What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Post by Kurieuo »

No, this isn't a "guess who" game, although in a way I suppose it is.

Who is this person who is "our self" that we refer to as "I"? What am I?

Is this "I" simply a large clump of cells which is our physical body, our thoughts merely atoms bouncing or energy buzzing around in a certain arrangement? If this is what I am, how can a clump of cells apart of some mechanical process have intentions to be this way or that -- how can such be a who?

Who is this self, this I, this person, who appears to supervene upon our body?
What is this ego that is in the driver seat of our bodies, receiving stimulus input of physical experiences and exerting power over the body we're bound to in order to take control, rise above and conquer environmental and physical difficulties?

What am I? Who am I? Two different questions on different sides of the same coin. Some say the who doesn't really exist, others say the what doesn't matter. It seems clear to me that both are important. Thoughts?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
Thoughts?
No such thing as thoughts. It's all random chemical reactions.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Sometimes I think I'm just this huge collection of energy and matter, that I am just another snippet of life, of awareness, that I'm no more than a gentle breeze but then I must be more.
What is this elusive bit of me that makes me, me?
How, and why, do I get to do this?
I get to experience all this, as me.

What am I? Who am I?
I am me. A child of God.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

I am a person who God created via my mother and father. He created me as a special, unique individual. And He created me with the ability to hear God's Word and to respond to That in a positive way. And I Have responded in a positive way -- and so I am Also a child of God.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

download (2).jpg
download (2).jpg (17.92 KiB) Viewed 4725 times
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

product of evolution (devil's advocate now)
maybe chimpanzees, dolphins wonder about some things as well.
and wait some time till AI will realize themselves :wave:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

A chimp is wondering what human is going to teach it something and the dolphin is thinking his next meal of fish. :lol:
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:No, this isn't a "guess who" game, although in a way I suppose it is.

Is this "I" simply a large clump of cells which is our physical body, our thoughts merely atoms bouncing or energy buzzing around in a certain arrangement? If this is what I am, how can a clump of cells apart of some mechanical process have intentions to be this way or that -- how can such be a who?

What is this ego that is in the driver seat of our bodies, receiving stimulus input of physical experiences and exerting power over the body we're bound to in order to take control, rise above and conquer environmental and physical difficulties?

What am I? Who am I? Two different questions on different sides of the same coin. Some say the who doesn't really exist, others say the what doesn't matter. It seems clear to me that both are important. Thoughts?
I think to suggest we are just a clump of cells or atoms bouncing around a certain arrangement is akin to suggesting an automobile is just a pile of steel, glass, and rubber. Everything is more than just it's ingredients.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:No, this isn't a "guess who" game, although in a way I suppose it is.

I think to suggest we are just a clump of cells or atoms bouncing around a certain arrangement is akin to suggesting an automobile is just a pile of steel, glass, and rubber. Everything is more than just it's ingredients.

Ken
Did Kenny just unknowingly admit that there is a "purpose" to us, just like automobiles have a purpose?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:A chimp is wondering what human is going to teach it something and the dolphin is thinking his next meal of fish. :lol:
Nobody teach them to use machetes, ok? No chimps with machetes.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Audie wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:A chimp is wondering what human is going to teach it something and the dolphin is thinking his next meal of fish. :lol:
Nobody teach them to use machetes, ok? No chimps with machetes.

Very good suggestion, Audie
MellyJae61595
Newbie Member

Post by MellyJae61595 »

I just don't fully understand how we got here. Science says one thing in the bible says another. Are these just opinions? We cannot really prove God put us here. But it's a lot of things you cannot prove you just have to trust in your instincts. Maybe we as people did evolve but where did the chimpanzees come from? Who made it? Who made God? Was religion just away to keep the people from going completely insane?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Did Kenny just unknowingly admit that there is a "purpose" to us, just like automobiles have a purpose?
I wonder as well, Rick
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

MellyJae61595 wrote:I just don't fully understand how we got here. Science says one thing in the bible says another. Are these just opinions? We cannot really prove God put us here. But it's a lot of things you cannot prove you just have to trust in your instincts. Maybe we as people did evolve but where did the chimpanzees come from? Who made it? Who made God? Was religion just away to keep the people from going completely insane?

Theory of evolution isbased on data, not opinion.

Chimps are not ancestral to humans.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
MellyJae61595 wrote:I just don't fully understand how we got here. Science says one thing in the bible says another. Are these just opinions? We cannot really prove God put us here. But it's a lot of things you cannot prove you just have to trust in your instincts. Maybe we as people did evolve but where did the chimpanzees come from? Who made it? Who made God? Was religion just away to keep the people from going completely insane?

Theory of evolution isbased on data, not opinion.

Chimps are not ancestral to humans.
Theory of Evolution is formed by a view or judgement of data. Which is another way of saying it's an opinion, FYI.

-Edward R Murrow