Dash cam experience

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Dash cam experience

Post by RickD »

I'm looking to purchase a dash cam for my son. Does anyone here have experience with them?

I'm looking for iPhone compatibility, as well as high heat tolerance, because I live in Florida.

I seem to have narrowed it down to a Thinkware F770.

Anyone have any thoughts, good or bad?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Re: Dash cam experience

Post by Philip »

Rick, is his driving THAT bad? Are you anticipating police action? Wrecks? What?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:Rick, is his driving THAT bad? Yes, it's horrible.Are you anticipating police action? No.Wrecks? Possibly.What? I think we have the world's laziest drivers here.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: I think we have the world's laziest drivers here.
Nope - sorry, SC wins that sad distinction. Actually, Boston drivers may be worse, though. Never put on a turn signal up there, to move over - because you'll never get over. Ya gotta just go, before they cut you off.
peter007
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Post by peter007 »

I was wondering why you don't go for DSLR cam?
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

RickD wrote:I'm looking to purchase a dash cam for my son. Does anyone here have experience with them?

I'm looking for iPhone compatibility, as well as high heat tolerance, because I live in Florida.

It just so happens my wife and I have some experience with dashcams. Started with 2 el cheapos with so many issues its too long to type out.

We decided to spend more money to see if we could get a better unit without spending $300 and higher. She ended up with a Cobra. She's had it close to 2 years with not a single issue. She drives 30+ miles a day to work on crazy freeway traffic, which is why I wanted her to have one. The Cobra has easy to use interface, logical menu layout, excellent video quality....attributes the garbage cams did not have.

The brand you mentioned isn't familiar to me. One good tool for researching stuff is product reviews on Amazon. Most people are pretty blunt in their opinions good or bad, especially bad.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
JButler
Established Member

Post by JButler »

Need to make a correction to my reply........the brand of the good car cam is GARMIN.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:I'm looking to purchase a dash cam for my son. Does anyone here have experience with them?

You and I have tangled in the past and probably will in the future. But I really wish I could help you with this, it would be the Christian thing to do. But I had to google dash cams, just to find out what they were, so there's not much advice I can give you :( I notice some very interesting legal restrictions and what not in various states and countries which I'm not at all sure I'm down with. One state won't even "let" you record law enforcement personnel.

I pray you will find what you and your son need y[-o<
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ultimate777 wrote:

You and I have tangled in the past and probably will in the future. But I really wish I could help you with this, it would be the Christian thing to do. But I had to google dash cams, just to find out what they were, so there's not much advice I can give you :( I notice some very interesting legal restrictions and what not in various states and countries which I'm not at all sure I'm down with. One state won't even "let" you record law enforcement personnel.

Thanks for the kind words Ultimate. I'm sorry I haven't kept this thread updated. I got him a Thinkware F770. It's a great front and rear camera package. He can work it on his iPhone.

Which state is law enforcement recording not allowed? I just thought it was legal everywhere. The whole, "public officials in public, have no expectation of privacy" thing.

-Edward R Murrow

ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:

Thanks for the kind words Ultimate. I'm sorry I haven't kept this thread updated. I got him a Thinkware F770. It's a great front and rear camera package. He can work it on his iPhone.

Which state is law enforcement recording not allowed? I just thought it was legal everywhere. The whole, "public officials in public, have no expectation of privacy" thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashcam#Legality

If I read this right its Illinois.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashcam#Legality

If I read this right its Illinois.
Looks like you're correct. That's a shame that Illinois doesn't believe in freedom, like the rest of the states do.

-Edward R Murrow