Alright, i got a good question.

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Alright, i got a good question.

Post by edwardmurphy »

JurassicTerrorist wrote:Before the theory of evolution and big bang was made, what did athiests believe in? y:-/
That is a good question. You should do some research and answer it.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

B. W. wrote:
Kenny wrote:
JurassicTerrorist wrote:Before the theory of evolution and big bang was made, what did athiests believe in? y:-/
According to my understanding, prior to the Big Bang theory, they had the "Steady State theory" which says the Universe had no beginning nor end.

Ken
The Steady State Theory was first formulated by Sir James Jeans around 1920 and revised in 1948 by Hermann Bondi, Thomas Gold, and Fred Hoyle. It has been discredited. Before 1920's there was a wide array of reasons and motivational causes of those reasons.
-
-
-
I agree! There has always been one explanation or another for what we see when we look up. What I like about science is it has the ability to be falsified; and when it is, its designed to either abandon previous explanations or change them to include the new found information.
I am reminded of a wise saying; “Trust those who seek the truth, but beware of those who have found it.”

Ken
Last edited by Kenny on Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Kenny wrote:I am reminded of a wise saying; “Trust those who seek the truth, but beware of those who have found it.”
You may want to reconsider that «wise saying» as it reeks and drips of New Ageism.

:shakehead:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Kenny wrote:I am reminded of a wise saying; “Trust those who seek the truth, but beware of those who have found it.”
You may want to reconsider that «wise saying» as it reeks and drips of New Ageism.

Not familiar with "new age", but for the sake of conversation; I will assume it is bad and reply, just because something is bad doesn't mean something good cannot come from it. Example; the US Civil War was a horrible thing, but the medical technology that resulted from this war saved millions of lives; that was a good thing. The New Age religion may be a terrible practice, but if this line of thinking resulted from this practice, I can recognize that as good.

Ken
RickD wrote
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Huh? It reeks and drips of skepticism. That's not New Age at all. It's actually the opposite.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

edwardmurphy wrote:

Huh? It reeks and drips of skepticism. That's not New Age at all. It's actually the opposite.
What I see when I read that saying is that the truth is in each of us. So if I say I have found the truth then really its only finding my own truth. So if I say to someone 'Hey! I got the truth' then they should not trust.

Like the blind men all touching a different 'piece of the elephant' If one shouts out 'Hey! I know what this thing is!' We should not trust.

Though, I think the above is all crud.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Why would you beware of someone who found truth?

It says a lot but means nothing.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
MBPrata
Established Member

Post by MBPrata »

The modern atheist is someone that believes this is all there is and there is nothing else.
That's racist! ;)

Ok, seriously...not racist, but an abusive generalization (as are generalizations, by the way). That, I believe, is Victor Stenger's atheism. There are other types of atheisms, like Hawking's atheism. These atheists believe there may be tons of universes outside our own.

Just saying! =P
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Kenny wrote:
B. W. wrote:
Kenny wrote:
According to my understanding, prior to the Big Bang theory, they had the "Steady State theory" which says the Universe had no beginning nor end.

Ken
The Steady State Theory was first formulated by Sir James Jeans around 1920 and revised in 1948 by Hermann Bondi, Thomas Gold, and Fred Hoyle. It has been discredited. Before 1920's there was a wide array of reasons and motivational causes of those reasons.
-
-
-
I agree! There has always been one explanation or another for what we see when we look up. What I like about science is it has the ability to be falsified; and when it is, its designed to either abandon previous explanations or change them to include the new found information.
I am reminded of a wise saying; “Trust those who seek the truth, but beware of those who have found it.”

Ken
So you trust them because they have been wrong so many times? How do you know they are right this time? It could be falsified again,yet so many rely on science for their atheism.It seems to me we either have speculation from man or revelation from God.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

MBPrata wrote:
The modern atheist is someone that believes this is all there is and there is nothing else.
That's racist! ;)

Ok, seriously...not racist, but an abusive generalization (as are generalizations, by the way). That, I believe, is Victor Stenger's atheism. There are other types of atheisms, like Hawking's atheism. These atheists believe there may be tons of universes outside our own.

Just saying! =P
Niether was Victor Stenger's science peer reviewed science and neither is Stephen Hawking's "because there is a law of gravity the universe can and will create itself" science peer reviewed science and not all scientists agree with Stephen Hawking and there are competing ideas too. You are going by non-peer reviewed scientific ideas out there,I hope you know.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
MBPrata
Established Member

Post by MBPrata »

not all scientists agree with Stephen Hawking and there are competing ideas too.
Oh, dear! You think I'm 10 years old or something?! Or 12? You think I don't know that? You think I believe every scientist agrees with mr. Hawking? Me, who keep showing you that every belief has someone else who doesn't believe in it? You think that is who I am? Huh?
You are going by non-peer reviewed scientific ideas out there,I hope you know.
Yes, I "know" it (not really, because I don't "know", I believe OR think). But those perspectives come from intelligent people, which is enough for me to consider their perspectives. Not believe; consider.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

MBPrata wrote:
That's racist! ;)

Just saying!
Anyone who believes in «tons of universes outside our own» is an idiot too easily influenced by science fiction writers. Both Christians and atheists are not immune to such fruitcakeology...

:fruitcake: (<------ this is a spaceship used by many to travel to other dimensions.)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

edwardmurphy wrote:

Nessa wrote:What I see when I read that saying is that the truth is in each of us.
I don't see it as a claim that each of us have a separate truth, I see it as advise to be careful of those who claim to have all the answers, not those who admit they don't but do their best to find them.
Nessa wrote:So if I say I have found the truth then really its only finding my own truth. So if I say to someone 'Hey! I got the truth' then they should not trust.
History is full of men who claimed to have had all the answers, and were unwilling to admit when proven wrong.

Ken
RickD wrote
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kenny wrote:
edwardmurphy wrote:

Nessa wrote:What I see when I read that saying is that the truth is in each of us.
I don't see it as a claim that each of us have a separate truth, I see it as advise to be careful of those who claim to have all the answers, not those who admit they don't but do their best to find them.
Nessa wrote:So if I say I have found the truth then really its only finding my own truth. So if I say to someone 'Hey! I got the truth' then they should not trust.
History is full of men who claimed to have had all the answers, and were unwilling to admit when proven wrong.

Ken
I wasnt really refering to truths like solid facts e.g 2+2=4 but more about the other sorts of truth e.g truth on religion.

Our seperate truths may line up with several other truths that other people have.

We either have our own 'truth' or God's truth. Thats what I believe anyway.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote:
B. W. wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
-
-
-

Ken
abelcainsbrother wrote:So you trust them because they have been wrong so many times?
I come from the position that nobody is perfect, nobody knows everything; the best they can do is convince me they are sincere when they give me the best explanation they have to my questions.
When someone has a history of admitting when they had it wrong in the past, I am convinced they are sincere when they tell me they believe they’ve gotten it right.
abelcainsbrother wrote:How do you know they are right this time?
I don’t always know; but because of their willingness to admit when wrong, I trust them when they tell me they are giving me the best information they have at the moment.
abelcainsbrother wrote:It could be falsified again,
I don’t expect anyone to know all the answers, all I want is the best explanation available from those who study in the field.
abelcainsbrother wrote:yet so many rely on science for their atheism.
I doubt it.
abelcainsbrother wrote:It seems to me we either have speculation from man or revelation from God.
How about skepticism towards both?

Ken
RickD wrote