Being an introvert

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Nicki
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Being an introvert

Post by Nicki »

It seems to me (as an introvert) that it would be much better to be extraverted. I know that they don't completely equate to being outgoing or reserved, but we introverts do tend to have more of a problem in terms of shyness and lack of confidence. The extraverts can just go and say anything to anyone, it seems, whereas introverts are often paralysed by nervousness. Now, part of introversion is actually preferring to be alone, but sometimes you just have to talk to people and sometimes you'd like to somehow have a deep relationship with someone without all the tiresome small talk - actually, I often find it boring more than anything else.

Any other introverts feel hard done by, or are there compensations I haven't thought of? Is it just as bad being an extravert in some other way?
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Being an introvert

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Nicki wrote:It seems to me (as an introvert) that it would be much better to be extraverted. I know that they don't completely equate to being outgoing or reserved, but we introverts do tend to have more of a problem in terms of shyness and lack of confidence. The extraverts can just go and say anything to anyone, it seems, whereas introverts are often paralysed by nervousness. Now, part of introversion is actually preferring to be alone, but sometimes you just have to talk to people and sometimes you'd like to somehow have a deep relationship with someone without all the tiresome small talk - actually, I often find it boring more than anything else.

Any other introverts feel hard done by, or are there compensations I haven't thought of? Is it just as bad being an extravert in some other way?

I think both have their good and bad points being introverted or extraverted.It depends on the situation also and what kind of person you want to get to know.Just because a person might be extraverted does not necessarily mean they would be compatible with you and visa versa too.But to have a relationship with somebody you must be willing to take a chance and communicate.Then you have to ask yourself, is it just somebody that you'd like to be friends with or is it a romantic attraction? If it is just for a friend it is probably easier to communicate but if it is romantic attraction it can be more difficult,but often it will be a mutual attraction if it is meant to be and you can just tell.Then if they are same sex or not.No matter which you must atleast be willing to communicate.It also depends on how important it is to you,sometimes it can be worth it to take the chance but sometimes it may not be.It also depends on how well you know somebody also and what kind of a reputation they have,in some cases they could be bad news for you especially if you don't know much about them.But no matter what you must be willing to communicate if it is important to you.It is not fool proof but you must be willing to communicate if you truly need the relationship or situation knowing it could be good or bad until you know more.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Nicki wrote:It seems to me (as an introvert) that it would be much better to be extraverted. I know that they don't completely equate to being outgoing or reserved, but we introverts do tend to have more of a problem in terms of shyness and lack of confidence. The extraverts can just go and say anything to anyone, it seems, whereas introverts are often paralysed by nervousness. Now, part of introversion is actually preferring to be alone, but sometimes you just have to talk to people and sometimes you'd like to somehow have a deep relationship with someone without all the tiresome small talk - actually, I often find it boring more than anything else.

I think both have their good and bad points being introverted or extraverted.It depends on the situation also and what kind of person you want to get to know.Just because a person might be extraverted does not necessarily mean they would be compatible with you and visa versa too.But to have a relationship with somebody you must be willing to take a chance and communicate.Then you have to ask yourself, is it just somebody that you'd like to be friends with or is it a romantic attraction? If it is just for a friend it is probably easier to communicate but if it is romantic attraction it can be more difficult,but often it will be a mutual attraction if it is meant to be and you can just tell.Then if they are same sex or not.No matter which you must atleast be willing to communicate.It also depends on how important it is to you,sometimes it can be worth it to take the chance but sometimes it may not be.It also depends on how well you know somebody also and what kind of a reputation they have,in some cases they could be bad news for you especially if you don't know much about them.But no matter what you must be willing to communicate if it is important to you.It is not fool proof but you must be willing to communicate if you truly need the relationship or situation knowing it could be good or bad until you know more.
Thanks - sounds about right. I was thinking not just of relationships but life in general when it involves interactions with others. When I was younger if I saw someone I knew, from church or something, while shopping for example, I'd usually try to avoid them because I just didn't want to talk to them - I felt so awkward. I still sometimes get an urge to avoid someone I know - it depends who it is of course. I just feel I'd have so much more confidence if I was an extravert. So what's the downside of being an extravert - does anyone who's more that way know?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nicki,

What you're describing, doesn't seem like an introvert vs extrovert thing. It seems like you may have social anxiety. I'm an introvert, and I have no problem initiating conversations with people.

I think introverts tend to regain energy, and de-stress, by doing something alone. While extroverts tend to "feed" off of being around other people, when they need to re energize.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

As an introvert I see people as, well, beneath me.
I am more interested in what I am doing then someone else, what I am thinking than someone else.
In short, I prefer to spend time with me than with someone else.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:As an introvert I see people as, well, beneath me.
I am more interested in what I am doing then someone else, what I am thinking than someone else.
In short, I prefer to spend time with me than with someone else.
Paul,

What you said, reminds me of this:

We may have to start calling you Loki.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

That looks like it may have hurt.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I just feel I'd have so much more confidence if I was an extravert.
Ah, what's an "extravert?"

My default nature is being introverted - but I am often quite extroverted in my interactions with others. But I need lots of time alone - and my wife is a bit like that. As I care much more about the "big picture" stuff, I ignore and overcome when I'm not entirely comfortable in the spotlight. You can't be ruled by your feelings and insecurities. Because if you begin to step out to override your insecurities and safe space, you'll find that many of them go away and you'll become comfortable and confident in areas you weren't previously. There are a lot of people who can turn on their extroversion side when they need to - lots of actors and public speakers, leaders, are actually introverts.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

It's a Canadian extrovert, eh?

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

RickD wrote:

You mean, an EHtrovert! :ewink:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
RickD wrote:

You mean, an EHtrovert! :ewink:
Leave the jokes to me, please.

-Edward R Murrow

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

RickD wrote:

Nicki,

What you're describing, doesn't seem like an introvert vs extrovert thing. It seems like you may have social anxiety. I'm an introvert, and I have no problem initiating conversations with people.

I think introverts tend to regain energy, and de-stress, by doing something alone. While extroverts tend to "feed" off of being around other people, when they need to re energize.
Thanks - I think you're right in a way. I suppose I've always linked my liking to be alone with being quiet and not outgoing - they often go together but it's quite possible to be introverted and confident.