There is no Hope without Jesus

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: There is no Hope without Jesus

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny, wondering if you watch much of YouTube, and if so whether you've heard Jordan Peterson talk? He has had discussions with Sam Harris and others, and besides the recent smearing certain media personalities have tried to do of him, is well liked by Atheists and Christians alike. I myself find him interesting, because he's not Christian, and yet clearly sees certain archetypes in the world, things deeply rooted in our consciousnessthat, that many religious or theists tend use as arguments for God. While not afraid to discuss God, that isn't where he stops, navigating through, around and past them in a very thought-provoking way.

Anyway, I don't know your thoughts on Shapiro, but Rubin had both on his show and covered some of this things mentioned here. I think you kind of know things aren't simple about many matters we discuss, to do with morality, consciousness and the like which are often thrown your way. Peterson however, has a way of talking about such matters, related matters, that I think is beneficial to both secular and Christian thinking alike on such matters. I've never seen someone as intriguing so thought to share for others to listen to in their spare time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRPDGEgaATU
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Your conscience is only based on what you believe to be true.
That is not what I asked Kenny, I asked what is the truth ABOUT your conscience.
Can you demonstrate that you have one? show me your conscience.
Show me you have thoughts.
Not the EFFECT of these things but these ACTUAL things.
Are you asking about the existence of my conscious? The conscious is a result of thoughts; and though are considered subjective (no actual existence by themselves) they are a result of the brain which is objective. Now if you are asking me to demonstrate my brains is capable of thoughts to include a conscious, what type of demonstration are you asking for?
Your brain is objective? how do you know that?
Before I answer your question; in order to make sure we're on the same page; how are you defining "objective"?
This is about how YOU are defining it.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
That is not what I asked Kenny, I asked what is the truth ABOUT your conscience.
Can you demonstrate that you have one? show me your conscience.
Show me you have thoughts.
Not the EFFECT of these things but these ACTUAL things.
Are you asking about the existence of my conscious? The conscious is a result of thoughts; and though are considered subjective (no actual existence by themselves) they are a result of the brain which is objective. Now if you are asking me to demonstrate my brains is capable of thoughts to include a conscious, what type of demonstration are you asking for?
Before I answer your question; in order to make sure we're on the same page; how are you defining "objective"?
I define objective as something that can be demonstrated as true. So you ask how do I know the existence of my brain is objective? Humans cannot live without a brain so the fact that I am alive demonstrates I have an existing brain.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I define objective as something that can be demonstrated as true. So you ask how do I know the existence of my brain is objective? Humans cannot live without a brain so the fact that I am alive demonstrates I have an existing brain.
Which of the definitions here, does your brain being objective, fit into. Just pick the number 1-10.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote: Your brain is objective? how do you know that?
Which of the definitions here, does your brain being objective, fit into. Just pick the number 1-10.
Okay; and just to be clear, we are actually discussing the existence of my brain being objective; not my brain itself being objective; just so there is clarity. With that said, I would say the closest would be #5 because the existence of my brain is based on fact; not interpretation or personal feelings.

K
RickD wrote
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote: Before I answer your question; in order to make sure we're on the same page; how are you defining "objective"?
Okay; and just to be clear, we are actually discussing the existence of my brain being objective; not my brain itself being objective; just so there is clarity. With that said, I would say the closest would be #5 because the existence of my brain is based on fact; not interpretation or personal feelings.

K
y:O2
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
So, you know that your brain is objective because you are alive and humans can't live without a brain?
How do you know you are alive?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote: Your brain is objective? how do you know that?
So, you know that your brain is objective because you are alive and humans can't live without a brain?
How do you know you are alive?
The same way everyone else knows; I know what it means to be alive, and it applies to myself. How do you determine that you are alive?
RickD wrote
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

So you have a brain because your brain tells you that you have one, is that what you are saying?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:So you have a brain because your brain tells you that you have one, is that what you are saying?
That's not what I said, but if you wanna go with that; I'd be okay with it.
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:So you have a brain because your brain tells you that you have one, is that what you are saying?
I used to think that my brain was the most important organ in my body, until I realized what was telling me that.
y:-?

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I used to think that my brain was the most important organ in my body, until I realized what was telling me that.
(LOL) Perhaps I'm a sucker; but I fall for anything my brain tells me.

K
RickD wrote
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
In which case, you really have no say right? It's all just your brain.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
In which case, you really have no say right? It's all just your brain.
I and my brain are one.

K
RickD wrote