Is Atheism a Belief System?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Is Atheism a Belief System?

Post by Nessa »

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

Post by RickD »

Good find Nessa.

But instead of dealing with the link, I think I'll take my ball and go home. :greedy:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

Thanks for the article. It was written by Andy Bannister. I have his recent book, 'The Atheist Who Didn't Exist: Or The Dreadful Consequences of Bad Arguments'. I really liked the book and it is funny.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

I didn’t have the patience to go through the entire link, but I did get through the first section thus I will comment on the part I read.

His friend that claims Sweden doesn’t exist is making a claim. If he is trying to convince someone other than himself of this claim he needs to provide evidence to support his claim, because the burden of proof is on the person making the claim.
The same could be said of an Atheist; if he goes around telling people God does not exist, he is making a claim thus if he expects to convince someone else, he needs to provide evidence to support his claim.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kenny wrote:
I didn’t have the patience to go through the entire link, but I did get through the first section thus I will comment on the part I read.

His friend that claims Sweden doesn’t exist is making a claim. If he is trying to convince someone other than himself of this claim he needs to provide evidence to support his claim, because the burden of proof is on the person making the claim.
The same could be said of an Atheist; if he goes around telling people God does not exist, he is making a claim thus if he expects to convince someone else, he needs to provide evidence to support his claim.

Ken
If someone makes a claim does that mean they have a belief?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Obviously he is going to believe what he is claiming; so yes.

Ken
RickD wrote
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken

Ken
So when an atheist makes any sort of claim about God, then would you say an atheist has a belief?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken

Ken
So when an atheist makes any sort of claim about God, then would you say an atheist has a belief?
Everybody has a belief about one issue or another, but yes; when an atheist makes a claim about God, that is a belief.

Ken
RickD wrote
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken

Ken
Everybody has a belief about one issue or another, but yes; when an atheist makes a claim about God, that is a belief.

Ken
So would you say, Dawkins, for instance who makes many claims about God, has a belief system?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Ken

Ken
So would you say, Dawkins, for instance who makes many claims about God, has a belief system?
Believe it or not; I know very little about Dawkins, or other (so called) prominent Atheists. I suspect most christians know much more about him than I because for me he is a non issue. I can't comment on what he might believe or say, but I would say it is probably possible for someone to make atheism a belief system.

Ken
RickD wrote
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken

Ken
Believe it or not; I know very little about Dawkins, or other (so called) prominent Atheists. I suspect most christians know much more about him than I because for me he is a non issue. I can't comment on what he might believe or say, but I would say it is probably possible for someone to make atheism a belief system.

Ken
So you dont think atheism is necessarily a belief system though it's possible for someone to make it one?

Would you say you had a belief system about God?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Ken

Ken
So you dont think atheism is necessarily a belief system though it's possible for someone to make it one?

Would you say you had a belief system about God?
Not sure if my opinion on issues (beliefs) could be considered a "belief system" but if is it; it definitely doesn't involve God

Ken
RickD wrote
crackpot
Familiar Member

Post by crackpot »

I didn't read the link because I don't need to. Here is the answer to the question in the title:

A: For a few atheists, their atheism is built around beliefs. Many of these beliefs are grounded in pseudoscience and fueled by anger, vanity or other negative emotions. That's why many of the atheists who post on forums seem angry and use vulgar language. You'll also find they had various serious difficulties while growing up.

Most atheists just don't think about why they are atheists and these will share in the foolish beliefs of society at large. Karma comes immediately to mind for some reason...
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa, who are you talking to in your posts?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:Nessa, who are you talking to in your posts?
Kenny