Do you believe in karma?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.

Do you believe in karma?

Yes
3
27%
No
8
73%
 
Total votes: 11

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 8353
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Do you believe in karma?

Postby Kurieuo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:07 am

Just thought this would be an interesting question to ask.
Interested in responses from non-believers, but of course Christians can respond as well.

If you respond, please let us know your answer and why you do believe or don't believe in karma.

    karma
    noun
    the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
    • informal
      good or bad luck, viewed as resulting from one's actions.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 17145
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Living in Parricide just north of Jacob's bosom

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby RickD » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:19 am

K,

Since I know how much you enjoy it when ACB links songs, this is for you:
http://youtu.be/JmcA9LIIXWw
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Hortator
Valued Member
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 5:00 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ohio

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby Hortator » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:32 am

Nope.

You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get.

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3474
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby Audie » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:24 am

Hortator wrote:Nope.

You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get.


Sigh, I had to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7leQB_Oe_k

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3474
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby Audie » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:26 am

Here is what Krik has coming to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7zrMzVNYwo

User avatar
edwardmurphy
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1092
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby edwardmurphy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:43 pm

I said yes, even though I really don't. I think that "karma" is real in the sense that my actions determine how I feel about myself, which influences how I behave and what kind of vibes* I give off, which influences how people respond to me, and so forth in a big loop. So yeah, I know that's not what karma means, but I've always used that word as convenient shorthand for that paragraph.





* By which I mean body language, posture, facial expressions, and all of my unconscious social cues that other people unconsciously pick up on and which have a big impact of their impressions of me.
If you're accustomed to privilege equality may feel like oppression.

Something for us all to consider. (Thanks, Paul)

Individual, silent, personal prayer never has and never could be outlawed in public schools. - FFRF

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 8353
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby Kurieuo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:11 pm

edwardmurphy wrote:I said yes, even though I really don't. I think that "karma" is real in the sense that my actions determine how I feel about myself, which influences how I behave and what kind of vibes* I give off, which influences how people respond to me, and so forth in a big loop. So yeah, I know that's not what karma means, but I've always used that word as convenient shorthand for that paragraph.





* By which I mean body language, posture, facial expressions, and all of my unconscious social cues that other people unconsciously pick up on and which have a big impact of their impressions of me.

Thank you for answering my question seriously.

Interesting explanation. It's quite true isn't it that if we do good, we often feel good about ourselves. Do bad, we tend to distance ourselves, try to justify and defend our actions, feel miserable and guilty or the like.

Something I've noticed is that it doesn't matter what a person believes re: God, people seems to acknowledge as a general rule that good normally comes back around to us, and bad eventually comes back to us bite us on the bum. As a general rule, not strict hard and fast rule.

I mean we even become frustrated when we see karma fail to work out, like "it's just not fair!" Right? We have this sense that things ought to be fair, perhaps that is where the idea of karma comes from? The deep down sense of fairness.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

coldblood
Recognized Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 12:07 pm
Christian: Yes

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby coldblood » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:05 pm

Can a person’s actions in this life have any effect on their future existence?
What is the Christian view?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2356
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:31 pm

Kurieuo wrote:Just thought this would be an interesting question to ask.
Interested in responses from non-believers, but of course Christians can respond as well.

If you respond, please let us know your answer and why you do believe or don't believe in karma.

    karma
    noun
    the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
    • informal
      good or bad luck, viewed as resulting from one's actions.

No; I've seen too many examples where Karma appears non existent.

Ken

crackpot
Familiar Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:15 am
Christian: No

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby crackpot » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:37 am

coldblood wrote:Can a person’s actions in this life have any effect on their future existence?
What is the Christian view?


Karma belongs to the silly religions of India and points East. A Christian who thinks karma is real is seriously confused in his faith. An atheist who thinks karma is real is also confused in his faith not thinking logically.

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2356
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:44 am

crackpot wrote:
coldblood wrote:Can a person’s actions in this life have any effect on their future existence?
What is the Christian view?


Karma belongs to the silly religions of India and points East. A Christian who thinks karma is real is seriously confused in his faith. An atheist who thinks karma is real is also confused in his faith not thinking logically.

Just because something is logical, or illogical to you doesn't mean it will be that way for everybody.

Ken

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3474
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby Audie » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:29 am

crackpot wrote:
coldblood wrote:Can a person’s actions in this life have any effect on their future existence?
What is the Christian view?


Karma belongs to the silly religions of India and points East. A Christian who thinks karma is real is seriously confused in his faith. An atheist who thinks karma is real is also confused in his faith not thinking logically.



The implied negative of that "point east" thing?

Ksrma is about cause and effect.

I suppose it is you refer to Hinduism and Buddhism as, "silly"?

Both religions teach that you will reap what you're sowing.
Always good to keep that in mind, dont you think so?

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3474
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby Audie » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:49 am

Kenny wrote:
crackpot wrote:
coldblood wrote:Can a person’s actions in this life have any effect on their future existence?
What is the Christian view?


Karma belongs to the silly religions of India and points East. A Christian who thinks karma is real is seriously confused in his faith. An atheist who thinks karma is real is also confused in his faith not thinking logically.

Just because something is logical, or illogical to you doesn't mean it will be that way for everybody.

Ken


I've knosn a few Hindu grad students (silly wabbits) but dont know much of the faith.
Buddhism is observed in various ways, sometimes quite shallow.
Christianity, likewise.

There is deeply intellectual dimension to Buddhism that I am drawn to.
So far Im no more than the "Jack-Buddhist" that a boyfriend called me.
Some day soon, now that I am out of school, I plan to begin my studies.

Regarding logic, illogic, and faith, I find the requitement in Christianity, so perceived
at least by adherants, to uttrrly reject and deny logic, reason, and the most obvious
realities, favouring instead the vanity of inerrant reading with which they believe themselves gifted,
I find that to be appalling.

I could further characterize it, but there is nothing, zero, good to be said for it.

It would of course be illogical for an atheist to accept karma as something
affecting an afterlife, but then, as none do, it is silly to mention it.
As silly as suggesting that atheism is a faith.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 17145
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Living in Parricide just north of Jacob's bosom

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby RickD » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:17 am

audie wrote:
As silly as suggesting that atheism is a faith.


Still trying to convince yourself that atheism isn't a belief?

And you're supposed to be the rational one? y#-o
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Hortator
Valued Member
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 5:00 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ohio

Re: Do you believe in karma?

Postby Hortator » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:58 am

RickD wrote:
audie wrote:
As silly as suggesting that atheism is a faith.


Still trying to convince yourself that atheism isn't a belief?

And you're supposed to be the rational one? y#-o


I'd classify it as a world-view, because it's a way you view the world.


Return to “Questioning Non-belief”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests