The meaning of immaterial life

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Justhuman
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

The meaning of immaterial life

Post by Justhuman »

One aspect that keeps popping up is that according to some in a materialistic universe life has little or no meaning, or is useless. That in such a universe there cannot be love or empathy, for those are immaterial aspects of life. And since immaterial does not exist in a materialistic universe, love cannot exist.

But I wonder, isn't life in a Materialistic Universe so much more precious than in a theistic (God created) universe? Since in a materialistic universe there is no redemption, nor a soul or spirit that keeps on 'living', one has to do it with only this fleeting moment. Everyone has one chance to live his or her live. Take away that chance and that particular life is lost. No second chance.
Realizing that volatility makes each life intensely important and worth while to cherish and carress, more so than the partly immortal 'life' of the theistic universe.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: The meaning of immaterial life

Post by PaulSacramento »

Justhuman wrote:One aspect that keeps popping up is that according to some in a materialistic universe life has little or no meaning, or is useless. That in such a universe there cannot be love or empathy, for those are immaterial aspects of life. And since immaterial does not exist in a materialistic universe, love cannot exist.

But I wonder, isn't life in a Materialistic Universe so much more precious than in a theistic (God created) universe? Since in a materialistic universe there is no redemption, nor a soul or spirit that keeps on 'living', one has to do it with only this fleeting moment. Everyone has one chance to live his or her live. Take away that chance and that particular life is lost. No second chance.
Realizing that volatility makes each life intensely important and worth while to cherish and carress, more so than the partly immortal 'life' of the theistic universe.
I don't think it is a case of a materialist life has no meaning or no love, I think it is a case that IF YOU believe that life is just here by ONLY random chance and has no purpose other than existing that it can be hard to find real meaning and true love UNLESS you are exposed/brought up to believe in those things IN SPITE of a materialistic world view.
Justhuman
Established Member

Post by Justhuman »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Justhuman wrote:One aspect that keeps popping up is that according to some in a materialistic universe life has little or no meaning, or is useless. That in such a universe there cannot be love or empathy, for those are immaterial aspects of life. And since immaterial does not exist in a materialistic universe, love cannot exist.

I don't think it is a case of a materialist life has no meaning or no love, I think it is a case that IF YOU believe that life is just here by ONLY random chance and has no purpose other than existing that it can be hard to find real meaning and true love UNLESS you are exposed/brought up to believe in those things IN SPITE of a materialistic world view.
That's a lot of IF, ONLY, UNLESS. and SPITE.
With that kind of phrasing you are creating a VERY narrow margin for a SPECIFIC type of materialism belief. With such phrasing one can rule out most, if not any kind, of argumentation.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

What is "meaning", and by that I mean an "ultimate meaning"? What properties does ultimate meaning have? Once one understands and/or agrees about what ultimate meaning is, then whether particular worldviews have it can be more easily discussed.

I will say here, that it is largely agreed so far as I'm aware and read philosophically speaking, that there is no real ultimate meaning to be had for us if when God is removed from the picture, if their is no telos (i.e., end goal for us), if we all will die, if noone will be around to remember.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

You can keep telling yourself that if you think it'll help.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

I try to understand you.
Are you saying that in materialistic universe, there would be love? Because life is sacred?
Would someone even die for someone else (greatest love shown) in such a world?
Why? Isn't the life of the one, who is going to sacrify his life, sacred?
What is love in materialistic world? What it is?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

1over137 wrote:I try to understand you.
I know this wasn’t directed to me, but I will give my $0.02 worth.
1over137 wrote:Are you saying that in materialistic universe, there would be love?
Of course! Humans are material, and humans express love.
1over137 wrote:Because life is sacred?
Yes.
1over137 wrote:Would someone even die for someone else (greatest love shown) in such a world?
People have a long history of giving up their lives for others
1over137 wrote:Why? Isn't the life of the one, who is going to sacrify his life, sacred?
It doesn’t mean that their life isn’t sacred, it just means they chose to give their life to save another
1over137 wrote:What is love in materialistic world? What it is?
Love is pretty much the same whether one believes in a materialistic world or one believes in a world beyond materialism.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

What is the justification for life being sacred in a materialistic world view?
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Kenny wrote:People have a long history of giving up their lives for others
In our world. Prove it is materialistic.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:What is the justification for life being sacred in a materialistic world view?
People will have their own reasons for labeling something sacred; it will usually vary from person to person.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

1over137 wrote:
I cannot prove to your satisfaction. But hypothetically speaking; what is to prevent a person living in a materialist world from giving up their life from someone else?

Ken
RickD wrote
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
1over137 wrote:
I cannot prove to your satisfaction. But hypothetically speaking; what is to prevent a person living in a materialist world from giving up their life from someone else?
Nothing. What is love? I'm not sure something so qualitatively immaterial can be answered in a Materialist world.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Nothing. What is love? I'm not sure something so qualitatively immaterial can be answered in a Materialist world.
As long as there are people living in this "Materialist world" there will be answers.

K
RickD wrote
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
1over137 wrote:
As long as there are people living in this "Materialist world" there will be answers.
And what are people; what is a "person"? Oh, you mean those physical beings with consciousness who have a will, intentionality, can love and what-not. :lol: Sorry, I know that is probably lost on you and only amusing to myself.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:And what are people;
People are material beings who rule Earth.
Kurieuo wrote:what is a "person"?
Singular for people.
Kurieuo wrote:Oh, you mean those physical beings with consciousness who have a will, intentionality, can love and what-not. :lol:
Yes.
Kurieuo wrote:Sorry, I know that is probably lost on you and only amusing to myself.
Amusing to myself as well
RickD wrote