Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Nils
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

Post by Nils »

Nicki wrote:
Nils wrote:@Hortator
Nils wrote:s
Nils I mentioned you in the new users thread but you didnt come to your own party >=U
I have no idea of what you are talking about. Please explain.
as a side note we need a better way to @people when they get mentioned
Please explain

Nils
He mentioned you in the Please Introduce Yourself Here thread (in General etc. - where you can introduce yourself if you like) but you didn't know as you weren't being quoted or anything - hence the second remark :)
Thanks Nicki for the information. Now I also have to find out more about Skyrim and my namesake :esmile:
Nils
Nils

Post by Nils »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nils wrote:@Philip
Nils: my reason to be an atheist is not primarily related to Darwinism.
Then what IS your primary reason for your atheism?
Some years ago I wrote a three page long list of arguments for not believing in God. There were 24 different points grouped in three sections
1. There are no good arguments for a God
2. There is no need for a God
3. Contradictions in Christianity

Unfortunately I wrote it in Swedish but I can rewrite it in English if you want. However I think it is better to discuss that in a separate thread.
And I'm sure such arguments were quite innovative having never been previously raised or adequately responded to ever. :lol:

Maybe you can take up my old challenge in a post elsewhere, to put on the table the nature of reality as you see it and your justification for such. Otherwise, I'm inclined to think your disbelief in God is more attributed to some father issues or the like, similar to Nietzche, Freud, et al. :P
Kureiou, I am not sure of how to evaluate your comments. I am new on this forum so you don't know me and I don't know you. In a first contact I don't think irony, or what it is, is well placed especially when it is as aggressive as your final remark.

But never mind. I have spent several hours (too many, ask my wife) reading the thread you referred to. It is very interesting and I think that I have learnt more about the Christian way of reasoning than I learnt in earlier discussions in other forums. Generally, in discussions I have the goal that we shall understand each other and even if it is not possible to agree I think it is desirable to be able agree on where and perhaps why we don't agree.

If you are interested I can start such a debate but it will take a long time, partly because I don't have much time to spare so I can't reply swiftly, partly because the questions are difficult and perhaps most because the subject is huge.

Nils
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

Nils wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Some years ago I wrote a three page long list of arguments for not believing in God. There were 24 different points grouped in three sections

Unfortunately I wrote it in Swedish but I can rewrite it in English if you want. However I think it is better to discuss that in a separate thread.
And I'm sure such arguments were quite innovative having never been previously raised or adequately responded to ever. :lol:

Maybe you can take up my old challenge in a post elsewhere, to put on the table the nature of reality as you see it and your justification for such. Otherwise, I'm inclined to think your disbelief in God is more attributed to some father issues or the like, similar to Nietzche, Freud, et al. :P
Kureiou, I am not sure of how to evaluate your comments. I am new on this forum so you don't know me and I don't know you. In a first contact I don't think irony, or what it is, is well placed especially when it is as aggressive as your final remark.

But never mind. I have spent several hours (too many, ask my wife) reading the thread you referred to. It is very interesting and I think that I have learnt more about the Christian way of reasoning than I learnt in earlier discussions in other forums. Generally, in discussions I have the goal that we shall understand each other and even if it is not possible to agree I think it is desirable to be able agree on where and perhaps why we don't agree.

If you are interested I can start such a debate but it will take a long time, partly because I don't have much time to spare so I can't reply swiftly, partly because the questions are difficult and perhaps most because the subject is huge.

Nils
Speaking for myself (and I'm sure K would agree) it would be a refreshing change to have a discussion with someone new who can possibly offer a new perspective on the various topics. We are all busy and there's nothing wrong with taking our time but I would suggest that we take it one topic at a time. If I may suggest, take what you believe to be the strongest argument against theism and present that first (in a separate thread). I look forward to your contribution and to a fruitful discourse.

And welcome to the board! :mrgreen:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Nils

Post by Nils »

Byblos wrote:
Nils wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:

Nils
Speaking for myself (and I'm sure K would agree) it would be a refreshing change to have a discussion with someone new who can possibly offer a new perspective on the various topics. We are all busy and there's nothing wrong with taking our time but I would suggest that we take it one topic at a time. If I may suggest, take what you believe to be the strongest argument against theism and present that first (in a separate thread). I look forward to your contribution and to a fruitful discourse.

Thanks for your suggestions Byblos, but I am not sure that it's is a good idea to start with my best argument against theism. As I wrote above, I have lot of arguments but no one is a knock down argument. What persuades me is the totality of arguments, not any single argument so discussing only one argument will not be so interesting. Maybe I can come back to this.
Instead I think I will take up Kureiou's challenge above.
Nils
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

Nils wrote:
Byblos wrote:Speaking for myself (and I'm sure K would agree) it would be a refreshing change to have a discussion with someone new who can possibly offer a new perspective on the various topics. We are all busy and there's nothing wrong with taking our time but I would suggest that we take it one topic at a time. If I may suggest, take what you believe to be the strongest argument against theism and present that first (in a separate thread). I look forward to your contribution and to a fruitful discourse.

Thanks for your suggestions Byblos, but I am not sure that it's is a good idea to start with my best argument against theism. As I wrote above, I have lot of arguments but no one is a knock down argument. What persuades me is the totality of arguments, not any single argument so discussing only one argument will not be so interesting. Maybe I can come back to this.
Instead I think I will take up Kureiou's challenge above.
Nils
Whatever you're comfortable with is fine. And I wasn't suggesting to discuss only one topic but, rather, only one topic at a time. My brain ain't what it used to be, no concurrent processing, only sequential. :mrgreen:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.