Christian Testimonies - Share yours?

Share how you became a Christian, or experiences from your Christian life.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Christian Testimonies - Share yours?

Post by cslewislover »

Yes, Daluzinal, welcome! Thanks so much for sharing that, and it's so wonderful to read. :esmile: I hope you have a nice time with the board here.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Daluzinal
Acquainted Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Daluzinal »

Thanks for the welcomes :esmile:
For_Narniaaa
Established Member

Post by For_Narniaaa »

My testimony isn't one experience I can look back on. I was raised in a Christian home and was saved at a very early age. So sometimes it's hard for me to remember life before Christ...I don't have any emptiness to look back on. All I've known is Christ. Instead, my relationship with God has been heavily focused on growth. When I felt I wasn't moving forward, I asked God to give me thirst. Suddenly, I had all of these deep theological questions come to my mind, and they had me digging in my Bible and panning around sites like these every spare moment. So instead of having one testimony to look back on, it's really more like a series of events where God has shown up and proven Himself and His care for me. But as I read in a book once, it doesn't matter if you were saved five years ago---it matters if you're saved TODAY. I really think that phrase is the story of my walk with God, because even though I can't recall the first time I was saved, I've rededicated my life again and again...because believe me, it's been necessary. ;)

"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." ~Proverbs 1:7

"The God of the universe---the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor---loves you with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love." ~Francis Chan

Banner credit: arwen-undomiel.com
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by ageofknowledge »

I was raised in a wealthy rich Orange County CA suburb and attended private schools earning straight A's until age 15 at which point my parents constant drinking and fighting resulted in a divorce and they each found new life partners. I turned to drugs, alcohol, and older high school women to salve the pain. I was arrested later in the ninth grade at the prestigious prep school I attended. The police pulled me from Geography class and brought me to the principal's office which they had converted into an interrogation room. I was interrogated by a detective, fingerprinted, and photographed. I found out later I was facing an attempted murder charge. One of my parents was a prestigious attorney and a deal was struck. I had to leave the state until my 18th birthday and they had to pay a substantial amount of money to the victim. They dumped me in an orphanage in Idaho and I was on my own. I survived those conditions for 1 1/2 years before escaping through the snow in the dead of night. After finally being picked up, they were going to turn me over to the state to become a state raised youth but my dad showed up and took me back to a ghetto in California he was living in as he gave everything to my mother and simply walked away not even taking his clothes out of the closet (though I wasn't yet 18). I was the only white teen in a ghetto of violent Mexicans who hated all whites and constantly in danger of losing my life from latino gangs. I slept on a couch in the living room of a 1 bedroom flat and made the best life I could under those circumstances. I had many dangerous adventures some of which I narrowly survived. As soon as I turned 18 I joined the military and left that place never to return.

After being honorably discharged, I wandered the high deserts of California like Kwai Chang Caine moving from dusty town to dusty town having many crazy adventures. But I witnessed many terrible things. Young people shooting meth into their veins, selling themselves, violence, cruelty, etc... were the norm in those towns. Finally an event occurred that caused me to rethink my life for the first time. A lady I knew was murdered and one of my associates shot three times trying to save her life from an enraged ex-boyfriend (who was quickly caught and later convicted of first degree murder).

I had had enough. I moved to Yucaipa California and found work. Shortly after that I found a good church there and began following Christ at that church. Then I went up to the community college and finished an A.A. at night with honors. Then I moved and found a better job, finished a bachelors of science with an a average, and became a certified network engineer with Novell. I began taking donated computers and working with my church to build computer education systems for low income churches. Then I found a better job, finished an MBA with straight As, and about 15 of the hardest computer certs with companies like Microsoft, Cisco, etc... I became involved in gang ministry with Victory Outreach for 4 years. Then I found a better job and finished the RTB certified science apologist certificate and a bunch more computer certs. Then I was downsized and it all came to an end. I spent two years working very hard to find work but was not hired. Then waves of crippling arthirits washed over me and I became unable to work full time but was not yet crippled enough for disability. So I went through my savings, 401ks, and lost everything I owned including my medical insurance. I finished a Master of Divinity in the process with an A average.

So now I live in a room of a family members house and have a truck and remain sick and unemployed and wonder what to do. This is now my life. I try not to take it too seriously but sometimes still do. Especially when another level of disfigurement strikes my body. The only redeeming factor in all of this has been that I am fortunate enough to never have married (I have been a celibate Christian since 24 when I started following Christ) and have children. That would have been tragic to take down a family to this level.

So how about you? What's your testimony?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

ageofknowledge wrote:...So how about you? What's your testimony?
Thanks for your testimony - you should consider writing a book! We'll keep praying for you and if I am in your area — I'll try to look you up and come by for a visit.

God's Blessing and full manifested healing be upon you!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by ageofknowledge »

B. W. wrote:
ageofknowledge wrote:...So how about you? What's your testimony?
Thanks for your testimony - you should consider writing a book! We'll keep praying for you and if I am in your area — I'll try to look you up and come by for a visit.

God's Blessing and full manifested healing be upon you!
-
-
-
Thank you for your kind words BW. I'll pass on writing a book though and enjoy the books of those (like yourself) whose message is unique and important :). Peace.
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

I was born and raised in a Christian home, however I wasn't a true Christian. I believed, and yet at times I could have cared less. There were even times I didn't believe in God. I was just a regular sunday Christian going through the motions. It wasn't until highschool that I came to Christ, and that was only because he intervined.

I was about sixteen when I was saved. It happened only a few nights after a had two dreams, one of heaven, the other of my own hell. I still regret to this day that God had to go through with showing me those things just to get me to believe.

The first dream was the one of heaven. I stood before Christ himself. He was dressed in a long white flowing robe and he wore a crown of thorns. He stood before a tall stone structure almost like a medivel tower. There was a staircase that wrapped around it on the outside and there were no walls, each floor was held up by pillars. As I approached Him, He began to ascend the stairs. I gave chase all the while calling out to him. "Wait I need some answers! Why am I here? I don't belong here!" I instinctivly knew that I was in the wrong place if I had died. He never stopped to answer me until we were almost at the top, then He turned and said "I have much to do, there is much to prepare for. You must seek the Father." As he said that he disapeared into a flash of light. I began to walk down the stairs when I saw the Angel of the Lord (that would be Jesus again) standing on one of the floors. When I approached him I asked him why I was there. His response was simple and clear, "You need to wake up."

At the time I didn't know what that ment. It wasn't until after the next dream, which I do not wish to share or remember, that I understood. I needed to wake up spiritually. When I realized all that I had seen I came to faith in Christ, I accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and saviour. That's how I came to faith.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

That's wonderful Gabrielman - I'm glad you were able to give yourself to Christ. I'm glad Christ takes the time (or . . . whatever) to be with each one of us! :esmile:
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Pharisee no more, child come home.

Post by Gabrielman »

Here before you is a man, if one can call me that, who knows all too well the price to fall. My first post is true, I did not lie. God showed me heaven, and hell. That did it, for the time.
Maybe a little clarification is in order. I didn't back slide, I turned away and ran. I betrayed God, sinned aginst Him. I drove the nails, cracked the whip, and thrust that spear time and again. I lived for a while with the mask of a Christian, something that was false.
As Cities Burn said it best in the song Empire. "I had an angel's smile, hiding a vultures bite, I have no use for your redeeming blood. Aren't I glory, glorious" "Cause I was a pharisee, I never saw my need for grace. Then your love it came to me. Stood next to mine and I saw that I was poor... Show me I was poor!"
I was the fool, the wolf in sheeps skin, the viper, the pharisee... the son who was lost. Detail is meaningless, I did not do His works, I did my own. I taught Him, for my own glory. I was first, I was good, I was wrong!
I am the lost sheep found a new. I have been saved, from a time and place way worse than the first time around. I have heard the saying to live face down, it makes sense to me now, it is where I will stay. I am home now, back with the Lord.
He forgives, how can't I? He loves, so must I! I will live face down to work for God, and this time he will lead, I will follow.
He never once left me, He was there, waiting for me. He knew I would be back, He stood at the ready to pick me up when I fell.
Lead me Lord, teach me, show me what's good.

We are all sinners, called to repent. God will forgive us. I mourn for my sins of the past, I will let them remind me of what I have done, where I have been. To forgive and forget.... God forgives you, if you seek it, he will forget your trasgretions, you are saved.
I felt I must write this. I felt Him tell me I need to share. Know that He will be there, when you are ready.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCze1X1f ... L&index=17
The song I will remember the rest of my life.
I stand with no right to judge, no right to hold your sins to you.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

:esmile: I don't know . . . I just wanted to post something in response, a poem, and this seemed to be the most appropriate one I had on hand . . .

Palm Sunday, by Christina Rossetti

I lift mine eyes, and see
Thee, tender Lord, in pain upon the tree,
Athirst for my sake and athirst for me.

"Yea, look upon Me there,
Compassed with thorns and bleeding everywhere,
For thy sake bearing all, and glad to bear."

I lift my heart to pray:
Thou Who didst love me all that darkened day,
Wilt Thou not love me to the end alway?

"Yea, thee My wandering sheep,
Yea, thee My scarlet sinner slow to weep,
Come to Me, I will love thee and will keep."

Yet am I racked with fear:
Behold the unending outer darkness drear,
Behold the gulf unbridgeable and near!

"Nay, fix thy heart, thine eyes,
Thy hope upon My boundless sacrifice:
Will I lose lightly one so dear-bought prize?"

Ah, Lord; it is not Thou,
Thou that wilt fail; yet woe is me, for how
Shall I endure who half am failing now?

"Nay, weld thy resolute will
To Mine: glance not aside for good or ill:
I love thee; trust Me still and love Me still."

Yet Thou Thyself hast said,
When Thou shalt sift the living from the dead
Some must depart shamed and uncomforted.

"Judge not before that day:
Trust Me with all thy heart, even tho' I slay:
Trust Me in love, trust on, love on, and pray."
treeschanna510
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by treeschanna510 »

i used to have asthma like really bad ashtma when ever my mom tried to make me take my medicine i always said "why should i ,i dont even have asthma in the first place" for years no matter how bad it got i always denied i had asthma and then i went to the doctor and they found no trace of it and i no longer needed my medicine ive been off of it for 9 years now
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. Romans 8:28-30

amen
touchingcloth
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by touchingcloth »

My testimonial:
- Grew up in a christian family, but was an unbeliever
- Started going to the youth group at church, made loads of new friends there
- After a few weekends away etc. became a christian
- Wrestled with my beliefs for a few years, always trying to make them gel with reality
- Eventually, after lots of reading of biblical scripture, other religious texts & science texts came to the conclusion that there's nothing to christianity so I became an atheist
- Stayed an atheist
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Maybe you'll be the next Antony Flew.
touchingcloth
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by touchingcloth »

cslewislover wrote:Maybe you'll be the next Antony Flew.
What, and become a rather weak form of a deist when my mental faculties start to fail me somewhat?
Aye, maybe.