A Public Apology

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: A Public Apology

Post by Jac3510 »

Lunalle wrote:Actually, I have well over 15 years of formal school. Keep the insults rolling though, they're good comedic relief.
Of graduate and post-graduate studies in philosophy, theology, and biblical studies?

Obviously not. So all you're doing is just offering an illegitimate transfer of authority. Just becuase you have formal studies in one field (IT in your case, I think?) doesn't make you qualified to speak on another.

But hey, keep those fallacies rolling! You're just proving my point. (And the comic relief doesn't hurt, either.)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Lunalle wrote: I need to work on my communication skills. I openly admit that I am autistic, and have poor communication skills. I work very hard on them, but my mental processes are abnormal.
You communicate well, at least in written form. You do, however, listen badly, if at all.

How does your autism manifest itself?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Lunalle
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Lunalle »

Jac:
Yes, the majority of my post-secondary studies have been in constructively applying critical thinking skills and logic, which is labelled IT. If you admit that theology and biblical studies (this is not a philosophical site, it is a theological/scientific site... at least it is labeled as such), are not based on critical thinking and logic, then I will readily admit that I'm not "qualified" to speak on the topic.

Furstentum Liechtenstein:
Thank you, written communication is easiest for me. I understand that people don't see that I listen. Sometimes, I cannot comprehend a person's method of thinking, sometimes I recognize and reject it. Occasionally, I agree to follow the method of thinking. :)

My autism manifests itself in a few significant ways. On the negative side, I generally have a lower emotional capacity than "average" (I don't feel things as strongly, or at least emotion is less likely to cloud my logical thinking). I also have many different emotional triggers than most. Sometimes, I have to force myself to display the socially "correct" emotional responses. I also have a significant lack of empathy (which is why I usually come off rudely, it is not intentional, it is just that I have a hard time trying to recognize how other people are going to attach emotions to my words). On the plus side, I have a very high level of logical capacity. I have an IQ of 146, and I have been privately tutored since halfway through the first grade.

It is certainly a "pros and cons" thing. The cons are very difficult to deal with, and very few people respect the pros. For example, Jac thinks he knows more than me, because he's studied philosophy, theology, and biblical studies for 10 years. I think I know more, because I've studied different thinking styles, and the results of adapting those thinking styles. While Jac cares what God thinks, I care how Jac thinks.

Cheers!
Atheism: disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods. (from Greek atheos, from a- 'without' + theos 'god').

Are you an atheist or a theist? If you're a theist, move a little closer to the truth, and become an atheist! :)
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Lunalle wrote:Jac:
Yes, the majority of my post-secondary studies have been in constructively applying critical thinking skills and logic, which is labelled IT. If you admit that theology and biblical studies (this is not a philosophical site, it is a theological/scientific site... at least it is labeled as such), are not based on critical thinking and logic, then I will readily admit that I'm not "qualified" to speak on the topic.

Furstentum Liechtenstein:
Thank you, written communication is easiest for me. I understand that people don't see that I listen. Sometimes, I cannot comprehend a person's method of thinking, sometimes I recognize and reject it. Occasionally, I agree to follow the method of thinking. :)

My autism manifests itself in a few significant ways. On the negative side, I generally have a lower emotional capacity than "average" (I don't feel things as strongly, or at least emotion is less likely to cloud my logical thinking). I also have many different emotional triggers than most. Sometimes, I have to force myself to display the socially "correct" emotional responses. I also have a significant lack of empathy (which is why I usually come off rudely, it is not intentional, it is just that I have a hard time trying to recognize how other people are going to attach emotions to my words). On the plus side, I have a very high level of logical capacity. I have an IQ of 146, and I have been privately tutored since halfway through the first grade.

It is certainly a "pros and cons" thing. The cons are very difficult to deal with, and very few people respect the pros. For example, Jac thinks he knows more than me, because he's studied philosophy, theology, and biblical studies for 10 years. I think I know more, because I've studied different thinking styles, and the results of adapting those thinking styles. While Jac cares what God thinks, I care how Jac thinks.

Cheers!
Autism is a genetic term, in fact Autism is actually classed under Autism Spectrum Disorders.

I am a social worker - worked with many Autistic clients and families with all degrees of this disorder - wrote developmental treatment plans, etc and etc, as their CM. So if you do not mind Lunalle, what specific form of Autism do you have?

This is important to know as you are engaged on a public forum and open yourself up to a host comments from folks who have never dealt with this issue. I am posting a link for the benefit of those inclined to engage you in conversation. This is only for helping people know more about what your yourself stated you have. Here is the link:

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/autis ... -disorders

Be aware that you are dealing with folks from a wide variety of backgrounds and they may come back at you. In other words, you dish it out - then expect to reap it in kind in return.

I ask people to treat you with respect and that you likewise treat others with respect because there are no kid gloves on a public forum.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Lunalle
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Lunalle »

Thank you for pointing all that out B.W. I appreciate it.

I would love to answer your question, but I honestly do not know. Although I suspect I have been autistic since birth, I have not been tested for it at all until earlier this year. I live in Canada, where the healthcare system is (mostly) free, but (very) slow. I expect it will take 2-3 years to complete the testing required to identify which specific form of Autism I have.

I have seen a psychiatrist twice this year (which is rare), and she was shocked both times, instantly prescribing medication, just so I could live a somewhat normal life, instead of living "in my bubble."

I honestly make a strong effort to treat others with respect. On that note, I have been politely asked to "let things cool off for a few days." So, I wish you all a happy and prosperous weekend.

Cheers!
Atheism: disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods. (from Greek atheos, from a- 'without' + theos 'god').

Are you an atheist or a theist? If you're a theist, move a little closer to the truth, and become an atheist! :)
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Lunalle wrote: My autism manifests itself in a few significant ways. On the negative side, I generally have a lower emotional capacity than "average" (I don't feel things as strongly, or at least emotion is less likely to cloud my logical thinking). I also have many different emotional triggers than most. Sometimes, I have to force myself to display the socially "correct" emotional responses. I also have a significant lack of empathy (which is why I usually come off rudely, it is not intentional, it is just that I have a hard time trying to recognize how other people are going to attach emotions to my words). On the plus side, I have a very high level of logical capacity. I have an IQ of 146, and I have been privately tutored since halfway through the first grade.
OK...thanks for your answer. You seem to have a lot going for you. From what I can see, your biggest challenge is a low social IQ, poor social skills in other words. Since you are aware of this problem, you can always work on it if you choose.
Lunalle wrote:I live in Canada...
You have my sympathy. :shakehead: Maybe you got a raw deal after all...

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Lunalle wrote:
jlay wrote:Get Frank Turek's book and you will know.
I think I do know, but I will not be purchasing his book. I googled his name, and the auto-complete suggestion was "frank turek is an idiot" I have better things to do than read the writings of an idiot. This also highlights why I thought the original post was a troll.
Hmm... complete trust in Google. And it's auto-suggest tool at that.

Google I suppose is "God" afterall... or likes to think it is.

:lol:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)