Musician Thread

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Musician Thread

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Hello fellow board members.

Who here is a musician, I know Jac is and I know B.W are both musicians, along with myself of course, is there anyone else out there who likes to express themselves musically.

Maybe one day I might post some of my you tube videos, only if I have a day that I am feeling more courageous than usual.

So a little bit about myself, I have been playing guitar since about 13, so that means I have been playing for around 23 years and I still suck. :lol:

I prefer to play electric and I currently have a 2015 American Stratocaster, I play through a Fender Hotrod Deville (I hate the amp, bought it cheap though) and I have an out of control pedal board (I have G.A.S). I also own a lovely Australian made Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 acoustic guitar which sadly I do not play that much.

I am currently saving for a pure class A hand wired turret board head, it is made locally and is of a quality for studio recording. I aspire to own a Les Paul one day (I know over priced piece of turd), preferably a plain top with faded cherry burst in the traditional style.

I also play bass guitar and I think I love playing that just as much as guitar. At church this is what I prefer to play as I love playing the right notes to accent the chords being played and drive the song where I feel it should go. I love scales and I love the way that bass makes me think differently about musical phrasing, syncopation and other such nuances that make good music great. I also get a variety of music to play from traditional hymns, contemporary Christian music, to heavy Christian rock at the youth services. God has definitely called me in this direction and I was given the opportunity to put my skills to an even higher level when he gave me the opportunity to become the worship music leader last year.

We are only a small Church (about 100 regulars on a Sunday morn and 30-40 kids in the evening) in a small town, but everyone who visits always comments on our music. We have been very blessed with loads of talent in the congregation and have also been blessed with very generous donations specifically to the music ministry. I feel privileged and proud that God has entrusted me with this position and I hope and pray that I continue to lead our congregation in the worship of our great God.

I like a very broad range of music across all genres, everything from Bach to Tool and beyond, I try not to limit myself in anyway when it comes to music as I think everything serves to expand my playing, but there is some stuff I can't get into, but sometimes you just don't like something.

I may post a picture of me playing..........

Anyway enough about me, feel free to share your musical story.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Musician Thread

Post by JButler »

I would love to but have no music producing talent at all. Everyone in my family can play at least one instrument and read music. Took guitar lessons as a kid until the teacher moved. It was awkward for a 9 yr old to work a 1955 Gibson Sunburst.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

I've been playing guitar for about 40 years (yeah, don't remind me!). I have two acoustic 6 strings - an early 70s Hofner and an Eastman cutaway (about three years old), a mid-80s Epiphone acoustic 12-string, a Guild "Manhattan" jazz guitar from the mid-80s, and a '68 Stratocaster. I also noodle on keyboards - have a Yamaha keyboard/synthesizer. Besides apologetics and theology, and gardening and landscaping, playing and listening to music is my biggest hobby. I like to compose and record original compositions, in a variety of mixed styles and genres. But there's just not enough time to become as technically knowledgeable as I'd like to. I can't really read notation charts, only tablature and chord diagrams.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I've been playing the guitar for years. I have a strat style guitar,a Jackson Flying V and I have a Marshall half stack amp.I also have an electric acoustic guitar.I also have a mandolin and I learned a few songs.Right now,I don't get to play the guitar much,but I hope to get back to our jam nights our family has where I play music and play along with it,or learn to play it by ear.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

What style of music would you normally play ACB?
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Philip wrote:I've been playing guitar for about 40 years (yeah, don't remind me!). I have two acoustic 6 strings - an early 70s Hofner and an Eastman cutaway (about three years old), a mid-80s Epiphone acoustic 12-string, a Guild "Manhattan" jazz guitar from the mid-80s, and a '68 Stratocaster. I also noodle on keyboards - have a Yamaha keyboard/synthesizer. Besides apologetics and theology, and gardening and landscaping, playing and listening to music is my biggest hobby. I like to compose and record original compositions, in a variety of mixed styles and genres. But there's just not enough time to become as technically knowledgeable as I'd like to. I can't really read notation charts, only tablature and chord diagrams.

I feel you pain Philip with not having time for better proficiency. Other than timemy biggest struggle is concentration, I get distracted easily and can lose my place. It can be especially frustrating when this happens in worship music, I want to honour God with everything I have, but during the song my mind will wander until I make a glaring mistake. Luckily 90% of people in the congregation won't notice as they are not musicians, but it still doesn't stop me from turning bright red. :oops:
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:What style of music would you normally play ACB?
I mostly play Rock music or country music.I'm more of a rocker,that is my style,but of course I could play other styles of music.However I like different kinds of music. I like Rock,country,blue grass,blues,jazz,heavy metal,gospel music,Motown,disco,etc. About the only music I don't like is opera music.But being a musician I can notice talent and respect it regardless of the style of music.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.