What is the point of life?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: What is the point of life?

Post by Philip »

Ken: "Because of the evolution of morality..."
:pound:
"...human life is more valued today than in any time in history."
:pound:

y:-?

:crying:
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

IceMobster wrote:What is the point in living if there is eternal nothingness afterwards? Note that I am not implying the: "If there is no God, everything is allowed." - it is irrelevant in this case.
Does it matter if you do this or that in this ~80 years of your life if you perish into nothingness after death?
If there was no God, I would kill myself right now, so, why don't you do it?
I've read somewhere that (from an atheist point of view) the purpose of life is to share the knowledge onto the next unit (being, probably the descendant), but what is the point in that? So they can do the same while your nous disappears as you die knowing their will, too?
Been thinking more on this...

Why should this question even arise in your thoughts?
Sometimes I think looking at the question itself is needed first before answering it.
Taking one step back
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

Nessa wrote:
IceMobster wrote:What is the point in living if there is eternal nothingness afterwards? Note that I am not implying the: "If there is no God, everything is allowed." - it is irrelevant in this case.
Does it matter if you do this or that in this ~80 years of your life if you perish into nothingness after death?
I've read somewhere that (from an atheist point of view) the purpose of life is to share the knowledge onto the next unit (being, probably the descendant), but what is the point in that? So they can do the same while your nous disappears as you die knowing their will, too?

Sometimes I think looking at the question itself is needed first before answering it.
Taking one step back
Because it is possible for a rational and intelligent animal to think such thoughts. I don't think it has any connection to God (if that is what you are after).
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

IceMobster wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Taking one step back
Because it is possible for a rational and intelligent animal to think such thoughts. I don't think it has any connection to God (if that is what you are after).
What do you consider a 'rational and intelligent' animal?
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Nessa wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Taking one step back
Humans obviously. :mrgreen:

Nessa, did something fall on your head while you were breaking things in your kitchen?
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

IceMobster wrote:
Nessa wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Taking one step back

Nessa, did something fall on your head while you were breaking things in your kitchen?
My finger slipped on the like button, such irony!

The blonde jokes are getting real old now :econfused:
Time to take a break from here.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Nessa wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Nessa wrote: Been thinking more on this...

Taking one step back

What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Why do blondes have TGIF on their shoes? Toes go in first!

Nessa, is this you? She's blonde, and the accent sounds like you.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n-zvXj86P0I
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Nessa wrote:
IceMobster wrote: Because it is possible for a rational and intelligent animal to think such thoughts. I don't think it has any connection to God (if that is what you are after).

Although my comment was rather over sensitive, I do often feel stereotyped as someone to teach and not to learn from. But really, if thats true, doesn't really matter at all.

Back to the topic at hand.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Nessa wrote: What do you consider a 'rational and intelligent' animal?

Although my comment was rather over sensitive, I do often feel stereotyped as someone to teach and not to learn from. But really, if thats true, doesn't really matter at all.

You? Over sensitive? Nah! :shock:

And FYI, we all learn from each other. I definitely don't see you as someone who I feel like I don't learn from. We all have our gifts and life experiences that we can use to help others.

Don't ever let anyone tell you you're not smart because you're blond. Or because you're a woman. Or because you're a kiwi. :pound:

As a matter of fact, you're the smartest blonde kiwi woman that I know! :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
IceMobster wrote: Humans obviously. :mrgreen:

You? Over sensitive? Nah! :shock:

And FYI, we all learn from each other. I definitely don't see you as someone who I feel like I don't learn from. We all have our gifts and life experiences that we can use to help others.

Don't ever let anyone tell you you're not smart because you're blond. Or because you're a woman. Or because you're a kiwi. :pound:

As a matter of fact, you're the smartest blonde kiwi woman that I know! :mrgreen:
y>:D<
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

IceMobster wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Taking one step back
I’m gonna have to go with Nessa on this one; your statements don’t seem very practical, and the answers to your questions appear elementary and obvious when you take a step back and look at what you are asking.

*What is the point in living if there is eternal nothingness afterwards?
(reply)
I think Audie made an excellent point about how we still enjoy summer even though we know winter is just around the corner. IOW; being temporary has never been a legitimate reason to not enjoy the here and now.

*Does it matter if you do this or that in this ~80 years of your life if you perish into nothingness after death?
(reply)
Heck yeah it matters; It matters here and now!

*If there was no God, I would kill myself right now, so, why don't you do it?
(reply)
No you wouldn’t; you would be convinced there was, and would continue living as you do now.

*I’ve read somewhere that (from an atheist point of view) the purpose of life is to share the knowledge onto the next unit (being, probably the descendant), but what is the point in that?
(reply)
Actually that is hardly an atheist point of view, many theists find purpose and value in life that way as well. Different people will find different things in life that gives them purpose.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Kenny wrote: *What is the point in living if there is eternal nothingness afterwards?
(reply)
I think Audie made an excellent point about how we still enjoy summer even though we know winter is just around the corner. IOW; being temporary has never been a legitimate reason to not enjoy the here and now.
Indeed but then you can enjoy yourself any way you want to, can you not? Also, will your non-spiritual hedonistic tendencies really bring up the best of you and make you fully happy?

*Does it matter if you do this or that in this ~80 years of your life if you perish into nothingness after death?
(reply)
Knowing that the eternal darkness awaits, no it does not matter.

No you wouldn’t; you would be convinced there was, and would continue living as you do now.
Great, now you know things about myself better than myself. :crying:

*I’ve read somewhere that (from an atheist point of view) the purpose of life is to share the knowledge onto the next unit (being, probably the descendant), but what is the point in that?
(reply)
Actually that is hardly an atheist point of view, many theists find purpose and value in life that way as well. Different people will find different things in life that gives them purpose.

Did you not state that there is no official atheist doctrine and that thoughts about certain things may extremely vary from atheist to atheist? I remember you saying that, idk where, but it is also logical, so yeah....
Therefore, what gives you the right to say that is hardly an atheist point of view?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote: *What is the point in living if there is eternal nothingness afterwards?
(reply)
Indeed but then you can enjoy yourself any way you want to, can you not? Also, will your non-spiritual hedonistic tendencies really bring up the best of you and make you fully happy?
My tendencies are not hedonistic, but I think the best of me is brought out by my ethics and moral desires.
IceMobster wrote: *Does it matter if you do this or that in this ~80 years of your life if you perish into nothingness after death?
(reply)
Knowing that the eternal darkness awaits, no it does not matter.

Great, now you know things about myself better than myself. :crying:
No, just pointing out the obvious; the fact that you are still alive makes it obvious to me.
IceMobster wrote: *I’ve read somewhere that (from an atheist point of view) the purpose of life is to share the knowledge onto the next unit (being, probably the descendant), but what is the point in that?
(reply)

Did you not state that there is no official atheist doctrine and that thoughts about certain things may extremely vary from atheist to atheist? I remember you saying that, idk where, but it is also logical, so yeah....
Therefore, what gives you the right to say that is hardly an atheist point of view?
Because atheists aren't the only ones who find purpose in life the way you described. I would even go on to say there are more theists who find purpose in life that way than atheists.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

I've read somewhere that (from an atheist point of view) the purpose of life is to share the knowledge onto the next unit (being, probably the descendant), but what is the point in that?

So they can do the same while your nous disappears as you die knowing their will, too?
Well, your grammar is off...
IceMobster wrote:If there was no God, I would kill myself right now, so, why don't you do it?
you should have properly phrased it as:
IceMobster wrote:If there was no God, I would kill myself right now, so, why don't I do it?
So what is stopping you, Ice?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

B. W. wrote:

I've read somewhere that (from an atheist point of view) the purpose of life is to share the knowledge onto the next unit (being, probably the descendant), but what is the point in that?

So they can do the same while your nous disappears as you die knowing their will, too?
Well, your grammar is off...
IceMobster wrote:If there was no God, I would kill myself right now, so, why don't you do it?
you should have properly phrased it as:
IceMobster wrote:If there was no God, I would kill myself right now, so, why don't I do it?
So what is stopping you, Ice?
-
-
-
Me firmly believing there is a God.
Now, the question is: if there is a God, why don't I kill myself?
to which I have no answer. I am probably too lazy to do it, lacking the will to do it or am afraid of suicide not being taken lightly in the eyes of God. Perhaps it is the lack of love in my life leading to me wanting to reunite with the Creator as soon as possible? Who knows....

My grammar is off only in the last sentence, right?
So they can do the same while your nous disappears as you die, knowing their will, too?
Eh, I do not know how to correct it. Do you still not understand?
Nessa wrote:Although my comment was rather over sensitive, I do often feel stereotyped as someone to teach and not to learn from. But really, if thats true, doesn't really matter at all.

Nessa wrote:The blonde jokes are getting real old now :econfused:
Alright, sorry for making the joke. :|
I get it, I sometimes tend to beat one joke a bit too much. Is that even a phrase, uh...?