Top Ten Reasons I'm An Atheist

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Top Ten Reasons I'm An Atheist

Post by Nessa »

Not sure how many of you are familiar with the 'Dogma Debate' but here are David Smalley's top 10 reasons for being an atheist.

http://dogmadebate.com/uncategorized/20 ... m-atheist/

Atheists: What would be your top reasons for being an atheist?
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Top Ten Reasons I'm An Atheist

Post by Audie »

Nessa wrote:Not sure how many of you are familiar with the 'Dogma Debate' but here are David Smalley's top 10 reasons for being an atheist.

Well, as Popeye would put it, I yam what I yam.

I dont believe any of the stories about any of the gods, or lesser
spirits of which others believe.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Nessa wrote:Not sure how many of you are familiar with the 'Dogma Debate' but here are David Smalley's top 10 reasons for being an atheist.

Jesus made salvation too easy for anybody to reject it.He is assuming all religions are the same when there is no religion anything like what Christianity offers and to reject Jesus because you assume Christianity is like all the others and lump them all together is sad especially when there is absolutely no evidence atheism is true,it is not worth it to reject Jesus and what he offers for an opinion inwhich you have no evidence it is true.Even if he is lucky to live to a ripe old age that is but a speck of time compared to eternity and where he'll spend it.And if he thinks the suffering is bad in this world? He does not seem to realize what an eternity in hell would be like. That would be my response to him.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

abelcainsbrother wrote:Jesus made salvation too easy for anybody to reject it.He is assuming all religions are the same when there is no religion anything like what Christianity offers...
Atheists don't believe in gods. Without gods religions are just empty threats and meaningless promises, and in that respect they're all precisely the same.
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

11 isn't even a reason -- it's good he is aware of that, though.

Only useful ones I see are 6 and partly 1
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

edwardmurphy wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Jesus made salvation too easy for anybody to reject it.He is assuming all religions are the same when there is no religion anything like what Christianity offers...
Atheists don't believe in gods. Without gods religions are just empty threats and meaningless promises, and in that respect they're all precisely the same.
It is still not worth the risk to reject Jesus and what he offers to believe there is no God without any evidence.You have no way to know there is no God,eventhough you might believe there is no God.You have nothing to go on except your opinion there is no God. Now based on this since you have nothing to bring to the table when it comes to evidence there is no God,why would you even take the chance you might be wrong and Jesus exists,especially when he made salvation so easy compared to any other god? I mean yes,you can choose to take the risk you're wrong and then end up in hell for eternity but there is no reason to do it.Everyone of the sins you've committed could be forgiven right now,if you'd only ask and believe.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Vergil
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Vergil »

As like what Aristotle insist that a Man is a 'political animal' in nature.
I would like to also like say that Man might also be a 'Religious animal' in nature
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

abelcainsbrother wrote:It is still not worth the risk to reject Jesus and what he offers to believe there is no God without any evidence.You have no way to know there is no God,eventhough you might believe there is no God.You have nothing to go on except your opinion there is no God. Now based on this since you have nothing to bring to the table when it comes to evidence there is no God,why would you even take the chance you might be wrong and Jesus exists,especially when he made salvation so easy compared to any other god? I mean yes,you can choose to take the risk you're wrong and then end up in hell for eternity but there is no reason to do it.Everyone of the sins you've committed could be forgiven right now,if you'd only ask and believe.
I've never seen any evidence that gods exist, and I've seen all kinds of evidence that they don't. Granted, there can be no concrete proof on either side. You can't produce god - most likely because he doesn't exist - and I can't shine a light into every single corner where he might be lurking to prove that he isn't there. That's okay. I'm completely satisfied with my conclusion and with the evidence that got me there. The only risk I'm taking is that when tragedy inevitably strikes I'll have to face it without a placebo to cushion the blow. That sucks, but what can you do?

Also, Pascal's Wager is a crappy argument. The things that using it says about your beliefs and your image of god are kind of sad.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:It is still not worth the risk to reject Jesus and what he offers to believe there is no God without any evidence.You have no way to know there is no God,eventhough you might believe there is no God.You have nothing to go on except your opinion there is no God. Now based on this since you have nothing to bring to the table when it comes to evidence there is no God,why would you even take the chance you might be wrong and Jesus exists,especially when he made salvation so easy compared to any other god? I mean yes,you can choose to take the risk you're wrong and then end up in hell for eternity but there is no reason to do it.Everyone of the sins you've committed could be forgiven right now,if you'd only ask and believe.
I've never seen any evidence that gods exist, and I've seen all kinds of evidence that they don't. Granted, there can be no concrete proof on either side. You can't produce god - most likely because he doesn't exist - and I can't shine a light into every single corner where he might be lurking to prove that he isn't there. That's okay. I'm completely satisfied with my conclusion and with the evidence that got me there. The only risk I'm taking is that when tragedy inevitably strikes I'll have to face it without a placebo to cushion the blow. That sucks, but what can you do?

Also, Pascal's Wager is a crappy argument. The things that using it says about your beliefs and your image of god are kind of sad.
Edward,

Care to share the "all kinds of evidence" that God doesn't exist? We're not talking about gods. We're talking about God. Please share the evidence that God doesn't exist.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I have met very few intellectual atheist and by that I mean those that have indeed studied AND understood the various views on God.
The majority are agnostic.
The ones that are atheist because they intellectually ( not emotionally) do not believe there is enough evidence to suggest the possibility of a god ( or else they would be agnostic) have only 1 or two true intellectual reasons and NONE of them match with what is popularly posted on atheist forums.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

edwardmurphy wrote:

Pascal's wager has never really been refuted by atheists and it is just as effective as it always has been but especially when it comes to Christianity compared to all other religions and god's because none of them offer what Jesus does. It does not matter if you have'nt seen enough evidence for God it is still not wise to reject what Jesus offers when it is so easy than to wind up in hell for eternity because you rejected his offer without any evidence,just an opinion there is no God. Pascal was a gambling man and he knew all about odds if winning when you are gambling and atheists have nothing to bring to the table to hedge their bets with when it comes to evidence. If you're wrong,you'll go to hell for eternity because you refused to simply ask Jesus to forgive you and save you. If' I'm wrong? I don't go to hell I just die and that's it like atheists think.

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member