There is no Hope without Jesus

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: There is no Hope without Jesus

Post by PaulSacramento »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Hi Kenny, if I may ask:
What do you think happens to energy?
I am by no means an expert on the subject, but if I recall correctly, one of the laws of thermodynamics (can’t remember which one at the moment) states that energy can't be created nor destroyed. And energy can convert to mass, and mass can convert to energy.

Ken
So energy exists, infinitely?
An Answer to this would be nice...
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I am by no means an expert on the subject, but if I recall correctly, one of the laws of thermodynamics (can’t remember which one at the moment) states that energy can't be created nor destroyed. And energy can convert to mass, and mass can convert to energy.

Ken
The answer I gave you 3 days ago is the best answer I can give you; according to my understanding of the law of thermodynamics, I would assume so.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
The answer I gave you 3 days ago is the best answer I can give you; according to my understanding of the law of thermodynamics, I would assume so.
And, as a Mech Engineer, I can tell you that you are correct according to the law of Thermodynamics.
You realize the implication, yes?
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

God has energy. Energy came from God.
But when He made the creation, how did He give it energy? One could assume energy is infinite so if one part is taken for the creation then it is automatically refilled. What do you think?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
And, as a Mech Engineer, I can tell you that you are correct according to the law of Thermodynamics.
You realize the implication, yes?
As a Christian, I'm sure you have implications; let's hear them.
RickD wrote
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny, if energy can NOT be created and can NOT be destroyed and exists infinitely as YOU state ( and the law of thermodynamics states) then eternity exists for what else is eternity if not infinity and what is infinity if not eternity?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:Kenny, if energy can NOT be created and can NOT be destroyed and exists infinitely as YOU state ( and the law of thermodynamics states) then eternity exists for what else is eternity if not infinity and what is infinity if not eternity?
Is this in reference to when I spoke of the "threat or promise of eternity"? If not, where are you getting at here?
RickD wrote
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

patrick wrote: This interests me. Could you summarize what you mean by it being exposed as a sin?
Clay will give you what was exposed in referenced book, but if you both don't mind, I'd like to enlighten you to how people casually blaspheme the Holy Spirit. The sin unto death is to deny truth, and enough is already in existence to lead people into the truth if they were to seek it out. To not seek it out, is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. A girl once overheard me talking to a friend (Atheist) and asked 'what about being neutral'? To which I responded there is no neutral, because there isn't. One either lives truthfully (in which this personal alignment to truth would naturally follow the genesis of it: God) or one lives delusional (following themselves/others, convincing themselves there is no God).

Now, what does Clay have to say? And how far off are my thoughts from his intent? :mrgreen:
And now that I have your attention, too, Clay. Why do you consider yourself a coward for living for the church instead of dying for it? I find it's a LOT harder to live and it takes much more courage to live day by day than to die for Him. In other words, It's much harder to die to Him day after day, than it is to die once for Him in faith.

@Kenny, Paradise isn't the end game. Cmon, man, pick up some things that we say over the years, yeah?
*Edit: Kenny, energy is eternal. Anything eternal show Gods presence. Stop thinking of God as some dude in the clouds looking down. Don't even relate God to the one revealed through the Torah, Jesus and NT. God is energy; He is light. Recognizing something eternal, even if you ground it physically, is still recognizing a source that brings about everything else, which is God. Whether you want to find out if this God has other characteristics is up to you (intelligence, personality, any sort of will, w/e).
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

patrick wrote: @Kenny, Paradise isn't the end game. Cmon, man, pick up some things that we say over the years, yeah?
Perhaps it isn’t for you, but the person I was responding to seems to see it that way; judging from his response.
Mallz wrote:*Edit: Kenny, energy is eternal. Anything eternal show Gods presence.
That’s your belief not mine.
Mallz wrote:Stop thinking of God as some dude in the clouds looking down.
C’mon, man, pick up some things that I’ve said over the years, yeah?
Mallz wrote:Don't even relate God to the one revealed through the Torah, Jesus and NT. God is energy; He is light.
Oh so God is energy? God is light? As you know; energy and light does convert to matter; so is God material? spirit? both?

Ken
RickD wrote
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
Mallz wrote:Don't even relate God to the one revealed through the Torah, Jesus and NT. God is energy; He is light.
Oh so God is energy? God is light? As you know; energy and light does convert to matter; so is God material? spirit? both?
Kenny, I note in your posts to PaulS (and some exchanges we had years back), that you believe energy or matter to be the thing that has always existed. As I understand, you take the position that energy (or something physical/material-like) is foundational to everything else that exists.

I've since become a bit more familiar with Aquinas' works and see an opportunity to continue such discussion with new knowledge. For with Aquinas (and even Aristotle), much ado is made about potentiality and change, and when applied to energy we see that even infinite energy requires something to move it, if it indeed can be transformed into matter (or something else).

We might say "energy" is infinite. Yet, in response to Mallz you say that "energy" has potential to be converted into matter. As I understand this is correct and what science says. My question then is who/what is the actor acting upon infinite energy to move (convert) it into matter? You see, while you/we might ascribe infiniteness to something like energy, such doesn't remove the need for it to have a cause if it has potentiality to change.

As a side, quantum experiments have shown an observer is needed to have photons behave like matter (particles), otherwise a wave effect is had. Therefore, it seems that we don't just need energy, but also consciousness of some sort to move (convert) energy into matter. In other words, consciousness acting upon energy appears necessary to actualise its potential form of matter. Whether such consciousness is eternally inherent in the fabric of nature/the universe, or belongs to some super intelligent being like God as Jews/Christians believe, it seems to me science proves materialism/physicalism fails.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Kenny wrote:
Mallz wrote:*Edit: Kenny, energy is eternal. Anything eternal show Gods presence.
What is your belief?
Then please correct my misconceptions. What is God, beyond a personal identity? The basics? (could even be the multiverse)
God is energy and all that exists appears from Him and we exist in Him and He could displace this energy holding existence together and everything would perish. Forming matter from light, creating from energy. God isn't material, nor is He His creations, yet He is present in subset of it all.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Kenny, if energy can NOT be created and can NOT be destroyed and exists infinitely as YOU state ( and the law of thermodynamics states) then eternity exists for what else is eternity if not infinity and what is infinity if not eternity?
Is this in reference to when I spoke of the "threat or promise of eternity"? If not, where are you getting at here?
You said you don't believe in eternity.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote: As a side, quantum experiments have shown an observer is needed to have photons behave like matter (particles), otherwise a wave effect is had. Therefore, it seems that we don't just need energy, but also consciousness of some sort to move (convert) energy into matter. In other words, consciousness acting upon energy appears necessary to actualise its potential form of matter. Whether such consciousness is eternally inherent in the fabric of nature/the universe, or belongs to some super intelligent being like God as Jews/Christians believe, it seems to me science proves materialism/physicalism fails.
Are you sure consciousness is required to move/convert energy into matter? Or is this just speculation on your part because based on what we know it seems to make sense.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
You said you don't believe in eternity.
What was the context of which I said this?
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote:
Mallz wrote: What is your belief?
That eternal does not show God's presence
Mallz wrote: Then please correct my misconceptions. What is God, beyond a personal identity? The basics? (could even be the multiverse)
I don't believe in God.
Mallz wrote: God is energy and all that exists appears from Him and we exist in Him and He could displace this energy holding existence together and everything would perish. Forming matter from light, creating from energy. God isn't material, nor is He His creations, yet He is present in subset of it all.
Do you believe energy converts to matter, and visa versa?
RickD wrote