Funny stuff in space

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Funny stuff in space

Post by ultimate777 »

I don't think anyone has ever flown around the world in the tropics (anywhere else would be too easy) in less than 24 hours non-stop GOING WEST in an airplane or a space vehicle. Suppose you are the first and especially if you continue for more than one circuit at least as fast, what would you notice about sunrises and sunsets no one has ever seen before?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Funny stuff in space

Post by RickD »

ultimate777 wrote:I don't think anyone has ever flown around the world in the tropics (anywhere else would be too easy) in less than 24 hours non-stop GOING WEST in an airplane or a space vehicle. Suppose you are the first and especially if you continue for more than one circuit at least as fast, what would you notice about sunrises and sunsets no one has ever seen before?
If flying around the earth in slightly less than 24 hours, let's say at the equator, we'd notice the sun seems to take longer to set. But since the time from sunrise to sunset on the equator is just over 12 hours, you'd have to fly around the earth in less than 12 hours, in order to not see a sunset, right?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:I don't think anyone has ever flown around the world in the tropics (anywhere else would be too easy) in less than 24 hours non-stop GOING WEST in an airplane or a space vehicle. Suppose you are the first and especially if you continue for more than one circuit at least as fast, what would you notice about sunrises and sunsets no one has ever seen before?
If flying around the earth in slightly less than 24 hours, let's say at the equator, we'd notice the sun seems to take longer to set. But since the time from sunrise to sunset on the equator is just over 12 hours, you'd have to fly around the earth in less than 12 hours, in order to not see a sunset, right?
Let's say you are the first to fly around the world west there in not just less than 24 hours, but considerably less, say well under 12 hours to be on the safe side, and you might have to go around that fast at least twice and you can see behind you as well as in front, with mirrors or being able to turn around, or however, then what would you notice?

You'll hate yourself if you don't get it :ebiggrin:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:
Let's say you are the first to fly around the world west there in not just less than 24 hours, but considerably less, say well under 12 hours to be on the safe side, and you might have to go around that fast at least twice and you can see behind you as well as in front, with mirrors or being able to turn around, or however, then what would you notice?

I'm guessing it's something along the lines of never losing sight of the sun.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:

I'll put you out of your misery, or put you in it :pound:

You would see the sun rise in the west and set in the east.Do you know why? It would be even better if you were in orbit, at a number of loops every day. But they never launch to the west, do you know why?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:

You would see the sun rise in the west and set in the east.Do you know why? It would be even better if you were in orbit, at a number of loops every day. But they never launch to the west, do you know why?
No, why?

-Edward R Murrow

ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote: If flying around the earth in slightly less than 24 hours, let's say at the equator, we'd notice the sun seems to take longer to set. But since the time from sunrise to sunset on the equator is just over 12 hours, you'd have to fly around the earth in less than 12 hours, in order to not see a sunset, right?

No, why?
Did you mean both whys? Anyhow, imagine you are in an autorace, many laps on a long track. One of the cars needs at least
twice as much time as you do to go a lap. From time to time it will kind of look like the car is backing up and going past you in the way you are not going. But you will see in any case enough indicators that will show you that is not the case.

Now its kind of like that if you are going around the Earth west at twice the speed of its rotation. It will look like you are
racing the sun to the west at twice its speed. If you keep going you will pass it and soon lap it and pass it again.

Now as for the other why, when you launch east which is the way the Earth is turning its like you are running real fast while you throw a ball forward. The closer to the equator you are the more the effect, also.

If you launch west its like you are running backwards and throwing the ball the way you are facing.

The taxpayers might not appreciate it.