Atheists: What would you say?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Atheists: What would you say?

Post by Nessa »

What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

Post by B. W. »

Nessa wrote:What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Great pains to hide???

Wow arrogance can only only be spelled one way...

Thank you for posting this Nessa as it reveals objectively what hubris means
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Hubris? Is that the spread made from chickpeas, that people are putting on everything now?

Sabra hubris.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:Hubris? Is that the spread made from chickpeas, that people are putting on everything now?

Sabra hubris.

Chickpeas are a more worthwhile topic than yet more comments on this
"Dawkins".
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Now, who does not like Hummus?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:Hubris? Is that the spread made from chickpeas, that people are putting on everything now?

Sabra hubris.

Chickpeas are a more worthwhile topic than yet more comments on this
"Dawkins".
I know what you mean Audie. If I were a self-avowed atheist, I'd be embarrassed by Dawkins too. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Nessa wrote:What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

I find Dawkins response to be a rather good one. If I found out a life after death, and a being introduced himself to me as God, my response may be similar to his, but I wouldn’t assume any of the religions people recognize actually got it right. I wouldn’t assume he was either Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Vinishu, or any other God mankind has worshipped over the years, I wouldn’t assume he desired to be worshipped, I wouldn’t assume he wanted to be known by mankind, I wouldn’t assume he is perfect, righteous, or fair, and I wouldn’t assume all the other loaded terms people associate with God. I would then seek to find out who he is, what (if anything) he wants, and my reaction to him will depend on who this God turns out to be.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:

I find Dawkins response to be a rather good one. If I found out a life after death, and a being introduced himself to me as God, my response may be similar to his, but I wouldn’t assume any of the religions people recognize actually got it right. I wouldn’t assume he was either Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Vinishu, or any other God mankind has worshipped over the years, I wouldn’t assume he desired to be worshipped, I wouldn’t assume he wanted to be known by mankind, I wouldn’t assume he is perfect, righteous, or fair, and I wouldn’t assume all the other loaded terms people associate with God. I would then seek to find out who he is, what (if anything) he wants, and my reaction to him will depend on who this God turns out to be.

Ken
Then he wouldn't be God Kenny.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kenny wrote:

Ken
Thought this thread would bring you back ;)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
What if He said to you I am the God of the bible...the Christian God?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Wouldn't that depend upon how you define God?

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Don't tell me you miss ole obtuse Kenny! (LOL)

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Nessa wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
What if He said to you I am the God of the bible...the Christian God?
Then like Dawkins; I would probably ask why he remained hidden. I would then attempt to find out which (if any) of the various denominations got it right, and instead of getting the information from flawed people who write about God, I’d get my information from God himself.

Ken
RickD wrote
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Wouldn't that depend upon how you define God?

Ken

No Ken.
A god can depend on a definition but THE God must be certain things or else He is NOT God.

That is what most skeptics don't understand and why they tend to define God in a way that can be "refuted", BUT if you understand what God is then you realize that He can NOT NOT exist and He "must" be certain things such as all powerful and all knowing and all loving and all righteous and so forth.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kenny wrote: Don't tell me you miss ole obtuse Kenny! (LOL)

Ken
Actually I do think of you from time to time and hope one of my threads or someone else's will inspire you to post your thoughts :esmile: