Christian Testimonies - Share yours?

Share how you became a Christian, or experiences from your Christian life.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Christian Testimonies - Share yours?

Post by DannyM »

StMonicaGuideMe wrote:
DannyM wrote:Lovely stuff, StMonica. I like you a lot.
Awwww, thanks Danny, I like you, too! I did steal your comment after-all :slol:
y>:D< :lol: I just noticed this. You're welcome to it. And after all, I hardly dreamt it up.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

StMonicaGuideMe wrote:
RickD wrote:Wow, StMonica, quite a post. I'm glad you feel comfortable enough here that you could open up like that. I pray that God will lead you in what you're going through. I think you've found a family here.
Thanks, Rick. It's funny you should say that...I wasn't so concerned with what content I was sharing, but how best to describe it. I haven't been here that long, but somehow, I have the sense that my thoughts are safe. It was almost too easy to share, how strange!

I think I've found a good bunch of people here, and I'm so honoured you've all welcomed me so warmly. God bless you all abundantly y:x
StMonica, may I ask, are you British, or Australian?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

RickD wrote:StMonica, may I ask, are you British, or Australian?
Canadian :wave: I should probably put that on my profile....eh? :lol:
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

StMonicaGuideMe wrote:
RickD wrote:StMonica, may I ask, are you British, or Australian?
Canadian :wave: I should probably put that on my profile....eh? :lol:
Ah, Canadian. I didn't even think of that. I was watching Holmes on Homes, the other night. All the people were saying "ewt", for out. I thought my " Bahston " accent was funny. :pound:

You don't have to put your location in your profile. The reason I asked, is because you spelled "honoured", with a u. I thought that was a British spelling. My "American" version iPod, corrects my spelling if I put a u in honored.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Haha, yeah I figured that's why you asked. Very observant of you! I live in Ontario so there's quite a mix of accents here. I don't say "ewt" but I definitely pronounce my U's more strongly :P
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Update to my testimony: it seems like there's no hope for my husband and I to reconcile at the moment. I think he regrets marrying me and just didn't speak up before it was too late. Perhaps he hoped for the best in spite of his concerns (the same fault I'm also guilty of). I know God will purify and sanctify me through this great trial...but it's so hard...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

StMonicaGuideMe wrote:Update to my testimony: it seems like there's no hope for my husband and I to reconcile at the moment. I think he regrets marrying me and just didn't speak up before it was too late. Perhaps he hoped for the best in spite of his concerns (the same fault I'm also guilty of). I know God will purify and sanctify me through this great trial...but it's so hard...
Sorry to hear what you're going through. There is always hope, if it's God's will for you to be together. Continue to pray for God's will in this. I hope you don't mind that I'm praying for you, as well.

-Edward R Murrow

StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Oh, heavens Rick. Of course I don't mind that you're praying for me!!! I'm moved to tears that you would. Thank you so, so much. I will keep you and your family in my prayers, too.

Indeed. God's will be done!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

StMonicaGuideMe wrote:Oh, heavens Rick. Of course I don't mind that you're praying for me!!! I'm moved to tears that you would. Thank you so, so much. I will keep you and your family in my prayers, too.

Indeed. God's will be done!
Thanks, StM

-Edward R Murrow

wrain62
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by wrain62 »

Haha this brings me happinrss. :D
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Here is my story.

I grew up in an atheistic family. Well, better to say, not exactly atheistic. My mother is not an atheist, but my father is and he had dominance in this. So, we were grown up as atheists. I already said elsewhere why my father became an atheist thought his parents were believers. As a young child he was too forced I think. He was even sent to a priest to live with for several months. It was not a good experience for him. My father is very inteligent and the priest could not probably answer his questions in a satisfying way. Well, I have doubts about whether he even tried to answer his questions. My father had to obey and period. So, the whole basic school I was an atheist. But I was not that kind of atheist you normally meet. My best friend was a Christian and we had lot of fun as well as debate together. We were also outsiders in our class. We were very good friends. This was the basic school. Then I went to gymnasium. I think I was in the 2nd class when during one break I also with my very good friend at gymnasium saw on a notice-board announcement about one party. Our english teacher told us about that party. I should also mention that there came teachers from the USA to participate on the teaching. (To tell you in advance, they were also missionairies.) So we went to the adress written on the notice-board. We wanted to say that we would like to be present at that party. (It was for St. Patrick's day.) One women with blond hair opened us the door. (That women then become my good friend for some time.) I remember we cooked a green cake with my mum. (Was a success by the way.) And that's how I met with two missionaries. Then with their boss they soon established an institute (tee-house at the beginning) where people could meet and talk. I found some good friends there. One friend I valued very much. At that time, almost all my friends were Christians and I still was an atheist. Time when I was in my 3rd class was very hard for me. I even got B from math at the end of the school-year. I remember my hardest 3 days when I felt so bad that I had to lie in bed. It was like falling down and down into the great abyss. On the third day I reached the total bottom of the abyss. And then I bounced. That's how I felt. I started to recover and on the fourth day I was again ok. That was my first experience with depression. But as you saw, I more-or-less recovered soon. In my 4th class I had only As from math again.

When I finished gymnasium I was thinking to study philosophy or physics. What to choose? I did not know, so I went to the town library and borrowed a philosophical book. When I came home I opened it. There I read: "Is the tree I am looking at really a tree?" I had enough. I closed the book, brought it back to the libraary and went to study physics. While being at university (well, those times were just great due to physics) I from time to time met the friend I mentioned I valued much. But then Somehow we slowly split up. Sad, but that's life.
During my whole studies I had only one B and I graduated with rector's commendation.

I do not know precisely when I turned from atheism to agnosticism but probably during my PhD studies at Vienna. Everyday I commuted from Bratislava to Vienna by train. I spent a lot of time in train with my small eee pc notebook (on which I am writing this story right now). And I was discussing the God with my new friend. He was that boss of the missionaries I already mentioned. How I met him? Once, when I was really sad that I and my friend split up I wrote him an email. I asked him on the friendships between believers and non-believers generally. He was very nice. We kept talking and soon we changed the topic toward God. I was bold, really bold sometimes but he endured. I was not rude, not at all, I was totally candid and said what I felt and sometimes it was bold. We become friend. I became agnostic. I wrote what I felt and he was candid as well. I am now very grateful for him.

Now the probably most important part. How I became a Christian. Well, because of two reasons. One is intelectual (there are really good sites one can read really clever stuff). The other one is, well, I rather tell the story. It happend that I again felt into depression. This time it was even worse. I was even thinking to commit a suicide. It was really, really bad. I felt that doctors could not help me as well. I did not want to live that way any longer. I made sad my friends, my relatives and all around, esp. my boyfriend. I wanted to be there for him and for my family and my friends, but I was not able. So, I made one very clever thing. I asked God to help me, to recover me, to heal me. And voila, I am here. (And I am about to earn my PhD degree from particle physics (should finish in April).

That's all for now. GB.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Wow! I certainly was not expecting this ^. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. God certainly works in mysterious ways. Praise to Him always.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Concerning the expectiations, I love one quote:

"Expect people to be better than they are; it helps them to become better. But don't be disappointed when they're not; it helps them to keep trying."-- Merry Browne
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

Very interesting testimony, thank you for that.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Wow! That is a really good insight into who you are and where you are coming from. It really is courageous of you to open yourself so much, and I very much respect you doing that. I am glad you are here and I appreciate the thoughtful contributions that you make to many conversations, even those that at times might feel uncomfortable. It really helps to put what you say into context knowing now some of your background and you personally.

I hope you continue to know you are welcome here and that we value your thoughts and input. God's blessings upon you.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender