Best translation of the Bible?

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Bluejay4
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Best translation of the Bible?

Post by Bluejay4 »

I'm looking to purchase a Bible, but I'm unsure which translation I should get. Could anyone help me out?
“I fear no man. If you breathe oxygen, I do not fear you.” – Conor McGregor

"Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" - Psalms 27:1
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Best translation of the Bible?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

The best translation of the Bible is the one you are going to enjoy reading.

(All other translations will be excellent dust collectors.)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Bluejay4 wrote:I'm looking to purchase a Bible, but I'm unsure which translation I should get. Could anyone help me out?
People vary on which translation they prefer but I think you should buy a KJV bible first and then maybe over time try some of the other translations.I personally always go by the KJV first,but I have other translations that I compare with the KJV and when there is a discrepancy I always go with the KJV. You also might need to invest in a Strong's Hebrew/Greek concordance also when and if you can.I trust the KJV more because I feel that there was less bias when it was translated than there is today. And the people who translated it could read Hebrew by the time they were 8 years old,these people were experts on Hebrew and Greek.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

I would suggest the NASB or the NKJV bibles for a literal English from the the original languages translation. Another from a more expanded paraphrased translation would the be the NLT.

It is best to use several but choose one that is easiest for you to understand to daily read from. The others, use for study and comparisons.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
theophilus
Valued Member

Post by theophilus »

I recommend the English Standard Version. You can read it online here to see how you like it:

http://legacy.esvbible.org/search/genesis+1/
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

BW wrote:
I would suggest the NASB or the NKJV bibles for a literal English from the the original languages translation.
I absolutely agree here... these two IMO are the best formal (word by word translations). However, i also agree with those who say get another, a dynamic EQ. that interprets by "intent of the passage" or "thought expressed". For this style, which for me is an awful lot easier to read, is the New Jerusalem Bible.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

I like the NIV best on the whole - a good all-round version - easy to read but not too loosely translated I think. I like the Contemporary English Version for a change though, and the New Living Translation.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

B. W. wrote:I would suggest the NASB or the NKJV bibles for a literal English from the the original languages translation. Another from a more expanded paraphrased translation would the be the NLT.

It is best to use several but choose one that is easiest for you to understand to daily read from. The others, use for study and comparisons.
-
-
-
I also like the NKJV and the NASB too.I think I'm just more used to the KJV,it just somehow became my go to bible.I really do not believe the KJV is hard to read especially the new testament,now in the old testament yes it can be harder to read,but not the NT.I also think it is the strongest worded bible too and the others although they use more modern english seem to give a tad weaker message.I see it as kindof a trade-off. I also like how the trinity is in the KJV too,although I'm pretty sure its in the NKJV too.I mean the trinity is in most all of them but alittle harder to realize,but it is definately in the KJV.Most of the newer english translations leave this verse out.1 John 5:7 "For there are three that bear record in heaven,the Father,the Word,and the Holy Ghost:and these three are one." = trinity,which the bible already teaches anyway so no debates about it not being in the greek manuscripts,its there,the bible teaches it anyway so it is not wrong.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by crochet1949 »

I started out as a young person with the KJV cause that's mostly all that was around in Iowa at that time. Later I discovered the NIV and loved it. Paragraph form and easier to read. Then one of our pastors introduced us to the NKJV. At first I thought he meant that he'd gotten a new KJV Bible for himself. But then he told us about the New KJ Bible that was available. I got one and really liked it. So the more recent years, I've gone between the older NIV and the NKJ. The pastor of the church I go to now uses NAS. There's also a NAS pew Bible available in church. But I mostly take my NKJ with me. Sometimes my NIV. I don't use a KJ Bible at all any more. Though that's what my husband uses. I find it interesting to compare wording.
Bluejay4
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Bluejay4 »

Well I've purchased a KJV and a Young Literal Translation, but I'll definitely look into all these suggestions.
“I fear no man. If you breathe oxygen, I do not fear you.” – Conor McGregor

"Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" - Psalms 27:1