Do you fear death?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Do you fear death?

Post by RickD »

This question is primarily for those here who consider themselves to be atheist or agnostic.

Do you fear your own death?

Do you fear the death of the ones you love?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
IceMobster
Christian: No

Re: Do you fear death?

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote:This question is primarily for those here who consider themselves to be atheist or agnostic.

Of course not.

Which is why I don't understand why people cry at funerals, especially if they are Christian. Concerning it is a high possibility (if (s)he was a Christian) the dead person is in heaven or is talking to God, I don't get it why would you be sad.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

RickD wrote:This question is primarily for those here who consider themselves to be atheist or agnostic.

Nope.
RickD wrote:Do you fear the death of the ones you love?
I don't fear it exactly, but yeah, it concerns me. I hate losing a loved one, and I know that if I live long enough (which is thankfully unlikely) I'll lose them all.

But ultimately it's irrelevant how I feel about it.
IceMobster wrote:Which is why I don't understand why people cry at funerals, especially if they are Christian. Concerning it is a high possibility (if (s)he was a Christian) the dead person is in heaven or is talking to God, I don't get it why would you be sad.
I can't decide if you're using a rhetorical device, or if you're incredibly obtuse. So which is it?
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

edwardmurphy wrote:
IceMobster wrote:Which is why I don't understand why people cry at funerals, especially if they are Christian. Concerning it is a high possibility (if (s)he was a Christian) the dead person is in heaven or is talking to God, I don't get it why would you be sad.
I can't decide if you're using a rhetorical device, or if you're incredibly obtuse. So which is it?
Well, that is just my view on the topic. I can understand that you don't see sense in my opinion. However, there is no need to call everyone who disagree with your point of view obtuse. Are you by any way related to Audie? She seems to be pretty salty, much like yourself, when it comes to insulting anyone who is not atheist/who disagrees.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ice: Which is why I don't understand why people cry at funerals, especially if they are Christian. Concerning it is a high possibility (if (s)he was a Christian) the dead person is in heaven or is talking to God, I don't get it why would you be sad.
For me, there are at least six reasons why I would mourn at a person's death: 1) If I know their is a probability that the person was not a Christian, will be punished and apart from God, forever; 2) Just the sense of missing them, that - at least for the rest of this life - I can no longer spend time with or talk to them; 3) Knowing the sense of loss in others, the families impacted, as well; 4) Often a humbleness that I was privileged to have known the deceased; 5) Realizing the many trials and tribulations, and the oft-difficult circumstances leading to death that the person and their loved ones endured; 6) For the death of non-Christians, often seeing the terrible things they likely could have avoided, had they lived a life of Godly values.

Even "Jesus wept."

Just to add: I was blessed to have been present to experience the very moment each of my parents died. My dad (14 years ago), soon after having been moved off of life support (he'd had a sudden heart attack, a day before). My mom (five years ago, after having suffered with Alzheimers for 16 years). One might think these to be terrible memories, seeing their last breaths. But, to me, experiencing these, also with my other (4) siblings present, this was an incredible, yet very emotional, thing. But most of the emotion came days later. Missing them was the hardest. But I was happy that they had both gone to their true home, as they were both Christians. In fact, they had much to do with why all of five of their kids are Christians, in how they taught and raised us. That's a very rare thing!
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Audie »

"Consider"?

When I was in great danger, thought I was going to be killed, there was fear, I suppose.
Mostly it was pain and adrenaline, survival mode. Like what people report if they are mauled by a besr, say.
Fear is what usually comes later, when it is hapoening, you dont feel fear.

Later, I stood on a balcony, looking down 17 floors to the sidewalk.
I was not afraid. I didnt step off, because I owed it to my Mom to stay alive.
What was to fear?

Why do you ask? You must have something in mind.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:

"Consider"?

When I was in great danger, thought I was going to be killed, there was fear, I suppose.
Mostly it was pain and adrenaline, survival mode. Like what people report if they are mauled by a besr, say.

What was to fear?

Yes Audie,

I can understand what you're saying about adrenaline. That's not the fear I'm talking about.

I was asking, because I was thinking about death yesterday. My son was thinking about his grandmother who died in 2014.

I was just curious about what other people thought, who really didn't believe in an afterlife. Some people who don't believe in an afterlife, think that people just go into "non existence" so to speak, when they die.

Just wonderin...
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

"Consider"?

What was to fear?

Yes Audie,

I can understand what you're saying about adrenaline. That's not the fear I'm talking about.

I was asking, because I was thinking about death yesterday. My son was thinking about his grandmother who died in 2014.

I was just curious about what other people thought, who really didn't believe in an afterlife. Some people who don't believe in an afterlife, think that people just go into "non existence" so to speak, when they die.

Just wonderin...

Fear it as in " what if I am wrong?"

There is a painting depicting Islamic hell, with women haning by their hair in eternal fire, punishnent for exposing their hair to men in public.

I do not fear that. If I am wrong, I will be very sorry

One may well dread death for myself or those they love.
It usually isnt very nice.
Loss of another is so painful.

Fear of what comes after? Billions of years came, and went before me,
they will do so without me.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:

Of course not.

Which is why I don't understand why people cry at funerals, especially if they are Christian. Concerning it is a high possibility (if (s)he was a Christian) the dead person is in heaven or is talking to God, I don't get it why would you be sad.
I hope this is sarcasm. Otherwise, well, nevermind. I just hope you're joking.

Only an uncaring dolt isn't sad when someone they love dies.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
Wrong about what?

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
Wrong about what?
I'd figure you obtuse, but not over 170 degrees.
Possibly less.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
Wrong about what?
Possibly less.
To my knowledge, you've never stated your belief about what happens when you die. So how am I supposed to know what you're wrong about if I don't know what you believe?

Annihilation?
Reincarnation?
Nothing non-physical exists, so we just rot?
Death is not real, nor is life?

Audie my dear, I don't want to assume what you believe, that's why I ask.

-Edward R Murrow

Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Another good question, but late.

Rich has created a brief, but poignant response to this question here,

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... death.html
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
Wrong about what?
Possibly less.
To my knowledge, you've never stated your belief about what happens when you die. So how am I supposed to know what you're wrong about if I don't know what you believe?

Annihilation?
Reincarnation?

I described a depiction of islamic hell, punishment for a sin i commit every day.

Then, "what if I am wrong". Why did you delete the context?

I dont, tho, think there is anything aftrr death.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
Wrong about what?
Possibly less.

Annihilation?
Reincarnation?

I described a depiction of islamic hell, punishment for a sin i commit every day.

Then, "what if I am wrong". Why did you delete the context?

I dont, tho, think there is anything aftrr death.
Oh ok. Forgive me. I didn't realize the context was the Islamic hell you mentioned. I thought you mentioned that in jest.

Thanks for clarifying that you don't think there's anything after death.

Kinda like, once the body dies, that's it? Do you believe the human soul/mind, dies when the body dies?

-Edward R Murrow