willis and some clever boys into a spaceship to deliver a nuke to the menacing asteroid - least not one that takes out the earth. But prophecy seems to indicate that men will be still alive at the end, when all living Believers will be transformed - as will be a new or restored earth, with the New Jerusalem merging with it and God living amongst men.

Again, however God ends the present earth is unavoidable! And thankfully!
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Philip wrote:NO need to worry about large space rocks. As if THAT is how God winds things down - well, it will be unavoidable. It won't end but in the way He orchestrates and desires - it won't be an accident, to GOD. However, we're left this interesting passage from Genesis 8: "... I will never again destroy every living thing, as I have done.While the earth remains, Seed time and harvest, And cold and heat, And summer and winter, And day and night Shall not cease." This means that the seasons and man's perennial activities will remain while earth remains. Least that's what I get from that passage. Course, that doesn't rule out catastrophes in various areas across the earth - it just means none with any global finality - not until God is ready for it. And as He knows what WILL happen and exactly how the end will occur, then you can bet it cannot be avoided - no getting Bruce Willis and some clever boys into a spaceship to deliver a nuke to the menacing asteroid - least not one that takes out the earth. But prophecy seems to indicate that men will be still alive at the end, when all living Believers will be transformed - as will be a new or restored earth, with the New Jerusalem merging with it and God living amongst men.

Ok. So what if something really big is we find is due to collide with Earth in 20 years, should we try to stop it, or what?
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Philip wrote:NO need to worry about large space rocks. As if THAT is how God winds things down - well, it will be unavoidable. It won't end but in the way He orchestrates and desires - it won't be an accident, to GOD. However, we're left this interesting passage from Genesis 8: "... I will never again destroy every living thing, as I have done.While the earth remains, Seed time and harvest, And cold and heat, And summer and winter, And day and night Shall not cease." This means that the seasons and man's perennial activities will remain while earth remains. Least that's what I get from that passage. Course, that doesn't rule out catastrophes in various areas across the earth - it just means none with any global finality - not until God is ready for it. And as He knows what WILL happen and exactly how the end will occur, then you can bet it cannot be avoided - no getting Bruce Willis and some clever boys into a spaceship to deliver a nuke to the menacing asteroid - least not one that takes out the earth. But prophecy seems to indicate that men will be still alive at the end, when all living Believers will be transformed - as will be a new or restored earth, with the New Jerusalem merging with it and God living amongst men.

Ok. So what if something really big is we find is due to collide with Earth in 20 years, should we try to stop it, or what?
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

ultimate777 wrote:

I think so.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ultimate777 wrote:

You mean bigger than the Trump Train? I think you need to get on board! :wave:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ultimate: Ok. So what if something really big is we find is due to collide with Earth in 20 years, should we try to stop it, or what?
Of course. We may well not know if God will help us destroy it or not. He allows things to happen. He also allows us to try to stop them. We don't typically know what God's purposes are for a particular thing or event. But He always knows the outcome of something we see danger in. He may have a mere purpose of us seeking His protection, or in our struggle against some great difficulty. We just don't know, but we do our part to avoid disasters we can anticipate or plan for.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Philip wrote:
Ultimate: Ok. So what if something really big is we find is due to collide with Earth in 20 years, should we try to stop it, or what?
Of course. We may well not know if God will help us destroy it or not. He allows things to happen. He also allows us to try to stop them. We don't typically know what God's purposes are for a particular thing or event. But He always knows the outcome of something we see danger in. He may have a mere purpose of us seeking His protection, or in our struggle against some great difficulty. We just don't know, but we do our part to avoid disasters we can anticipate or plan for.

Would it be possible that we think He will do something, but He intends us to do something, and nothing is done?
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:

I have no intention of taking that hell bound train.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ultimate: Would it be possible that we think He will do something, but He intends us to do something, and nothing is done?
If God intends for us to do something, and He wants our actions to come to pass (KNOWS they will come to pass), then He will inspire and enable our actions to address the threat - successfully so, if that is His desire. As a side note, just because a large space rock hits, that doesn't mean it's the very end for earth - it may well be catastrophic for the planet, on a large scale, but it wouldn't necessarily mean such an event would end earth's existence. If a large rock approaches and we do nothing, A) God knows all about it - including any outcome per our lack or inability to proactively destroy it, and B) He desires to allow the results of it hitting, or not hitting. And C) He may allow such a threat to produce a large movement of people's of the earth to seek His deliverance.

Several points: God cannot be surprised or not know of a future event/outcome; He is all-powerful and thus can intervene or not, per whatever His desire and plans; We may well not know of His purposes if He allows such a threat or even an eventual actuality of a great collision. The earth's end will not come by accident or without God being in perfect control of how it goes down - it will occur as He so orchestrates. God loves mankind. He wants as many to develop faith in Jesus as possible. Not one person will be left, who would eventually come to faith, given more time. Matthew 24: "And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and THEN the end will come." Note, it does not say HOW LONG after the Gospel has reached worldwide, that the end will arrive. But the Gospel is "Good News" - meant for men to hear and obey. Before the end, not all will have yet been given that opportunity, to hear and respond. Therefore, God is not going to allow some huge space rock, or anything else He allows or sends to end our world, one moment before He desires it to. And when God deems that end come, all Believers will be joyful at it's arrival - and wouldn't want the evil and corruption to continue one moment longer. Only God knows when this is best to occur. But we must trust His perfect knowledge and plans for us individually, as well as the entire earth and humanity.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:

Everybody take notice, this "person" complains about me bringing up Trump. Well guess who brought up Trump this time?:pound:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:

Everybody take notice, this "person" complains about me bringing up Trump. Well guess who brought up Trump this time?:pound:
Ultimate,

I deleted your last two posts here because it was a mess. Your quotes were illegible.

If you read my warning to you, I never said anything about you "bringing up Trump". The issue wasn't that you had Trump threads, it was that the threads were spamming the forum, and were just attacks against him. I have no problem with you or anybody else starting meaningful threads about Trump.

There are a lot of us here who aren't the biggest of Trump fans, but the attacking of him in multiple threads has to stop.

Thank you for your cooperation.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

The talk about trains and asteroids makes me think of this anime- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Galaxy_Railways