Top Ten Reasons I'm An Atheist

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Top Ten Reasons I'm An Atheist

Post by RickD »

Ok, I've been working on this for a while, so here's my top 10 reasons for being an atheist:

10) among the snooty science crowd, atheism is cooler than theism

9) atheism is simple. Theism requires one to pick a specific religion

8 ) atheism allows me to live my life as I please. I'm not responsible to anyone but myself

7) atheists are smarter than those dumb Christians

6) chicks dig atheists

5) Jesus from Nazareth is just some guy

4) atheism is making a comeback, like lava lamps and bellbottoms

3) everything is permissible. Subjective morality rules!

2) being atheist allows me to look down on ignorant creatards.

1) I can sleep in on Sunday
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

RickD wrote:Ok, I've been working on this for a while, so here's my top 10 reasons for being an atheist:

That's not my crowd so I wouldn't know.

Do you really think it's simpler to toss out the rule book and figure things out on your own?

8 ) atheism allows me to live my life as I please. I'm not responsible to anyone but myself
The vast majority of the people that I've known throughout my life have been Christians, and most of them have lived their lives as they pleased.

I don't know about smarter, but it's a fact that atheists tend to be better educated. I've known plenty of smart Christians, but its also true that some of the most ridiculous, stubborn, unreasonable dullards that I've ever met have been Christians. That's not a shot against Christianity as much as an observation that morons tend to look for someone to tell them what to think.

6) chicks dig atheists
Some do, but I don't recall that being typical. Pity.

I'm not buying any claims about his divinity, but hes hardly "just some guy."

Looks a lot more like a steady expansion than a comeback.

Maybe in theory, but in practice we still live under the rule of law and most of us aren't sociopaths.

Lots of Christians on this very board look down on ACB's Gap Theory nonsense, so...

Is church attendance even required?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Edward's responses to me in red. My responses back to him, in blue.
edwardmurphy wrote:
RickD wrote:Ok, I've been working on this for a while, so here's my top 10 reasons for being an atheist:

Then be gone you plebeian!

Do you really think it's simpler to toss out the rule book and figure things out on your own?
Of course it's easier! Protestantism alone, has 55 million denominations to choose from.

The vast majority of the people that I've known throughout my life have been Christians, and most of them have lived their lives as they pleased.
Yes they have. But Christians also know they are responsible to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I don't know about smarter, but it's a fact that atheists tend to be better educated. I've known plenty of smart Christians, but its also true that some of the most ridiculous, stubborn, unreasonable dullards that I've ever met have been Christians. That's not a shot against Christianity as much as an observation that morons tend to look for someone to tell them what to think.

you mean like democrats?

6) chicks dig atheists
Oh yes! Dumb blondes, especially dig atheists.

Sorry, I'm not buying that. If he's not God like he said, he's the craziest person to ever walk the earth.

Like U2?

Maybe in theory, but in practice we still live under the rule of law and most of us aren't sociopaths.
atheists aren't sociopaths. Got it!

Lots of Christians on this very board look down on ACB's Gap Theory nonsense, so...
Looking down on something is different than looking down on the person who said it. I like ACB, even though I'm not too fond of the Gap theory.

How dare you! Only real Christians go to church! Church and paying for the pastor's vacation home, are requirements for salvation.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:1) I can sleep in on Sunday
How dare you! Only real Christians go to church! Church and paying for the pastor's vacation home, are requirements for salvation.
:lol: He got you there hey Rick?
Oh hang on... :shock: y#-o
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

RickD wrote:Edward's responses to me in red. My responses back to him, in blue.
edwardmurphy wrote:

Then be gone you plebeian!
E=MC2?

Of course it's easier! Protestantism alone, has 55 million denominations to choose from.
Your parents should have already picked one for you by the time you're old enough to worry about it.

Yes they have. But Christians also know they are responsible to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Pastafarians aren't even responsible to the FSM...

you mean like democrats?
Some of them, although there seem to be a lot of dunces on the other side of the aisle. Case in point, they just chose Donald Trump as their nominee...

6) chicks dig atheists
Oh yes! Dumb blondes, especially dig atheists.
Pity I was 5 years married when you shared that tidbit...

Sorry, I'm not buying that. If he's not God like he said, he's the craziest person to ever walk the earth.
Please, he wouldn't even have been the craziest person in Jerusalem. There were prophets all over the place back then.

Like U2?
Betty White.

atheists aren't sociopaths. Got it!
Generally speaking. Never say never.

Looking down on something is different than looking down on the person who said it. I like ACB, even though I'm not too fond of the Gap theory.
I don't tend to look down on Creationists, but it can get to the point where it's tough to separate the stupid idea from the person insisting that it's valid in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Can't you just ask the pastor to send you a bill? Better yet, set up an auto-pay. That's easier and better for the environment.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote:
Some of them, although there seem to be a lot of dunces on the other side of the aisle. Case in point, they just chose Donald Trump as their nominee...
What's that called? It's on the tip of my tongue...oh yes, it's called sour grapes! :poke:

-Edward R Murrow

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

I could try a 'top ten reasons I'm Not an atheist' but I won't derail your thread. :D
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

I have only one reason, I simply don't have enough faith to be an atheist. :wave:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Vergil
Established Member

Post by Vergil »

Gentlemen, let's not derail the thread, it's called 'Top Ten Reasons I'm An Atheist'

We (Of the faith) can create a Thread called 'Top Ten Reasons I'm a Christian (Catholic)'
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

How about top 10 reasons why Chinese food gives me diarrhea?

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

The number one reason I'm not an Atheist is because I'd be forced via logic to deny an "I", an ego, a self, exists. That is, if I'm an Atheist and logically consistent with the physical natural world being all that there is, then I'd have to accept that there isn't really an "I" but rather an ensemble of particles bouncing around with chemical reactions and my identify is actually a mirage.

It's more sensible to embrace beliefs which allow me to logically accept as a minimum that I really do exist and make decisions. That much seems obvious to me without any logic whatsoever since I feel and experience things straight up and direct to myself.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:The number one reason I'm not an Atheist is because I'd be forced via logic to deny an "I", an ego, a self, exists. That is, if I'm an Atheist and logically consistent with the physical natural world being all that there is, then I'd have to accept that there isn't really an "I" but rather an ensemble of particles bouncing around with chemical reactions and my identify is actually a mirage.

It's more sensible to embrace beliefs which allow me to logically accept as a minimum that I really do exist and make decisions. That much seems obvious to me without any logic whatsoever since I feel and experience things straight up and direct to myself.
:offtopic: :sban:

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Ardy you must have been dining in the Walled City. What did you think would happen,
going there to eat?

It is all torn down now. You should be ok, avoid street food tho. At your age,
you must be very careful of your diet.
Last edited by Audie on Wed May 04, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:How about top 10 reasons why Chinese food gives me diarrhea?
What did you think was going to happen?

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/ ... r2=piv-web
Aha!! Using trickery I see! You can't fool me. That's Korean food, not Chinese. I know some people think all far eastern people look alike. But I know the subtle differences in looks, food, and culture. y[-(

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:How about top 10 reasons why Chinese food gives me diarrhea?
What did you think was going to happen?

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/ ... r2=piv-web
Aha!! Using trickery I see! You can't fool me. That's Korean food, not Chinese. I know some people think all far eastern people look alike. But I know the subtle differences in looks, food, and culture. y[-(
Bad link, I meant to show only one photo.