Gift Giving - Your thoughts?

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Gift Giving - Your thoughts?

Post by Kurieuo »

Christmas is quickly approaching, again.
You know, I use to kind of think "gift giving" was a free act of kindness.
Really the way it works in society it is more an expected social norm.

And, I really hate it, find it demeans my gift, when such is just seen as an obligation I'm fulfilling.
Likewise, I really hate people giving me or my kids gifts who I feel are really doing it out of obligation.
So, when someone in my family told me specifically what to get them, it really kind of irked me.

Then I started realising what we call "gift giving" is actually "obligatory giving" and we just call such gifts.

So what are your thoughts? And thoughts on the following picture?
Do you feel this ruins the meaning. I guess I liked the idea that if I give something to someone, it's because I want to.
In reality, I'm seeing many give because they feel obligated to. And the sensitive part of me actually feels kind of ripped off and hurt that this bubble of how I saw gift-giving has been pricked. Such that I may give everyone nothing to make a point, and tell them they can save their money and do the same for me if they're doing it just because they feel some customary obligation to do so.
gift-you-told-me-to-buy.png
gift-you-told-me-to-buy.png (39.26 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Gift Giving - Your thoughts?

Post by Storyteller »

I love Christmas, I absolutely adore giving gifts, wrapping them and seeing the face of the person when they open it.

I prefer giving gifts to getting them to be honest. I spend ages choosing gifts for people. Sometimes they cost pennies, sometimes they can be quite expensive but the thought that goes into them is the same.
My daughter loves it too, she saves her pocket money all year so she can get me and her dad a present, she even gets one for the dog and cat!

As for getting gifts, me? I`d prefer a hug, or a kind gesture.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

K,

I honestly didn't know that you Aussies celebrated Christmas. I thought Australia was an atheist country.

y:(|)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:K,

I honestly didn't know that you Aussies celebrated Christmas. I thought Australia was an atheist country.

Maybe the fact they have Christmas in summer has fried his brain?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:K,

Maybe the fact they have Christmas in summer has fried his brain?
Maybe. What kind of miserable Christmas is it with no snow and warm weather?

Wait, nevermind. I live in Florida. y#-o
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

I know what to get you and K for Christmas.....

snow.

Do you wanna build a snowman?
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Kurieuo wrote:Christmas is quickly approaching, again.

And, I really hate it, find it demeans my gift, when such is just seen as an obligation I'm fulfilling.
Likewise, I really hate people giving me or my kids gifts who I feel are really doing it out of obligation.
So, when someone in my family told me specifically what to get them, it really kind of irked me.

Then I started realising what we call "gift giving" is actually "obligatory giving" and we just call such gifts.

Do you feel this ruins the meaning. I guess I liked the idea that if I give something to someone, it's because I want to.
In reality, I'm seeing many give because they feel obligated to. And the sensitive part of me actually feels kind of ripped off and hurt that this bubble of how I saw gift-giving has been pricked. Such that I may give everyone nothing to make a point, and tell them they can save their money and do the same for me if they're doing it just because they feel some customary obligation to do so.
Christmas is and has always been my favorite holiday however I do not let gift giving get in the way of the real reason for the season.I do wish we had snow at Christmas however I prefer hot weather instead of cold weather but snow would be nice on Christmas. I give gifts but I do not let gift giving be a burden and I give what I can I try to stay focused on the meaning of Christmas and listen to Christmas music alot,sitting by the tree,drinking hot chocolate or coffee with my family and I really try to focus on Christ's birthday.I would say don't let gift giving or recieving much of an issue and focus more on the reason for Christmas. There have been times when it was just me by myself on Christmas and I still enjoyed Christmas. And yes santa Claus brings gifts too.
Santa Claus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBEhlBJ4MEk
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

That makes me think of my children mostly - I've been helping them make Christmas and birthday lists for a few years so I can get a good idea of what they'd like and they can't complain too much, but now it makes me feel as if I'm just filling orders, so I try to get them a surprise as well as some of what they wanted (the lists can be extensive). I haven't really had a lot of other experience with gifts; I exchanged them with my immediate family while we were still living in the same country but we never did with the extended family - Christmas was just about spending time together eating and catching up.

I suppose there's a sense of obligation when one of the kids is going to a birthday party to buy a present, although lately they've convinced me that the birthday child would prefer cash! That probably has a lot more appeal for a kid than it would for us.

I guess I wouldn't much like feeling obligated to exchange Christmas presents with people - it really should be done because you want to!
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

K, give everybody hug this Christmas. Next year you would not feel obligated to buy something as people would not expect the bought gift from you. :)

So, next Christmas you may have real joy when feeling like buying some gift to someone. :)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

K, give everybody hug this Christmas. Next year you would not feel obligated to buy something as people would not expect the bought gift from you. :)

So, next Christmas you may have real joy when feeling like buying some gift to someone. :)
:D boy, if you can't learn to love the way this woman thinks ... well, you just haven't learned to love ! y*-:) y>:D<
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Hey wait a minute..
The family member isn't Mrs K is it? y:-?

y:D
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

How did everyone's gift giving and receiving go? Any nice suprises given or received? :-P
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I got an acoustic guitar amp :mrgreen: and an iPhone! So, I'm totally appreciative!

We buy just a couple of key presents for the boys, and a couple for each other - no surprises, and the PRECISE thing each wants - which is usually quite practical. Amazon.com is wonderful, no shopping, NO retail, no malls (I haven't been in a mall in years!). We also do the Angel Tree gifts for those who wouldn't have gifts otherwise.
loise23
Newbie Member

Post by loise23 »

All kids like toys and I have decided to give some unique toys to my kids on this new year :)
I bought some soft toys for them but one of my kids told me he wants an electronic car, So could anyone of you please suggest me from where I can buy and which type of electronic car should I buy??
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

I think our wives should spend hours hanging out door lights year after year and changing burnt out bulbs from these two stories high midst cold gusty wind on a precarious ladder...

Only thing I do not like about Christmas is hanging outdoor lights... but in the Land Down under in warm weather - might be okay :lol:

Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Da'y...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys