Nature of Reality: A Challenge to Atheists

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Nils
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Nature of Reality: A Challenge to Atheists

Post by Nils »

RickD wrote:
Nils wrote:
I have to clarify. A materialistic world-view should, to be coherent, be able to explain everything in the world. But it is not required that it explains how the world came into existence. That question is outside the scope of materialism and in that sense there is no need for an answer. But my world-view includes the existence question and therefore the question is important to me
Isn't that self-defeating?

If one who holds to a materialistic world-view admits that something is outside the scope of materialism, then how can materialism hold water?
I have never seen a discussion on this subject but I see it as reasonable to say that materialism/physicalism applies to our universe, a universe that we can describe using physics, that we can get evidence about by physical methods and try to bring order to using physical laws. That /what created our universe we have as far as I know no evidence about and therefore we can't apply physical methods. It seems to be outside the physical realm and discussions about it are metaphysical, at least currently.

Whatever you think of my discussion above I don't think it will influence the validity or consistence of a materialistic universe.

Nils
Nils

Post by Nils »

Kurieuo wrote:Nils, also I haven't overlooked your post. I'm short of time lately, but I appreciate anyone opposite to my position who does try take up the challenge to justify their view of the foundational nature of reality.
Kurieuo, no problem, take your time. I am rather slow in answering myself.
I'm not sure what reasons were offered that swing you towards Materialism/Physicalism (which we might use interchangeably), but right now I've just skimmed your post and will examine your words more closely when responding.
You are right, I have not given any reasons for my worldview, I could argue at length about these (my 28 arguments that I mentioned in another thread), but now I would rather discuss what you brought up in your OP, the challenge to an atheist. But to make it completely clear, I don't think that it ever will be possible to prove or disprove theism or atheism.

What we may discuss are "the inmaterial aspects found in the world", aspects that according to my view are emerging properties in a materialistic, and even deterministic world. (Even if I don't think our world is deterministic). Aspects as consciousness, decision making, moral responsibility and love.

Nils
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nils wrote:
RickD wrote:
Nils wrote:
I have to clarify. A materialistic world-view should, to be coherent, be able to explain everything in the world. But it is not required that it explains how the world came into existence. That question is outside the scope of materialism and in that sense there is no need for an answer. But my world-view includes the existence question and therefore the question is important to me

If one who holds to a materialistic world-view admits that something is outside the scope of materialism, then how can materialism hold water?
I have never seen a discussion on this subject but I see it as reasonable to say that materialism/physicalism applies to our universe, a universe that we can describe using physics, that we can get evidence about by physical methods and try to bring order to using physical laws. That /what created our universe we have as far as I know no evidence about and therefore we can't apply physical methods. It seems to be outside the physical realm and discussions about it are metaphysical, at least currently.

Whatever you think of my discussion above I don't think it will influence the validity or consistence of a materialistic universe.

Nils
I guess I misunderstood what you meant by, "materialistic world-view". Whenever I've heard anyone talk about having a materialistic world-view, they are saying that materialism is all that is.

I'm glad you acknowledge the possibility of what I think is obvious. There is something more than materialism.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nils

Post by Nils »

RickD wrote:
Nils wrote:
RickD wrote:
Nils wrote:

Nils
I guess I misunderstood what you meant by, "materialistic world-view". Whenever I've heard anyone talk about having a materialistic world-view, they are saying that materialism is all that is.

I'm glad you acknowledge the possibility of what I think is obvious. There is something more than materialism.
I would not say that there is more than materialism. I say that there is only materialism in our world, i.e. our universe. If there is some entity that created our universe we probably will never know what it is. To me it is meaningless to say that this entity is materialistic or not. Therefore I don't say that "there is something more than materialism". Even to say that it is possible that there is something more than materialism sounds wrong to me if you don't mean the trivial, that we don't know everything and will never know.

Nils
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

If there is only materialism then where do abstract thoughts fit in?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:If there is only materialism then where do abstract thoughts fit in?
Abstract thoughts only exist in your head, they are figments of your imagination; they don't have an actual existence.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:If there is only materialism then where do abstract thoughts fit in?
Abstract thoughts only exist in your head, they are figments of your imagination; they don't have an actual existence.

Ken
Thoughts don't exist ??
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Thoughts don't exist ??
As I said; they only exist as a figment of your imagination.

Ken
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Thoughts don't exist ??

Ken
Then How exactly does imagination exist in a materialistic world?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nils

Post by Nils »

I am not sure about what you mean by "abstract" thoughts. Are there abstract thoughts and other thougths?

Generallly, I think that thoughts supervene on the material in the same way execution of algorithms supervenes on silicon in computers.

Nils
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Thoughts don't exist ??

Ken
And my imagination, since it isn't material, doesn't exist either?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Thoughts don't exist ??

Ken
Then How exactly does imagination exist in a materialistic world?
Imagination exist only in the context of human thought. They don't have an existence by themselves.

K
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Thoughts don't exist ??

Ken
And my imagination, since it isn't material, doesn't exist either?
Your imagination only exists in the context of your thoughts. They are only real to you; nobody else.

Ken
RickD wrote
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Thoughts only exist in our imagination and our imagination only exist in our thoughts.
Wow..the very definition of circular reasoning.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

Is Kenny getting closer to finding God? I think so. There's only so many straws you can grasp before you have to give up on your past grudges and move forward.