"Atheism's universe"

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: "Atheism's universe"

Post by Audie »

Philip wrote:
Audie: Another depressing thing about how men really think:

Confronted with that their thinking can be upsetting or depressing to women..
do they apply insight, consider what might actually be wrong with how they are thinking?

No! Blame the women.
Cynical generalizations about genders aren't terribly helpful. Depressing to WHICH women? On what issue? Do all women think the same things on whatever issue we're referencing? Why always the us against them mentality? Why default to the whole gender war references over a disagreement or misunderstanding with the opposite sex? Maybe, in a particular incident, the woman's' thinking IS off kilter. Or maybe the man is just a clueless clod (sorry, Rick :pound: - but he does seem to get a lot of samwiches y:-? - supposedly y=; ).
Audie: (Does someone have a trumpet? Play " CHARGE" so phil will know to rush in and say I yam playing the victim card)
No, Audie, not whenever you truly ARE a victim. But if you tend to view yourself as a victim all of the time, you'll often wrongly interpret people through your "victim" lens - which is unfair and harmful to both you and others. Or if you are projecting past hurts upon people who are, in reality, nothing like those that have hurt you in the past and have no harmful intentions whatsoever - but when you are constantly suspicious that some new person might be the very much like that past person who has hurt you - well, again, that's destructive for a person - for ANY person to think like that, to be wary that people are constantly out to get you. Gender wars are so boring and silly. But being respectful and understanding - of course, we all should be so.
Phil, what I said was tongue in cheek, which has been the theme here.
Except for the part about you coming to the bugle call! :D

You might like to lay off the remote psychoanalysis. Honestly, you are not that good at it. It is not "victim lens' to notice and complain when you for one, wrongly interpret what I've said, and refuse to be corrected.

As to the last line, sure. And ask not for whom the bell doth toll.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Post by B. W. »

Audie wrote:
jenna wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:My goodness, you sound like my wife. :P
:pound:
Another depressing thing about how men really think:

do they apply insight, consider what might actually be wrong with how they are thinking?

No! Blame the women.

(Does someone have a trumpet? Play " CHARGE" so phil will know to rush in and
say I yam playing the victim card )
No you are playing the woman card :lol:

I learned long time ago not to play cards with my wife...

She distracts me with her mesmerizing speech so much so I get lost following what she says and have know idea when she change topics from how the living room needs look like to when it is about auntie May's teeth needing pulled and all points in between.

I am still on the subject of the Living Room and cannot understand why the the coach needs to be remove, pulled... and answer accordingly...about the living room...

Accused of not listening when I am... then

:fryingpan:

Another interesting thing about how women really think:

Confronted with that their thinking can be upsetting or confusing to men..

...do they apply insight, consider what might actually be wrong with how they are communicating - thinking?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

B. W. wrote:
Audie wrote:
jenna wrote:

No! Blame the women.

She distracts me with her mesmerizing speech so much so I get lost following what she says and have know idea when she change topics from how the living room needs look like to when it is about auntie May's teeth needing pulled and all points in between.

I am still on the subject of the Living Room and cannot understand why the the coach needs to be remove, pulled... and answer accordingly...about the living room...

...do they apply insight, consider what might actually be wrong with how they are communicating - thinking?
-
-
-
Did you ever listen to / attend a performance of "My Fair Lady"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doz5w2W-jAY
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

B. W. wrote:
Audie wrote:
jenna wrote:

No! Blame the women.

-
-
-
This happens all the time with me, where talking about 'a' then topic becomes about 'b' without any transition being communicated.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
B. W. wrote:
Audie wrote:
jenna wrote:

No! Blame the women.

-
-
-
This happens all the time with me, where talking about 'a' then topic becomes about 'b' without any transition being communicated.
OMG, me too! Are you sure your wife and my wife aren't sisters? It's difficult enough for us men to listen. But then when they change the subject out of nowhere, what's a man to do?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
B. W. wrote:
Audie wrote:
jenna wrote: :pound:

No! Blame the women.

-
-
-
OMG, me too! Are you sure your wife and my wife aren't sisters? It's difficult enough for us men to listen. But then when they change the subject out of nowhere, what's a man to do?

Seriously? You dont know?

Say you are sorry, but show it by buying her a Hermes. Maybe a Chanel.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
B. W. wrote:
Audie wrote:

No! Blame the women.

-
-
-

Say I'm sorry?!?!?!

Men don't apologize. :shakehead:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
B. W. wrote:

-
-
-

Say I'm sorry?!?!?!

Men don't apologize. :shakehead:
The Hermes will say it for you.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote: OMG, me too! Are you sure your wife and my wife aren't sisters? It's difficult enough for us men to listen. But then when they change the subject out of nowhere, what's a man to do?
I know right? Sometimess to keep her on track I ask her for the main point she wished to say at the start. Then she starts off trying to give the setting and like, and I tell her no, I'm not going to follow, just the main point please and let me ask questions if I don't understand.
When I visit my brother tho, its like like we can communicate with grunts and the like. Minimal words. So much easier, no headaches trying to follow. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Wow! Sounds like this thread should have been called "The Female Universe"

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kenny wrote:Wow! Sounds like this thread should have been called "The Female Universe"

Ken

Considering the dumb concept of 'atheism's universe", and the matching inane
chart, it is not really surprising the thread would drift away from the attempt at a topic.

Observing the guys' attempts to understand or characterize how women "really think" is much more entertaining, tho no better connected to reality.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
RickD wrote: OMG, me too! Are you sure your wife and my wife aren't sisters? It's difficult enough for us men to listen. But then when they change the subject out of nowhere, what's a man to do?
I know right? Sometimess to keep her on track I ask her for the main point she wished to say at the start. Then she starts off trying to give the setting and like, and I tell her no, I'm not going to follow, just the main point please and let me ask questions if I don't understand.
When I visit my brother tho, its like like we can communicate with grunts and the like. Minimal words. So much easier, no headaches trying to follow. :P
We dont change the subject! Makes me crazy to hear
"Can we just do one subject at a time?" IT IS ALL ONE SUBJECT!!

I think this that-someone sent it to me the other day-may help you understand why it is like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XjUFYxSxDk
Obi
Newbie Member

Post by Obi »

I would like to reply. The one part of that progression that I've always struggled with is the very first part - how did it all start? From there, the more I learn, the more that progression (including the ordered universe) all makes such perfect, beautiful sense to me. But that first part bends my mind. If there was noting, how could there then be something? But to me, that would include God as well. The question What was before something/time is the same as what was before God. Put another way, to believe God has always been there equates to something always being there. I like to hear people's explanations of that.

As to what is wrong with the chart - the only thin I see "wrong" is that whoever made the chart seems to have made it with the intent of showing that anyone who agrees with the shown progression is obviously delusional, using statements such as "for some reason non-theist evolution begins without any assistance whatsoever". That statement is a straw man argument. As I assume the chart was made by a Christian, what I ultimately see wrong with the chart is that a Christian should not act in such a devious way. A Christian shouldn't mock or distort someone else's view, but be compassionate and take that view very seriously, and simply reiterate their belief and pray for the other person to see things their way.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Obi wrote:I would like to reply. The one part of that progression that I've always struggled with is the very first part - how did it all start? From there, the more I learn, the more that progression (including the ordered universe) all makes such perfect, beautiful sense to me. But that first part bends my mind. If there was noting, how could there then be something? But to me, that would include God as well. The question What was before something/time is the same as what was before God. Put another way, to believe God has always been there equates to something always being there. I like to hear people's explanations of that.

As to what is wrong with the chart - the only thin I see "wrong" is that whoever made the chart seems to have made it with the intent of showing that anyone who agrees with the shown progression is obviously delusional, using statements such as "for some reason non-theist evolution begins without any assistance whatsoever". That statement is a straw man argument. As I assume the chart was made by a Christian, what I ultimately see wrong with the chart is that a Christian should not act in such a devious way. A Christian shouldn't mock or distort someone else's view, but be compassionate and take that view very seriously, and simply reiterate their belief and pray for the other person to see things their way.
I think God was and is the uncaused cause-a cause that started everything else. As you described, and I agree, the universe seems to be ordered, heck even cells are complex, being compared to a Boeing 707. So it would seem that an intelligent being would've kickstarted everything else.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Obi wrote: If there was noting, how could there then be something? But to me, that would include God as well. The question What was before something/time is the same as what was before God. Put another way, to believe God has always been there equates to something always being there.
Excellent points. And welcome to the forum.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".