When it comes to science...

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

When it comes to science...

Post by Nessa »

Do you think a Scientist who is a Christian....

Is at a disadvantage?
Less intelligent?
Has more bias than a non Christian Scientist?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: When it comes to science...

Post by Kurieuo »

Of course on all three accounts.
They'll keep coming up with goddidit answers.
There's no major discoveries by, no intelligent scientists who have ever be Christian.
Christianity is just incompatible with Science, unless you're happy with goddidit responses.

:wave:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:Do you think a Scientist who is a Christian....

Is at a disadvantage?
Absolute disadvantage. Christians create God so they don't have to deal with reality.

Less intelligent?
Absolutely. They surveyed 1000 atheists, and the overwhelming majority said that Christians aren't as smart as the purely scientific minded naturalists.

Everyone knows Christians are biased creatards. Christians can't look at anything objectively. Stupid Christians just use the God of the gaps argument, because they're too stupid to come up with the correct answer.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Is at a disadvantage? - I don't know. I doubt it.
Less intelligent? - I don't know. I doubt it.
Has more bias than a non Christian Scientist? - Not typically, but I suppose it could happen. For example, if you're a YEC paleontologist your beliefs are going to interfere with your ability to look at your data impartially. I doubt that kind of conflict comes up much, though.

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

edwardmurphy wrote:

Has more bias than a non Christian Scientist? - Not typically, but I suppose it could happen. For example, if you're a YEC paleontologist your beliefs are going to interfere with your ability to look at your data impartially. I doubt that kind of conflict comes up much, though.

I appreciate you giving your thoughts.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
edwardmurphy wrote:

What about my well thought out response?

How rude!!!! y[-( y=;
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
edwardmurphy wrote:

What about my well thought out response?

How rude!!!! y[-( y=;
Seems like you already gotta 'like' for your well thought out response...

Don't wanna go giving you a big head :P
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

Just Maybe -- Scientists who are Christians simply don't go tootin their horns about it. I looked it up once and found that Lots of famous scientists / an astronaut or two Are Christians.
It's Almost , like, if a person Doesn't believe in evolution, they must have a screw loose Somewhere. That they aren't smart enough to be Real , Top-notch scientists.
That attitude just erks me a bit.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:Just Maybe -- Scientists who are Christians simply don't go tootin their horns about it. I looked it up once and found that Lots of famous scientists / an astronaut or two Are Christians.
It's Almost , like, if a person Doesn't believe in evolution, they must have a screw loose Somewhere. That they aren't smart enough to be Real , Top-notch scientists.
That attitude just erks me a bit.
Having been around scientists all my life, a good many of whom are Christians, I dont find this to be an accurate assessment. I'd say the great majority of Christians / scientist have no problem accepting ToE as valid.

It is a very small percent of scientists who do not accept ToE, and probably every one who does not feels they must reject it for reasons related to their interpretation of the bible.

A person can do excellent work as a researcher in other fields, nothing about a belief in bigfoot or flying saucers need interrupt their cancer research.

If as may be the case, scientists who dont accept ToE are kind of quiet about it, that is understandable.

Scientists do like to speculate, sometimes getting pretty wild with their imagination. It is party of how science progresses.

They do NOT like to commit themselves, professionally, to something they cannot support with any sort of facts. THAT is why a scientist who disbelieves evolution will tend to be quiet about it. He has zero facts to go with his opinion.

The attitude that you say irks you would be, probably, impossible to find in real life.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Is at a disadvantage?
Less intelligent?
no
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

There is something odd about this thread. Like people have changed sides or something in answering Nessa's questions. Rick, I bet if we came out and said the opposite to what we did, that Ed and Audie would have also had opposite responses. :P
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

crochet1949 wrote:It's Almost , like, if a person Doesn't believe in evolution, they must have a screw loose Somewhere.
That they aren't smart enough to be Real , Top-notch scientists.
It's one thing to say that evolution is obviously true, while simultaneously believing that it's part of God's design for the Universe. I don't believe that, but I wouldn't be dismissive of someone who did. It's something else entirely to believe that the Universe is 6,000 years old and evolution is a hoax. That's an irrational position that favors a religious interpretation over massive scientific evidence to the contrary. That's not going to keep someone from competently researching the heart, nanotechnology, or some other field that has nothing to do with the origins of life or the Universe, but there are fields of study where belief in YEC is definitely going to interfere with a person's objectivity.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:There is something odd about this thread. Like people have changed sides or something in answering Nessa's questions. Rick, I bet if we came out and said the opposite to what we did, that Ed and Audie would have also had opposite responses. :P
No, I have really changed sides. I'm just tired of all these stupid Christians. They're all a bunch of pie in the sky morons.

They need to get a grasp of reality.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:There is something odd about this thread. Like people have changed sides or something in answering Nessa's questions. Rick, I bet if we came out and said the opposite to what we did, that Ed and Audie would have also had opposite responses. :P
No, I have really changed sides. I'm just tired of all these stupid Christians. They're all a bunch of pie in the sky morons.

They need to get a grasp of reality.
I knew you weren't a true Christian!
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Try it. I didnt change sides yet, not likely to.