Christian Testimonies - Share yours?

Share how you became a Christian, or experiences from your Christian life.
Dallas
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Christian Testimonies - Share yours?

Post by Dallas »

Good evening,

This will actually be posting my second testimony on here, first one is a little less detailed. Nevertheless, here it is.

My name is Dallas, and I am 17 years of age. I am in my senior year of High school, and I accepted Christ when I was about 11 years of age. Yet, I did it so I could be acknowledged by my sister. The reason why I did it was because the week prior, my step-brother accepted Christ, and my sister was so happy for him, and I wanted the same feeling. But, all I got from her was "Good for you." That was kinda of a heart breaker for me.

A little about my home life. My parents got a divorce when I was around the age of four. I was told I made the decision to live with my father, but I have no recollection of that. So we lived with my grandma for a little while. (Skipping a few months), my father met my step-mother on an online chat, so to speak. That's how I got with my step-mother. Skipping... My grandma made us go to church with her, and I despised it. Skipping... We moved into a trailer after being in two other houses. At this time we are living with my step-mother and her two kids. Between all of us, there are seven, My father, sister, brother, Step-Mother, her two boys, and Me. So, there was never any money in the house because how many mouths to feed. Still to this day, there is no money. Nevertheless, I grew up in an atheist household, but we were forced to go to church, so my parents could be alone. I hated it! Getting kicked out every Sunday morning, and Wednesday night, so they can be alone. This is where my hatred for my parents started to come in. Skipping... Around 9th grade I was confronted with my very first atheist who was very clear about what he believed. For reference I am 13 turning 14. Now, I didn't have a strong relationship as I do now with God, so it got me questioning. A year passed and I entered my biology class. Very first time I learned about Evolution, in a deep manner. That staggered the little faith I had, and I considered myself to be agnostic at that time. I'm still going to church, learning what I can, etc... but not caring for God. It was not until last year (2011) that I made my decision was there is a Living Breathing God. I'll get to that later.

My father... I despise my father at the time being, for the man that he is. Everything he does makes me mad, get's me upset, but I hold my feelings in. I'll tell you why. My father is your typical drunk, coming home after work in the worst mood ever, and having alcohol in his system just makes it worse. Every little thing that we do makes him mad. The neglect, name calling, mental abuse he caused us... It was all for nothing. I was talking to my grandma about it, and she said that's how he says "I love you." If that's how he shows his "love" i'm glad i'm getting away from him. He... left something missing in my heart, that I wish I could have, but I can't. The feeling of love. Love was never in my home life, when I fell for that girl, my biggest desire was for her to say the words "I love you for who you are." But, that didn't happen :). The feeling of someone being there for you, is all I really want.

Back to God. I mentioned earlier that I came to realization of God being real. This occurred during a testimony day my new Youth pastor set up when he first arrived. There were two people that made me extremely upset about what I do not have. I was upset because I didn't have a story to tell. Everyone had a story, but when I went up there... I had nothing. I remember the tears running down my eyes when everyone left. It was then when I decided I'm going to serve the Ruler of everything for the rest of my life. I wanted a story to tell... So I decided I'm going to major in Theology. Lord Willing, I'll get my PH.D in it, but it's too soon to tell.

With God, I'll have the story he wants for me, and not the story I'm going to write.

Thank you,

-Dallas
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Thanks for sharing Dallas and God bless!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

cslewislover wrote:I'm glad you found the thread!! Thanks for writing that for us - it's so very encouraging to see God working. Thanks!
I like that about the sun.. It's profound.
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

Prodigal Son wrote:muhammad has shared so many heartfelt christianity-to-islam testimonies. do you guys have any testimonies to share? how has christianity changed your life? why are you christian and not atheist/muslim/agnostic/etc.? what does being christian mean to you? i'll share my story, but later on...i have a headache! :)
Hello prodigal... There's no conversion for me.. I do believe islam as much as I believe Isaac is the younger brother of Ishmael.

We're brethren... But your mom is the bondmaid.. I ain't mad at you.

--- IN CHRIST ---

bradford
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Re:

Post by Bradigans »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Well, I was agnostic because evolution had been proven as a fact I was taught, but then, I didn't want to believe this life is all there is, so I held out for a God. Then, in 9th grade, I just read one of the many problems with evolution....It was the horse one, and I don't know, this wouldn't be enough to convince most people, but when I saw that the number of ribs popped up and down...I realized, as the book said, they were just pieced together from small to large. After that, I had peace...because, before...I worried about EVERYTHING. Not after that-even though school got harder (which is why I worried). And, as I later found out, nobody but Christians tolerate Christianity...and as I like being the underdog, and as it seemed to fit the idea that the only true religion would be despised by all others...here I be (the divinity of Christ helped out a little, of course, in me getting a somewhat stronger faith) :wink:
I apologize if someone has already addressed you as thus follows...

Have you had a rebirth John 3:3, John 3:6)??? A lot of people are looking for an intellectual faith.. That type of faith nor having a general knowledge of THE DIVINITY of Christ will save you.

You spoke about getting a somewhat stronger faith, but have you ever really believed??? Not trying to attack you.. Just curious and being a little inquisitive.

--- IN CHRIST ---

bradford
Dudeacus97
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Dudeacus97 »

Hello, I am not sharing my name and I am probably the youngest person on this website, at the age of 14 and going into my sophmore year this fall. This was also the age when I accepted Christ both in the heart and the brain.

I first started to go to church when I was 11 because I used to blurt out stupid stuff ("Where's God?") in the middle of the sermon. After that, I considered myself somewhat religious, and even more when I was 13 and I first heard somebody insult my faith in class while we were studying Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I didn't know what to say, and eventually when I was 13, my faith was shattered when I read those acid-lined atheistic comments that can be defeated by anybody who knows apologetics, but I did not know that the field existed at the time.

Later, I saw my first apologetic content/whatever: a YouTube video called "Atheism Easily Owned by SugaNutt" posted by a guy named SugaNutt. It wasn't exactly a scholoarly source, it was largely a fun one, referencing movies and stuff throughout the video. It did, however, have some content from people like William Lane Craig and Anthony Flew. Unfortunately, the video was taken down and his other videos aren't as good.

Later, in April, I attended "holy spirit saturday" at my church. It was the greatest time of my life, since that was the first time I was filled with the Holy Spirit. I could not describe the feeling in any words.

Now, even though I have some pockets of doubt, I continue to read apologetic books and this website and I seek to help convert some local atheists in school (hard to do over the summer, though) with my knowledge. Apologetics leads a horse to water, but only the holy spirit can make it drink.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Welcome to the forum Dudeacus97...

For right now, stay in learning mode before trying to witness to the atheist crowd. Learn and watch and read on this forum as well and also post... read some of Lee Strobels books as well and CS Lewis books also - those are good starts.

Welcome
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Dudeacus97
Established Member

Post by Dudeacus97 »

B. W. wrote:Welcome to the forum Dudeacus97...

For right now, stay in learning mode before trying to witness to the atheist crowd. Learn and watch and read on this forum as well and also post... read some of Lee Strobels books as well and CS Lewis books also - those are good starts.

Welcome
-
-
-
Do you think I'll have trouble understandng Lee Strobel's books? If they're like this website or What's so Great about Christianity, then I think they'll be fine.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I brought this topic back because Christian testimonies seem to interest some here. y/:) Looking over the 14 pages of this topic, I see that many interesting people have left...I wonder why?

Do you think they've been raptured and we are Left Behind?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I brought this topic back because Christian testimonies seem to interest some here. y/:) Looking over the 14 pages of this topic, I see that many interesting people have left...I wonder why?

FL
FL, this seems to be the perfect segue so you can give your "wake up saved" testimony.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

RickD wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I brought this topic back because Christian testimonies seem to interest some here. y/:) Looking over the 14 pages of this topic, I see that many interesting people have left...I wonder why?

FL
FL, this seems to be the perfect segue so you can give your "wake up saved" testimony.
:pound: Rick has given it a catch phrase now, talk about a dog with a bone.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
I had to look up the word ''segue''! That RickD ( y:o) ) has quite a vocabulary!

Now to things more urgent: I promise to read the testimony of the next person who posts on this thread.

Go ahead.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
CazPerth
Recognized Member
Sex: Female

Post by CazPerth »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
I had to look up the word ''segue''! That RickD ( y:o) ) has quite a vocabulary!

Now to things more urgent: I promise to read the testimony of the next person who posts on this thread.

Go ahead.

FL
Ok I hope you are still around to read this :)
I was an atheist with a firm belief that Creationists were just nutty fundamentalists, that Evolution was so obvious and all the evil done in the name of "God" so great that I could no way believe in God or the Bible. I thought I was a Humanist and read books by Dawkins and Krauss. Four months ago I was driving home from a friends house, we'd been talking about her faith in God and I had become envious of her having such a strong belief in something that made her so happy, even though I thought what she believes in is nonsense. That was when I felt Jesus speak to me "I am here if you want me", right when I am driving down the freeway. I wept and suddenly felt like I could believe even if I had fake it 'til I make it!

I read the Gospels when I got home. I was so moved by the crucification accounts I cried some more. I've read the Bible every day since and nothing but Theology and Apologetics (I used to read 2 or 3 crime novels a week before that) I am so hungry to learn everything I've missed out on since declaring myself an atheist 43 years ago at th age of 10.

I believe my conversion was made by the Holy Spirit working in me. God put the light in my heart at just the right time when I was ready to act on it.

Sometimes I can hardly contain my excitement about how wonderful God is and the message of salvation. Most of my friends and family are atheist so they think I am just a bit weird right now but maybe the spark will light up their minds too. I think God wants people who knew me before to see how much happier I am and how I am still pretty much the same person - just a better version of me.

Love
Carolyn
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Carolyn, what a fantastic testimony! You wanted what your friend had - you recognized it was something important that brought profound happiness to her life, even though you didn't understand it to be rational. And Jesus wanted you to know that He is both real and also was immediately available to you as well. God knows that many of those exposed to the Gospel and the witness of Christians are drawn to it and want to believe it, if only they could. And then He provides the "could/can." In fact, He knew you would respond as you did to His wooing and this is why He was also drawing you before revealing Himself more fully - a journey which will continuously grow. But many are exposed to the Gospel, countless rational and emotional reasons to believe, the testimony of Christians - and they RUN from it. They COULD believe - God is more than ready to make that available to them - but as THEY really don't want to, thus God won't force them to.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

CazPerth wrote:Ok I hope you are still around to read this :D
Yes...I read your testimony. I see that we have a lot in common.

FL

+ + +

+ + +