What scares the New Atheists

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by neo-x »

Article by John Gray, for those not familiar with him he is an English political philosopher with interests in analytic philosophy and the history of ideas. He retired as School Professor of European Thought at the London School of Economics and Political Science. Gray contributes regularly to The Guardian, The Times Literary Supplement and the New Statesman, where he is the lead book reviewer.

He is not a believer but he has some good points and questions on new atheism. A must read article in my opinion.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: What scares the New Atheists

Post by PaulSacramento »

I like this part:
The answer that will be given is that religion is implicated in many human evils. Of course this is true. Among other things, Christianity brought with it a type of sexual repression unknown in pagan times. Other religions have their own distinctive flaws. But the fault is not with religion, any more than science is to blame for the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction or medicine and psychology for the refinement of techniques of torture. The fault is in the intractable human animal. Like religion at its worst, contemporary atheism feeds the fantasy that human life can be remade by a conversion experience – in this case, conversion to unbelief.
Rarely do you read such and honest and open atheist.
Of course He fails to understand that for a Christian, conversion is not something that He/She does, but something that is done to them by Christ.
The conversion experience of a Christian is not "self centered" but OTHER centered AND other CAUSED.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:I like this part:
The answer that will be given is that religion is implicated in many human evils. Of course this is true. Among other things, Christianity brought with it a type of sexual repression unknown in pagan times. Other religions have their own distinctive flaws. But the fault is not with religion, any more than science is to blame for the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction or medicine and psychology for the refinement of techniques of torture. The fault is in the intractable human animal. Like religion at its worst, contemporary atheism feeds the fantasy that human life can be remade by a conversion experience – in this case, conversion to unbelief.
Of course He fails to understand that for a Christian, conversion is not something that He/She does, but something that is done to them by Christ.
The conversion experience of a Christian is not "self centered" but OTHER centered AND other CAUSED.
There is supposed to be something in the way of new insight here?

Nothing new in the gratuitous dig at the honest of atheists, either.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:

It isn't a dig Audie, though that you read it that way speaks volumes.
It is a clear statement that the writers misunderstands what the conversion process is suppose to be for a Christian.
Which he clearly shows ion his statement.
Albeit, he does state it in a very interesting way:
Like religion at its worst, contemporary atheism feeds the fantasy that human life can be remade by a conversion experience
The "religion at its worst" is actually a very informed statement from an atheist so, perhaps, my "dig" as you call it might have been a bit much.
That said, I stand by it in the sense that it is crucial for any skeptic to understand what the conversion process is for a Christian before they criticize it.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Audie wrote:

It isn't a dig Audie, though that you read it that way speaks volumes.
It is a clear statement that the writers misunderstands what the conversion process is suppose to be for a Christian.
Which he clearly shows ion his statement.
Albeit, he does state it in a very interesting way:
Like religion at its worst, contemporary atheism feeds the fantasy that human life can be remade by a conversion experience
The "religion at its worst" is actually a very informed statement from an atheist so, perhaps, my "dig" as you call it might have been a bit much.
That said, I stand by it in the sense that it is crucial for any skeptic to understand what the conversion process is for a Christian before they criticize it.
I know how to read. Im not hypersensitive. How about turn about is fair play? "Rarely do you meet an open and honest Christian." No dig there? Just stating the facts?

I agree that (if anyone thinks) getting rid of all religion would somehow make the world a better place is a fantasy.

As for the conversion process, I'd say it far more important for the convertees to understand it.

I've relatives, one in particular who still goes on about it if you give him a chance, who were converted to Maoism. True Believers. People get converted to cults, and every sort of religion.

Im sure they all will say the same thing, that theirs is the real thing.

Not to compare it to addiction as such, but addiction is something that is not at all well understood. Psychology is in its infancy. Its real, though, people do get addicted.

I dont doubt that conversion is real. But what it really is, I dont think anyone knows.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

For me Audie, conversion is absolutely knowing that through the sacrifice that Christ made I can know God.

Most religions or cults require you to do something, Christianity doesn`t. Except believe, and we all do that, it`s just what we believe.

If the world lived as Christ did, do you think the world would be a better place? I do.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Storyteller wrote:For me Audie, conversion is absolutely knowing that through the sacrifice that Christ made I can know God.

Most religions or cults require you to do something, Christianity doesn`t. Except believe, and we all do that, it`s just what we believe.

If the world lived as Christ did, do you think the world would be a better place? I do.

There are accounts of how he lived, at least, for the last three years or so.
If people followed the "golden rule", a concept common to all cultures I believe, we'd all be better off.

A world where everyone was a day labourer who cared nothing for saving for the future, counselled that one leave his family, and or went about offering "healing", I think things would get real messed up real fast.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Audie wrote:
Storyteller wrote:For me Audie, conversion is absolutely knowing that through the sacrifice that Christ made I can know God.

If people followed the "golden rule", a concept common to all cultures I believe, we'd all be better off.

A world where everyone was a day labourer who cared nothing for saving for the future, counselled that one leave his family, and or went about offering "healing", I think things would get real messed up real fast.
Cared nothing for saving for the future? Someone who died, horrifically and painfully, willingly, to save mankind? That`s not caring for saving for the future? It`s not about material things Audie, it`s about our salvation.

Leave our families? well, we all leave them one way or another and I don`t think that`s quite what is meant. It`s about belief, absolute belief, choosing God over everyone else, even ourselves.

The "healing"..... He healed the sick, how is that wrong? Or do you just find it hard to believe it happened?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Storyteller wrote:
Audie wrote:

Cared nothing for saving for the future? Someone who died, horrifically and painfully, willingly, to save mankind? That`s not caring for saving for the future? It`s not about material things Audie, it`s about our salvation.

Leave our families? well, we all leave them one way or another and I don`t think that`s quite what is meant. It`s about belief, absolute belief, choosing God over everyone else, even ourselves.

The "healing"..... He healed the sick, how is that wrong? Or do you just find it hard to believe it happened?
That is drifting off topic, and I kinda dont want to talk about it here / now.

There was nothing new or interesting, let alone scary in the thing posted.
All I saw was an excuse to take a dig at atheists.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Okay, no probs hon.

You know where I am, whenever.

A x
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Yeah Audie, you need to read better.
You said:
I know how to read. Im not hypersensitive. How about turn about is fair play? "Rarely do you meet an open and honest Christian." No dig there? Just stating the facts?
BUT I didn't writer that, I wrote:
See the difference?
READ not meet.
I have read the vast majority of atheist writings against religion and faith ( I can't see I have read all of course, no one can).
And I stand by my statement.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:Yeah Audie, you need to read better.
You said:
BUT I didn't writer that, I wrote:
See the difference?
READ not meet.
I have read the vast majority of atheist writings against religion and faith ( I can't see I have read all of course, no one can).
And I stand by my statement.
Ohhh, that so makes all the difference!

Here is the properly written counter statement:

"Rarely, yes, oh so very seldom it is that you read anything honest written by a Christian."

Does seeing that clarify things, seem equally fair?
Last edited by Audie on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

The problem is this atheist is being attacked now by other atheists.There are different denominations in atheism,don't ya know?I like to ask atheists are you atheist plus feminists or not?A lot of them are but Thunderfoot is'nt and they argue about it.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

abelcainsbrother wrote:The problem is this atheist is being attacked now by other atheists.There are different denominations in atheism,don't ya know?I like to ask atheists are you atheist plus feminists or not?A lot of them are but Thunderfoot is'nt and they argue about it.
Thunderfoot is a retard. So is the Amazing Atheist. So is AronRa. They are rather poor representatives of atheism, IMO. More antitheist.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Great. First the bigoted stereotype. Is it admitted, or taken back? No! The poster stands by his words.

Next, someone else hops in to say its the atheists' problem, and adds in some more to the pig pile.

What splendid "Christians" here.