Should I do as I please? y:-/

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Should I do as I please? y:-/

Post by Kurieuo »

Just a "simple" question for those who do not believe in God: Should I do as I please?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Should I do as I please? y:-/

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:Just a "simple" question for those who do not believe in God: Should I do as I please?
It depends on what you wish to do.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Just a "simple" question for those who do not believe in God: Should I do as I please?
Why does it depend upon what I wish to do?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Because you may want to do something I consider to be unfair

Ken
RickD wrote
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
What is unfair? I think the whole world is unfair!

Let's say I have a blacklist of people in my mind who've crossed me in one way or another that I'd like to off.
Then in the finale act, I'll just do myself in also as a kind of self-retribution for participating in it all.

Maybe you'd say, "No!" I should not do such. Beyond saying you disagree what then? Nothing.
Why shouldn't I do as I please, it's my life to do with as I please!
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Let's say I have a blacklist of people in my mind who've crossed me in one way or another that I'd like to off.
Then in the finale act, I'll just do myself in also as a kind of self-retribution for participating in it all.

Maybe you'd say, "No!" I should not do such. Beyond saying you disagree what then? Nothing.
If you and I disagree on what is fair, the best I could do is to get society involved and perhaps make my case to them in an effort to get a law passed on the issue. Of course you have the same option as well; whoever makes the best case wins.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote: It depends on what you wish to do.

If you and I disagree on what is fair, the best I could do is to get society involved and perhaps make my case to them in an effort to get a law passed on the issue. Of course you have the same option as well; whoever makes the best case wins.
Whoever makes the best case wins, really? :shock:

I'd say many have succeeded in doing what they please.
Take some mass shooting wherein the shooter didn't care about dying, or 9/11...

Do you seriously think you won against these with your "best case" to some social system they clearly didn't care an ounce for? y:-/ Perhaps you both won.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: Why does it depend upon what I wish to do?

Kurieuo wrote: Whoever makes the best case wins, really? :shock:
Yes! In this particular case, whoever succeeds in getting society to enact a law around what they feels is right wins.
Kurieuo wrote: I'd say many have succeeded in doing what they please.

Do you seriously think you won against these with your "best case" to some social system they clearly didn't care an ounce for? y:-/ Perhaps you both won.
Such a person on a suicide mission will probably kill lots of people, before he gets killed…..what’s your point?

Ken
RickD wrote
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: Why does it depend upon what I wish to do?

Yes! In this particular case, whoever succeeds in getting society to enact a law around what they feels is right wins.

Such a person on a suicide mission will probably kill lots of people, before he gets killed…..what’s your point?
No point, but "your winning" seems to be rather lackluster and a hollow victory.

Furthermore, I'm not sure I understand the reason why such "should not" have done as they pleased despite laws they evidently disagree with. After all, it's their life, not societies'.

The most I see you could say is such a person was a loser in the sense that they were a lost to society. But then, remove yourself from your shoes and place yourself in theirs -- as lost to society and vice-versa society being lost on them, should they not do as they please even if that involved killing lots of people and in their eyes making a lasting improvement upon the world?

You know, I've had one friend tell me the world would be much better if humans simply did not exist. No one polluting the world, no wars and massive evils committed, no this species and that species becoming extinct, no natural environments being corrupted and laid to waste. Is such thinking something that should not be had?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Why am I getting a feeling of Déjà vu? y:-?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote: Because you may want to do something I consider to be unfair

Kurieuo wrote: No point, but "your winning" seems to be rather lackluster and a hollow victory.
In this context “winning” is getting society to agree with what you feel is right. Humans are natural social creatures, so when you can get the backing of the society they have chosen to become a part of; to support their version of right vs wrong, they get to live in a social environment where their version of right is enforced by the law of society
Kurieuo wrote: Furthermore, I'm not sure I understand the reason why such "should not" have done as they pleased despite laws they evidently disagree with. After all, it's their life, not societies'.
If you choose to live by yourself; away from society, you can do whatever you want and suffer the consequences thereof.
Because the society of people will outnumber you, you must take their laws into consideration before doing as you please. My point only applies if you choose to live in a society of other people.
Kurieuo wrote: The most I see you could say is such a person was a loser in the sense that they were a lost to society. But then, remove yourself from your shoes and place yourself in theirs -- as lost to society and vice-versa society being lost on them, should they not do as they please even if that involved killing lots of people and in their eyes making a lasting improvement upon the world?
As I said before, if you live by yourself and stay away from other people, you can do what you want and suffer the consequences that may result.
Kurieuo wrote: You know, I've had one friend tell me the world would be much better if humans simply did not exist. No one polluting the world, no wars and massive evils committed, no this species and that species becoming extinct, no natural environments being corrupted and laid to waste. Is such thinking something that should not be had?
This is a huge planet with lots of deserted areas where people do not exist. Perhaps he could go to one of those places and live by himself

Ken
RickD wrote
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote: Because you may want to do something I consider to be unfair

Kurieuo wrote: No point, but "your winning" seems to be rather lackluster and a hollow victory.
In this context “winning” is getting society to agree with what you feel is right. Humans are natural social creatures, so when you can get the backing of the society they have chosen to become a part of; to support their version of right vs wrong, they get to live in a social environment where their version of right is enforced by the law of society
Yes, I can see how "society" agreeing means one is winning.

Sadly, in Southpark society you're the loser it seems in many episodes. But hey, at least our modern society wouldn't condone such violence against you, I don't think... maybe laugh, but not condone.
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: Furthermore, I'm not sure I understand the reason why such "should not" have done as they pleased despite laws they evidently disagree with. After all, it's their life, not societies'.
If you choose to live by yourself; away from society, you can do whatever you want and suffer the consequences thereof.
Because the society of people will outnumber you, you must take their laws into consideration before doing as you please. My point only applies if you choose to live in a society of other people.
Yes, tell that to those who suicide kill themselves. Don't you know they go straight to paradise? They got what they wanted for sacrificing their life. A "higher" society agreed with them if you will, just as meaningful as any finite human society which'll die out right?
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: The most I see you could say is such a person was a loser in the sense that they were a lost to society. But then, remove yourself from your shoes and place yourself in theirs -- as lost to society and vice-versa society being lost on them, should they not do as they please even if that involved killing lots of people and in their eyes making a lasting improvement upon the world?
As I said before, if you live by yourself and stay away from other people, you can do what you want and suffer the consequences that may result.
Bah, to someone who cares zero for the consequences that society might pay them, such matters little. It seems, you turned away from Christianity due to some fire and brimstone preaching, and yet you think you win due to whatever "fire and brimstone" society might serve up? You haven't strayed much from the Christianity you were brought up with Kenny.

You of all people should know, "threats" while incentive perhaps, makes no real difference.
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: You know, I've had one friend tell me the world would be much better if humans simply did not exist. No one polluting the world, no wars and massive evils committed, no this species and that species becoming extinct, no natural environments being corrupted and laid to waste. Is such thinking something that should not be had?
This is a huge planet with lots of deserted areas where people do not exist. Perhaps he could go to one of those places and live by himself
Perhaps a terrorist could go to a deserted area and live alone, but if he wants to die killing you, and he succeeds, then he wins regardless of what you or any one "society" says. Right? Well, at least you won because the law in society didn't agree with him killing you. You have that I suppose. :lol:

It's alright Kenny, no one would seriously enjoy killing you. y:-? Then again...

Sorry, now I'm beginning to understand why you feel acceptance by society is so important. y>:D<
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

As an addendum, while I'm playing with you Kenny in my last post, I appreciate you weighing in. I must say, I'm disappointed no other residential non-Christians here have taken up the question as yet.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:As an addendum, while I'm playing with you Kenny in my last post, I appreciate you weighing in. I must say, I'm disappointed no other residential non-Christians here have taken up the question as yet.
If it makes you feel better, I can pretend I'm atheist, and answer your question.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:As an addendum, while I'm playing with you Kenny in my last post, I appreciate you weighing in. I must say, I'm disappointed no other residential non-Christians here have taken up the question as yet.
If it makes you feel better, I can pretend I'm atheist, and answer your question.
You'd just be pretending eh? ;) ;) Feel free to answer, I'm feeling a bit disappointed more didn't respond. :esad: