Why I never became an atheist.

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Why I never became an atheist.

Post by Storyteller »

Audie wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Her testimony is amazingly, beautifully moving.

Audie.... if you love me at all.... read her testimony, please.
And Ken.
Who?
Click on ricks link, click on the link to her full testimony.

Im gonna read it again and explore the other links
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

What we have here is Scientism and it is like a religious belief,only not realized by those who adhere to it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Here's another link. This one's from everyone's favorite astrophysicist and pastor, Hugh Ross.

Astrophysics points to the God of the Bible.
After listening to the two hour audio, there will be a quiz. So please pay attention.

http://www.bethinking.org/is-there-a-cr ... -the-bible
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Nice dodge, Audie! You failed to answer my questions and then you brought up some irrelevant issue as a dodge. Then you put up the "he's not being nice to me" ploy. What I asked was entirely relevant to the question at hand. This is so typical. Asked about the parameters that ANY ultimate cause for the universe MUST entail, and you simply ignore it. How many times you act as if there are an infinite number of possibilities of what might be the Cause, and then you fail to acknowledge the difference between some huge speculated-upon number of POSSIBLE causes and the fact as to what the parameters that ANY of them MUST have - which are tiny few and impossible for the correct one (whichever out of the numerous ones speculated upon) to NOT have. So, play victim, ignore, dodge, bring up an irrelevant strawman - these are what you always do when put to direct, if inconvenient, questions. And, for the gazillionth time, these issues, questions and discussions are not personal, they aren't attacks, but you almost always act like they are, whenever you don't want to answer, or don't have a good response. Everyone here is on to these tactics.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: Here's another link. This one's from everyone's favorite astrophysicist and pastor, Hugh Ross.

After listening to the two hour audio, there will be a quiz. So please pay attention.

I love Hugh, but his problem is he sees science everywhere in Scripture - even where it wasn't meant as such. He needs some theology lessons. Problem is, I don't think I've ever seen RTB back up when they have put out some dubious stuff. Brilliant guy, but he's got to be careful about proof-texting things.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
Rick: Here's another link. This one's from everyone's favorite astrophysicist and pastor, Hugh Ross.

I love Hugh, but his problem is he sees science everywhere in Scripture - even where it wasn't meant as such. He needs some theology lessons. Problem is, I don't think I've ever seen RTB back up when they have put out some dubious stuff. Brilliant guy, but he's got to be careful about proof-texting things.
You're not supposed to insult the professor. After you listen to the audio, you will have a "special" quiz, reserved only for non-conformists.

All kidding aside, I just posted the link to show Kenny and anyone who is interested, that astrophysics points to the existence of God.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: All kidding aside, I just posted the link to show Kenny and anyone who is interested, that astrophysics points to the existence of God.
Yes, no doubt about it, Hugh has really opened a lot of eyes as to the fine-tuning of the universe and a whole lot more. So, slight criticisms of a brilliant guy with a lot of powerful scientific evidences for what is in the Bible! Hey, I'm no astrophysicist! :roll:

Hugh has powerfully shown how the universe has always been anything but random and chaotic, and that it was prepared to make life possible: http://www.reasons.org/articles/rtb-des ... ndium-2009
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

Byblos wrote:
Kenny wrote:So going back to my previous question, again; the "we" you were referring to is your fellow Christians, not the Scientists who spend their lives studying the Universe most of whom just so happen to be Atheist. Correct?
Kenny you do realize that one of the most prestigious astrophysics observatories in the world is located in the Vatican, don't you?
I wouldn't doubt it. As a matter of fact many scientific discoveries were made by Christians. But that doesn't mean most scientists are Christians.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

So going back to my previous question, again; the "we" you were referring to is your fellow Christians, not the Scientists who spend their lives studying the Universe most of whom just so happen to be Atheist. Correct?

Ken
Did you not understand anything I wrote ??
Come on man...
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
So going back to my previous question, again; the "we" you were referring to is your fellow Christians, not the Scientists who spend their lives studying the Universe most of whom just so happen to be Atheist. Correct?

Ken
Did you not understand anything I wrote ??
Come on man...
Yes I understood everything you said; I shall assume my initial assumptions were correct

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Why I never became an atheist? Here is I think my mom's all-time favorite gospel song that will explain. I tried to find the best version of this song I could find.I have heard better versions than this one,but I could'nt find it.My favorite version was sang by The Maharrey family gospel group when their dad sang it,but I could'nt find it.So this version will do.
The Lighthouse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNkDJE603IQ
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Which ever way you look at it, life, its a miracle.

Seems incredibly arrogant not to be grateful.
I can't grasp it being coincedental, chance.
Nothing is that random.

Life is precious, a gift.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Storyteller wrote:Which ever way you look at it, life, its a miracle.

Nothing is that random.

Is a waterfall "random"? Planned?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Audie wrote:

Nothing is that random.

The ultimate question is why there is motion at all.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Byblos wrote:
Audie wrote:

Nothing is that random.

The ultimate question is why there is motion at all.

I suppose so. Dr. Richsrd Feynman observed that if you knew all there is to know aboutva drop of water, you'd have the secrets of the universe.

Still , while we dont have that, much can be and has been learned about the properties
of water, tho we could have just stopped trying, preferring to seek ultimate answers.

But suppose someone actually did it! The Ultimate Answer!

Would that give you all the information about the chemical and physical properties
of water?

I actually did have a serious question about design / random.

Lets suppose water is designed; it is pretty amazing stuff.

Is there any level at all, in your mind, where "random" or "chance" plays a role
in the formation of a waterfall?