What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3474
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby Audie » Fri May 20, 2016 6:49 am

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
MellyJae61595 wrote:I just don't fully understand how we got here. Science says one thing in the bible says another. Are these just opinions? We cannot really prove God put us here. But it's a lot of things you cannot prove you just have to trust in your instincts. Maybe we as people did evolve but where did the chimpanzees come from? Who made it? Who made God? Was religion just away to keep the people from going completely insane?



Theory of evolution isbased on data, not opinion.

Chimps are not ancestral to humans.


Theory of Evolution is formed by a view or judgement of data. Which is another way of saying it's an opinion, FYI.


So it is just your opinion that the sun would be to hot to walk on. Or not; why not try it.

Why not, all opinions are of equal merit.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18042
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby RickD » Fri May 20, 2016 7:25 am

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
MellyJae61595 wrote:I just don't fully understand how we got here. Science says one thing in the bible says another. Are these just opinions? We cannot really prove God put us here. But it's a lot of things you cannot prove you just have to trust in your instincts. Maybe we as people did evolve but where did the chimpanzees come from? Who made it? Who made God? Was religion just away to keep the people from going completely insane?



Theory of evolution isbased on data, not opinion.

Chimps are not ancestral to humans.


Theory of Evolution is formed by a view or judgement of data. Which is another way of saying it's an opinion, FYI.


So it is just your opinion that the sun would be to hot to walk on. Or not; why not try it.

Why not, all opinions are of equal merit.

Opinion-
a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing


A certain scientist takes the evidence available, and forms an opinion about what the evidence shows. His opinion is that evolution best explains the evidence.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3474
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby Audie » Fri May 20, 2016 7:45 am

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
MellyJae61595 wrote:I just don't fully understand how we got here. Science says one thing in the bible says another. Are these just opinions? We cannot really prove God put us here. But it's a lot of things you cannot prove you just have to trust in your instincts. Maybe we as people did evolve but where did the chimpanzees come from? Who made it? Who made God? Was religion just away to keep the people from going completely insane?



Theory of evolution isbased on data, not opinion.

Chimps are not ancestral to humans.


Theory of Evolution is formed by a view or judgement of data. Which is another way of saying it's an opinion, FYI.


So it is just your opinion that the sun would be to hot to walk on. Or not; why not try it.

Why not, all opinions are of equal merit.

Opinion-
a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing


A certain scientist takes the evidence available, and forms an opinion about what the evidence shows. His opinion is that evolution best explains the evidence.


All opinions are of equal merit?

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18042
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby RickD » Fri May 20, 2016 7:55 am

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

Theory of evolution isbased on data, not opinion.

Chimps are not ancestral to humans.


Theory of Evolution is formed by a view or judgement of data. Which is another way of saying it's an opinion, FYI.


So it is just your opinion that the sun would be to hot to walk on. Or not; why not try it.

Why not, all opinions are of equal merit.

Opinion-
a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing


A certain scientist takes the evidence available, and forms an opinion about what the evidence shows. His opinion is that evolution best explains the evidence.


All opinions are of equal merit?

Of course not. But which ones are of more value is a subjective opinion.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3474
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby Audie » Fri May 20, 2016 8:11 am

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Theory of Evolution is formed by a view or judgement of data. Which is another way of saying it's an opinion, FYI.


So it is just your opinion that the sun would be to hot to walk on. Or not; why not try it.

Why not, all opinions are of equal merit.

Opinion-
a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing


A certain scientist takes the evidence available, and forms an opinion about what the evidence shows. His opinion is that evolution best explains the evidence.


All opinions are of equal merit?

Of course not. But which ones are of more value is a subjective opinion.


Till the space shuttle blows up.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18042
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby RickD » Fri May 20, 2016 8:31 am

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
So it is just your opinion that the sun would be to hot to walk on. Or not; why not try it.

Why not, all opinions are of equal merit.

Opinion-
a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing


A certain scientist takes the evidence available, and forms an opinion about what the evidence shows. His opinion is that evolution best explains the evidence.


All opinions are of equal merit?

Of course not. But which ones are of more value is a subjective opinion.


Till the space shuttle blows up.

Or the early Greeks found out that the earth actually revolves around the sun.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3474
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby Audie » Fri May 20, 2016 8:55 am

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:Opinion-


A certain scientist takes the evidence available, and forms an opinion about what the evidence shows. His opinion is that evolution best explains the evidence.


All opinions are of equal merit?

Of course not. But which ones are of more value is a subjective opinion.


Till the space shuttle blows up.

Or the early Greeks found out that the earth actually revolves around the sun.


That is subjective.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18042
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby RickD » Fri May 20, 2016 9:19 am

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
All opinions are of equal merit?

Of course not. But which ones are of more value is a subjective opinion.


Till the space shuttle blows up.

Or the early Greeks found out that the earth actually revolves around the sun.


That is subjective.

What's subjective? The early Greeks found out, or that the earth revolves around the sun?
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3474
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby Audie » Fri May 20, 2016 9:48 am

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:Of course not. But which ones are of more value is a subjective opinion.


Till the space shuttle blows up.

Or the early Greeks found out that the earth actually revolves around the sun.


That is subjective.

What's subjective? The early Greeks found out, or that the earth revolves around the sun?



How did they find out? Surely not thro' the dread and subjective expedient of
examining data and forming no (gasp) opinions.

In any case, they didnt find that out.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18042
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby RickD » Fri May 20, 2016 10:09 am

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
Till the space shuttle blows up.

Or the early Greeks found out that the earth actually revolves around the sun.


That is subjective.

What's subjective? The early Greeks found out, or that the earth revolves around the sun?



How did they find out? Surely not thro' the dread and subjective expedient of
examining data and forming no (gasp) opinions.

In any case, they didnt find that out.

Audie,

If you're not going to write in plain English, I can't understand what you're saying. I don't do well with cryptic language. Straightforward, simple English works best with my simple brain.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3474
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby Audie » Fri May 20, 2016 10:40 am

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:Or the early Greeks found out that the earth actually revolves around the sun.


That is subjective.

What's subjective? The early Greeks found out, or that the earth revolves around the sun?



How did they find out? Surely not thro' the dread and subjective expedient of
examining data and forming no (gasp) opinions.

In any case, they didnt find that out.

Audie,

If you're not going to write in plain English, I can't understand what you're saying. I don't do well with cryptic language. Straightforward, simple English works best with my simple brain.


Greeks. They no find out that the earth revolves around the sun.

You say this. Or the early Greeks found out that the earth actually revolves around the sun.


You wrong.

You apologize now?

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 5656
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby Byblos » Fri May 20, 2016 10:43 am

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
That is subjective.

What's subjective? The early Greeks found out, or that the earth revolves around the sun?



How did they find out? Surely not thro' the dread and subjective expedient of
examining data and forming no (gasp) opinions.

In any case, they didnt find that out.

Audie,

If you're not going to write in plain English, I can't understand what you're saying. I don't do well with cryptic language. Straightforward, simple English works best with my simple brain.


Greeks. They no find out that the earth revolves around the sun.

You say this. Or the early Greeks found out that the earth actually revolves around the sun.


You wrong.

You apologize now?


:pound:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18042
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby RickD » Fri May 20, 2016 10:47 am

Byblos wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:What's subjective? The early Greeks found out, or that the earth revolves around the sun?



How did they find out? Surely not thro' the dread and subjective expedient of
examining data and forming no (gasp) opinions.

In any case, they didnt find that out.

Audie,

If you're not going to write in plain English, I can't understand what you're saying. I don't do well with cryptic language. Straightforward, simple English works best with my simple brain.


Greeks. They no find out that the earth revolves around the sun.

You say this. Or the early Greeks found out that the earth actually revolves around the sun.


You wrong.

You apologize now?


:pound:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristarchus_of_Samos
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3474
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby Audie » Fri May 20, 2016 11:06 am

RickD wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

How did they find out? Surely not thro' the dread and subjective expedient of
examining data and forming no (gasp) opinions.

In any case, they didnt find that out.

Audie,

If you're not going to write in plain English, I can't understand what you're saying. I don't do well with cryptic language. Straightforward, simple English works best with my simple brain.


Greeks. They no find out that the earth revolves around the sun.

You say this. Or the early Greeks found out that the earth actually revolves around the sun.


You wrong.

You apologize now?


:pound:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristarchus_of_Samos


Ah,we play dueling websites!



http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/20 ... e_sun.html

But the Earth does not revolve around the Sun. At least, not exactly. Time to get pedantic. "Technically, what is going on is that the Earth, Sun and all the planets are orbiting around the center of mass of the solar system," writes Cathy Jordan, a Cornell University Ask an Astronomer contributor.Aug 5, 2014

http://zidbits.com/2011/09/the-earth-do ... t-the-sun/

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3474
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA

Re: What am "I"? Who am "I"?

Postby Audie » Fri May 20, 2016 11:09 am

Byblos wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:What's subjective? The early Greeks found out, or that the earth revolves around the sun?



How did they find out? Surely not thro' the dread and subjective expedient of
examining data and forming no (gasp) opinions.

In any case, they didnt find that out.

Audie,

If you're not going to write in plain English, I can't understand what you're saying. I don't do well with cryptic language. Straightforward, simple English works best with my simple brain.


Greeks. They no find out that the earth revolves around the sun.

You say this. Or the early Greeks found out that the earth actually revolves around the sun.


You wrong.

You apologize now?


:pound:


in ordinary English, what does that "pound' thing mean?


Return to “Questioning Non-belief”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests