Alright, i got a good question.

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
JurassicTerrorist
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Alright, i got a good question.

Post by JurassicTerrorist »

Before the theory of evolution and big bang was made, what did athiests believe in? y:-/
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Alright, i got a good question.

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Before the theory of evolution and big bang was made, what did athiests believe in? y:-/
I don't know, but it wasn't God... I'm actually better at these if they're multiple choice ! y*-:) :D I mean I am 85 !
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

JurassicTerrorist wrote:Before the theory of evolution and big bang was made, what did athiests believe in? y:-/
Why only atheists?

Some theists believe in evolution and the Big Bang.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

The modern atheist is someone that believes this is all there is and there is nothing else.
That only what is observable or verifiable by science is "real".

That type of atheist didn't exist till about the 19th century,perhaps 17th.
Before that they were agnostic or simply the atheist type that believed that only what we can see with our 5 senses was real.
JurassicTerrorist
Familiar Member

RickD wrote:
JurassicTerrorist wrote:Before the theory of evolution and big bang was made, what did athiests believe in? y:-/
Why only atheists?

Some theists believe in evolution and the Big Bang.
True, but before those theories were made theists believed God created the universe, Atheists didn't, and if they did they wouldn't be athiests.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

As an Skeptic/Atheist, I have to agree with ES; whatever they believed, it didn't include God.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:The modern atheist is someone that believes this is all there is and there is nothing else.

Before that they were agnostic or simply the atheist type that believed that only what we can see with our 5 senses was real.
What's the difference between the modern atheist who believes only that which is observable and verifiable by science is real, vs the pre 17th century atheist who believes only that which can be experienced via our 5 seances are real? Am I missing something here?

Ken
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:The modern atheist is someone that believes this is all there is and there is nothing else.

What's the difference between the modern atheist who believes only that which is observable and verifiable by science is real, vs the pre 17th century atheist who believes only that which can be experienced via our 5 seances are real? Am I missing something here?

Ken
I'd say you're missing something. A seance is an attempt to communicate with spirits. So, the difference is that a modern atheist who believes only that which is observable and verifiable by science, and an atheist who conducts seances, is pretty obvious. :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

So, the difference is that a modern atheist who believes only that which is observable and verifiable by science, and an atheist who conducts seances, is pretty obvious. :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
My brother ... you are absolutely the King of low hanging fruit ! :pound: :ebiggrin:
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:
So, the difference is that a modern atheist who believes only that which is observable and verifiable by science, and an atheist who conducts seances, is pretty obvious. :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
My brother ... you are absolutely the King of low hanging fruit ! :pound: :ebiggrin:
Being vertically challenged, I can only reach the low hanging fruit.

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Most probably, they considered Aristotle as foundational to their thinking.

:D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

They believed in many things per personal preference such as:

Nothing

Central Planning

Government as the answer for all ills

Social Conflict Theories

Science

Not the least concerned about God and simply did not care how the universe came into being

Past trauma, or abuse erased belief in God cementing no belief in God (thus pick one of the above reasons)

Death of a loved one erased belief in God cementing no belief in God

Evil and man's inhumanity to man in the world seen and/or experienced erased belief in God cementing no belief in God

Unanswered questions erased belief in God cementing no belief in God

Stupid people erased belief in God cementing no belief in God

Detrimental actions by some professing misguided Christian or some other faith and measuring God's existence by those actions erased belief in God cementing no belief in God

Bias learned in academia cementing no belief in God

Just plain lazy cementing no belief in God

Etc and etc...

These are a few things atheist believed in before the big bang theory came in vogue. However, in the first 360 years of the Christianity, Christians were called atheist and they believed in God!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

According to my understanding, prior to the Big Bang theory, they had the "Steady State theory" which says the Universe had no beginning nor end.

Ken
RickD wrote
JurassicTerrorist
Familiar Member

Kenny wrote:
According to my understanding, prior to the Big Bang theory, they had the "Steady State theory" which says the Universe had no beginning nor end.

Ken
Makes sense, however what about earth? Did earth always exist according to that theory? Were humans created, or did they just always exist?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Kenny wrote:

Ken
The Steady State Theory was first formulated by Sir James Jeans around 1920 and revised in 1948 by Hermann Bondi, Thomas Gold, and Fred Hoyle. It has been discredited. Before 1920's there was a wide array of reasons and motivational causes of those reasons.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys