The Foolishness of Many Non-believers

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

The Foolishness of Many Non-believers

Post by Kurieuo »

You get these strange posters who constantly come through.

They think they're making us look foolish point by pretending to be Christian and asking useless questions.

Some more honest types will not portray themselves as Christian, but still ask absolutely useless questions, or question that common sense could respond to (if the questions even make sense). You can also tell they read very little.

Now, we have some more sensible non-believers even if they disagree, they at least treat with "some" dignity.

But, these foolish non-believers have been a common trend for as long as this board has been around. You sometimes even catch them writing on their main board of secular friends something like: "I'm actually so and so on G&S... and I'm blah de balh blah... having a bit a fun... they're soo stoopid!"

My question is why? Don't you know that YOU actually just look stupid and aren't really doing anything but playing the fool? But that's fine. You just end up looking foolish to everyone, even some of your secular buddies, and it just shows who is more honest and rationally grounded.

While fools are amusing, this is to me is just evidence the beliefs of such a fool are more than likely also foolish.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: The Foolishness of Many Non-believers

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I must be oblivious and too trusting, well it fits with my Briggs Meyer personality test score. :mrgreen:
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I just see a couple of goofy Australians. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Kurieuo wrote:You get these strange posters who constantly come through.

They think they're making us look foolish point by pretending to be Christian and asking useless questions.
I have been thinking of this for a few weeks now. I'm always hopeful when a new atheist or agnostic (or one of the new hybrid models, ''agnostic-atheists'') show up. Some of them even seem intelligent -Neha and Fruitloops007, recently - but they never stay for very long. Neha is long gone out of frustration, and Fruitloops wet his pants at the prospect of taking on Jac3510 in a discussion.

I think we have the problem. This site boasts that it has ''evidence of God from science'' but the poor lost souls who come here cannot possibly see that evidence for what it is. They are blinded, their understanding is veiled and their pride gets in the way of seeing what is obvious to the rest of us.

What to do?

FL y:-/
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I must be oblivious and too trusting, well it fits with my Briggs Meyer personality test score. :mrgreen:
I just did my Briggs myer. This time I was a ISPF
ISFP
Introvert(33%) Sensing(38%) Feeling(12%) Perceiving(22)%
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (33%)
You have moderate preference of Sensing over Intuition (38%)
You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (12%)
You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (22%)
Whatever that means. y:-?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:I must be oblivious and too trusting, well it fits with my Briggs Meyer personality test score. :mrgreen:
ISFP
Sounds like you did a crappy one, if you do a proper test it is more in depth than that.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
ISFP
Sounds like you did a crappy one, if you do a proper test it is more in depth than that.
Do you have a link to a better one? I want to find out if I'm a potential serial killer.

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
ISFP
Do you have a link to a better one? I want to find out if I'm a potential serial killer.
Can't seem to find the one I did, but it took me half an hour to complete it and another half hour to read the results. Don't forget they are not always 100% accurate.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Daniel wrote:
Can't seem to find the one I did, but it took me half an hour to complete it and another half hour to read the results. Don't forget they are not always 100% accurate.
And don't forget the 4 letters are opposite in the northern hemisphere. You know, like water goes down the drain opposite ways in the northern and Southern Hemispheres. ;)

-Edward R Murrow

ryanbouma
Established Member

Post by ryanbouma »

I haven't been on this board very long, but I to have seen a lot of this. It's pretty unfortunate that they don't actually want to engage and ask the tough questions. Like frootloops. He got a few questions. Answered them so straight faced like he had it figured out. Then when the tough questions came,,, gone.

I don't get discouraged though. I think it's planting a seed of doubt about their beliefs. Also, when they are judged they will be without excuse. And I'm thankful for some of the regular non-believers like Perci, Irevillous (spelling?), and others. It's good that they are taking in different view points and challenging us.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

I am INTJ.

Also, question on you guys: Go back to 2011 when I first visited this forum and was not Christian. Which group you would put me in? Another question: was this group included in your above posts? Last question: May there be more people like me?

Have all blessed Sunday. :heart:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
born2wonder
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by born2wonder »

1over137 wrote:I am INTJ.

Also, question on you guys: Go back to 2011 when I first visited this forum and was not Christian. Which group you would put me in? Another question: was this group included in your above posts? Last question: May there be more people like me?

I am new here as of just a few minutes ago, so I will ask foolish questions because I have not seen the background of what led to the comments I am reading now. Do I understand you correctly that you came here two years ago not as a Christian, but you are now a Christian? If the answer to that is yes, then I am confused again, as to why you would go from not being a Christian to being a Christian in two years. If I entirely misunderstand what you are saying, then I am sorry for my misunderstanding. :)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Hana, you're definitely not the posters I refer to in my original post.

I think I've been around long enough, and modded long enough here, to detect the kind of posters I'm referring to.

To verify suspicions, moderators use to follow up with a polite private email to such posters telling them this board possibly isn't for them. You might be able to find this message we use to send in the private mod forums somewhere. But, the board has been relaxed a lot since.

In probably 80% of cases where I was suspect and sent this PM, suspicions seemed correct. Sometimes they dropped all pretense in their own response, and really let loose in their private response about how unintelligent and stupid we are, needing to be enlightened, etc... before just leaving the board.

This is also not a matter of "us" doing something wrong FL, but just the nature of the heart of someone who comes here. Take Hana. I read over her older posts, and clearly I don't see the same stubborn resistance in her attitude. She could be spoken to. We need to be discerning of a person's heart. For "we" can't change anyone's opinion or belief. "We" can't bring anyone to Christ. That is between God the Holy Spirit and a person.

There are no magic or spiritual words we can say that will flick a switch. "We" can only present what we know as best as we can, and strive with those who do not believe as best as we can. But... I stop at continually casting pearls to be trodden on over and over. There is no reason why we should not have such boundaries. And there is no reason to believe we're doing something wrong when people don't listen, anymore than God did when Pharaoh would not listen.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
born2wonder
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by born2wonder »

Kurieuo wrote:
1over137 wrote:
There are no magic or spiritual words we can say that will flick a switch. "We" can only present what we know as best as we can, and strive with those who do not believe as best as we can. But... I stop at continually casting pearls to be trodden on over and over. There is no reason why we should not have such boundaries. And there is no reason to believe we're doing something wrong when people don't listen, anymore than God did when Pharaoh would not listen.
I cut much of previous post for brevity. The title of this thread (as I mentioned, I am new here last night) is 'The Foolishness of Non-Believers'. Is it possible that designating non-believers as being foolish might encourage an approach by a non-believer that is not the most respectful? It seems that the believer's approach in that title is not very respectful.

I am a non-believer, having been a very active believer, church goer, condemning a lot of people who were not Christians (mainly in my mind, rather than publicly) for 40 some years of my life. For reasons, some of which are not entirely clear to me, other than saying I developed a different opinion after years of being alive, I am no longer a believer, and very strongly feel that no believer can show me a rational reason (other than Pascal's Wager) to ever believe again. I have had quite a bit of discussion online on this subject over the past several years, and generally my experience has been that the believers, especially the fundamentalist believers, are a very nasty rude group (which I probably was rather secretively before), and not very accepting of opinions of others, even if they are presented in a polite organized fashion. Yes, there are people who come on these sites just to be a pain (I have noted that seems to be the case mainly on the side of believers - in the sites that I am most familiar). They have no arguments, no information, just personal attacks and threats of eternal torment.

My life is surrounded by believers. My mother is an 89 year old very active church worker, choir singer, and occasional soloist at church. Her 88 year old sister is a retired minister, in several choirs, and works extensively in her church (so I have heard, at the expense of becoming somewhat of an annoyance to those in charge, because they want to run things their way, which is their right).

Regarding presenting "what you know, as best you can", I have found that people present not what they "know" but what they believe, in spite of what they actually know, in a lot of cases, in discussions. To the best of my knowledge, and I am well educated, a life-long reader, and have always enjoyed good discussion, there is only "belief" when it comes to things of the supernatural, miracles, God and the Bible.

There have been no actual confirmed evidences of anything related to religious beliefs as at this point in time (if there had been would we not have, as we did with the flat earth belief, stopped not believing?).

I have a tendency, to run on and on and on........., both in my posts and in my personal face to face chats with people, in the rare occasions that they permit me to speak. That is a personality problem I have, so I apologize for saying in many words, likely, what I could have said in one sentence.

I do take these discussions seriously though, when those I debate also take them seriously. :)
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

born2wonder wrote:

I am new here as of just a few minutes ago, so I will ask foolish questions because I have not seen the background of what led to the comments I am reading now. Do I understand you correctly that you came here two years ago not as a Christian, but you are now a Christian? If the answer to that is yes, then I am confused again, as to why you would go from not being a Christian to being a Christian in two years. If I entirely misunderstand what you are saying, then I am sorry for my misunderstanding. :)
Why would I go from not being a Christian to being a Christian in two years?

My answer: When I entered this forum in 2011 I was not Christian. Then I became Christian one day. Now, after two years or so I am still Christian. And why one day I became Christian? Because I got to know God.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart