The new year

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
theophilus
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

The new year

Post by theophilus »

A lot of people stay up until midnight on December 31. According to the Bible it isn't necessary to stay up this late. In the Bible a new day starts at sunset of the previous day. That means that the new year actually starts at sunset of December 31. It is possible to celebrate the new year without losing any sleep.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The new year

Post by RickD »

theophilus wrote:A lot of people stay up until midnight on December 31. According to the Bible it isn't necessary to stay up this late. In the Bible a new day starts at sunset of the previous day. That means that the new year actually starts at sunset of December 31. It is possible to celebrate the new year without losing any sleep.
If you're going to follow Jewish days, why aren't you following the Jewish calendar?

Rosh Hashana doesn't begin at sunset on December 31.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

theophilus wrote:A lot of people stay up until midnight on December 31. According to the Bible it isn't necessary to stay up this late. In the Bible a new day starts at sunset of the previous day. That means that the new year actually starts at sunset of December 31. It is possible to celebrate the new year without losing any sleep.
Yes - go to bed earlier...

-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

RickD wrote:If you're going to follow Jewish days, why aren't you following the Jewish calendar?
The idea that each day begins at sunset was established at creation so it isn't limited to Jews. The description of each day ends with the phrase "There was evening and there was morning."
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

So I just have start drinking my vodka earlier then?? y:-? :mrgreen:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

theophilus wrote:
RickD wrote:If you're going to follow Jewish days, why aren't you following the Jewish calendar?
The idea that each day begins at sunset was established at creation so it isn't limited to Jews. The description of each day ends with the phrase "There was evening and there was morning."
What?

How does what you said here:
That means that the new year actually starts at sunset of December 31.
Logically conclude from each day begins at sunset, from the beginning of creation?

You are inconsistently using a calendar that the days begin at midnight, and the year begins on January 1st, and are mixing it with your belief that we should follow a different calendar where the days begin at sundown.

I hope you can see how illogical that is. Not to mention all the people who live near the arctic circle, who have no sunset this time of year.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony