Calling All Geeks: "How do I ... ?" Etc.

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Calling All Geeks: "How do I ... ?" Etc.

Post by Philip »

There's a lot of smart people on this forum, and there are a lot of technically challenged, like I sometimes am. So, I thought I'd start a thread to ask questions that other might be able to help with.

Question: How do I turn off the stupid auto-correct - both on a PC and on a tablet?

I tried some things I found online, but they didn't solve the issue. You wouldn't believe how often it puts the wrong words in place of what you meant to type. I'd rather just see an underline that a word is misspelled.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Calling All Geeks: "How do I ... ?" Etc.

Post by B. W. »

Philip wrote:There's a lot of smart people on this forum, and there are a lot of technically challenged, like I sometimes am. So, I thought I'd start a thread to ask questions that other might be able to help with.

Question: How do I turn off the stupid auto-correct - both on a PC and on a tablet?

I tried some things I found online, but they didn't solve the issue. You wouldn't believe how often it puts the wrong words in place of what you meant to type. I'd rather just see an underline that a word is misspelled.

:eugeek: Good Luck :eugeek:

After 133 to the 200,000,000 power tries maybe you will discover the answer of the modern tech age!
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Philip wrote:There's a lot of smart people on this forum, and there are a lot of technically challenged, like I sometimes am. So, I thought I'd start a thread to ask questions that other might be able to help with.

What i do is when that happens i go back and try to edit it.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

I'm not aware of any auto-correct features on a PC that are not software-specific such as MS Word. And those that are software-specific can obviously be turned on or off in the preferences of that software. As for tablets and phones, I can only answer as related to android devices (I categorically refuse to use anything apple). For android devices, it depends on the keyboard app you are using but generally you can change the settings by going anywhere the keyboard is displayed (such as when texting). If you hold down the key to the left of the space bar (usually the comma button or the one to its left), a small window will pop up with the Settings wheel. Press Settings and change the settings under 'Auto Replace' to 'No language selected' (in other words just deselect any language that may be selected). That should do it.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Thanks, Byblos!
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

Before Windows 10 I could tell you pretty easy. With Win10 its a mess. However I know there is a menu to check or uncheck that feature because I saw in the past couple weeks while floundering around trying to solve a Win10 problem.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

helpmyspacebarbroke
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

JButler: However I know there is a menu to check or uncheck that feature because I saw in the past couple weeks while floundering around trying to solve a Win10 problem.
But, WHERE, JB???
Nicki
Sex: Female

Post by Nicki »

Philip wrote:
JButler: However I know there is a menu to check or uncheck that feature because I saw in the past couple weeks while floundering around trying to solve a Win10 problem.
But, WHERE, JB???
So frustrating trying to remember where you saw something in the settings! I'm not sure myself though - my computer doesn't seem to have an overall auto-correct thing; on this forum mistakes will be underlined but when I use the Wordpad word-processing program it does nothing about mistakes. Maybe auto-correct was off by default.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

For Windows 10, try this:

1. Settings
2. Devices
3. Typing (on the left side)
4. Turn off Autocorrect

(funny, my PC has autocorrect turned on but did not autocorrect the word 'autocorrect', only red underlined it :mrgreen: ).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Genius, Byblos! Finally found it - not precisely the way you said, but it is in there. Thanks!
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

:good:

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

But now my problem is, how am I going to keep blaming auto-correct for my errors? :roll:

Course, I've only solved the problem on my PC - not on my iPad - so... :mrgreen:
JButler
Established Member

Post by JButler »

Glad you found the solution because I still don't know where in Win 10 that little menu was stuffed. I feel your pain having been in a bind so many times and the instructions on where/how to fix DO NOT match up with what I'm seeing on my PC.

I try not to let my kid find out because I'll get cute remark about "should buy an Apple pc".
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Philip wrote:But now my problem is, how am I going to keep blaming auto-correct for my errors? :roll:

Course, I've only solved the problem on my PC - not on my iPad - so... :mrgreen:
You're SOL there buddy. Like I said, I only deal with Android and Windows. Apple is just a fruit. :mrgreen: